The Real Madrid 21/22 Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Jul 25, 2021.

1. RMrules

RMrules Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 12, 2019
    i hope Odegaard bring some creativity and energy into the team,but the guy is just too slow for our style and in terms of quality he is nowhere near as talented as Ozil/Isco

2. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I think we need another CB. Militao and Nacho were excellent last season, Alaba can play there, but we need someone else, considering how unlucky we are with injuries.

We have a very versatile backline with Mendy, Lucas, Alaba, Nacho, all able to switch positions but a pure 4th CB is necessary.

Odegaard has to stay and deliver, work more and talk less.

Isco and Marcelo must go.

Valverde needs more minutes (and luck).

We need at least one world-class attacker, or we won't have a chance this year.

BjornH and RMrules repped this.
  3. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saadomar, Pundorikakho, Drouchk and 3 others repped this.
  4. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    So is our next friendly really the 8th vs. Milan? Are we not playing any non-showcase matches against Segunda teams or similar?

It seems like we have a paucity of fixtures this year. Is it just how compresses everything has been? Given the new manager, ample squad list, and youngsters trying to make an impression, I expected some lower key matches.

5. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Odd planning. Maybe Covid issues causing scheduling problems with other clubs? Read we were trying to setup another match but that’s all.

6. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Whats the point though, most of the first team regulars are not ready to play games yet.

BjornH repped this.
  7. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played against Fuenlabrada and Rayo Vallecano behind closed doors prior to the Rangers game. 3-1 victory against Fuenlabrada and 1-1 draw to Rayo.

Of course, those were also prior to most of the squad returning to training.

Lyra repped this.
  8. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    To see the players who aren't clear first team players and to judge which of them can contribute. Obviously training is helpful for that, but there's no replacing game time.

benny_madridista and Digital repped this.
  9. benny_madridista

Real Madrid
    Nov 30, 2020
    Actually those two were just training games and not proper preseason friendlies.
    We could have just played against 2nd or 3rd division sides to help the players get back into the match rhythm.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  10. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When this team is healthy (and assuming the team stays as presently constructed, hopefully we're getting Mbappe),

I hope this is the lineup Ancelotti deploys:

Rodrygo Benzema Odegaard
    Kroos Casemiro Valverde
    Mendy Alaba Militao Carvajal

A few reasons come to mind:

1. The youthful energy, pace, and work rate of both Fede and Martin.

2. The flexibility of 4 midfielders. Fede can shoot up the flank at times while Martin drops back.

3. The press resistance of Martin and Kroos should be conducive to dominating possession.

4. The ability of Martin, Toni, and Alaba to thread the needle with through balls.

5. Rodrygo and his clinical finishing on his preferred left side to pair with Benzema.

This tactical set up just seems to have it all for me. Young legs, technical class, creativity, flexibility, and decent finishing. Of course, Modric will get his games too.

All that said, Kroos is injured and it looks like he will miss 1-2 months of the start of the season. I really don't know what Ancelotti is going to do to replace him. Fede and Martin are both different profiles.

PigBenis, Lyra, Shay Z and 1 other person repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Modric is still better than anybody.

Digital, lukita, Ahmadi8 and 3 others repped this.
  12. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019
    I will go with this lineup:
    Cortuois
    Alaba - Nacho - Militao - Carvajal
    Casemiro (DM)
    Valverde - Odegard
    Rodrygo - Benzema - Hazard

2 attacking RB / LB who knows how to contribute to the attack
    1 DM
    2 CM as new energy, speed and creativity for middle field
    And 3 trio’s in the attack
    Modric and kroos can help a lot as substitute. Also Vini and Asensio as backup

13. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Odegaard who couldn't consistently start for Arsenal should just walk into our starting lineup?

Yeah, if we're morbidly terrible...

I expect Benzema with heavy doses of Bale, Vinicius and Rodyrgo. Hazard whenever he can play and Asensio just to annoy me.

Digital, Shay Z, Anon. and 1 other person repped this.
  14. NotPython

NotPython Red Card

Real Madrid
    Jul 24, 2021
    I too prefer this line-up

If we want to qualify for Europa league

15. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #165 MiamiNative0722, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    It's not like our right wing options have done much to secure that spot.

Of course, Martin has to earn it with performances in our shirt. I'm simply suggesting a tactical set up that I think can be very formidable against any style of play.

The way I envision Martin in this role is not as a traditional right winger. He can be inverted especially with his left leg, he can move centrally, he can drop back to let Fede or an overlapping fullback to take the space.

Against Barcelona, we had much success with a Kroos Casemiro Modric and Fede combo, a 4 man midfield but Fede was given a more free role. This worked because 4 bodies in midfield allowed us to help win possession and also an extra body dropping to defend. I envision the same but with Fede and Martin together. I think it could work even better as Martin is probably better in the attack than Fede.

Against teams that deploy low blocks, we need young legs to press high and prevent counter attacks and we also need players that can pick a pass through tight spaces.

Just tactically speaking, I don't see the typical 433 with our current crop of wingers having the same level of production. Not in possession, chance creation, or defending.

Lyra repped this.
  16. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can’t really think of a CM I’d start over in-form, healthy Modric in a one-off, do or die final.

We just have to manage his time.

Digital repped this.
  17. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lyra repped this.
  18. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019
    Why? nacho and Militao played great last season.
    Alaba is better then mendy and can contribute to the attack.
    casemiro and valverde already played together and play well. hazard seems to be in shape this last week, and Benzema and Rodrygo all ready played together as starters.

19. DoughB

DoughB Member

Real Madrid
    Oct 26, 2020
    Kroos being out is pretty ********ed up. We'll probably notice it in the first few games at least. Less organized play mainly.

Lyra and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  20. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Especially against high press teams, Kroos’ press resistance is fundamental for our possession play. I don’t think Fede or Martin have that capability. To be fair to them, there are few midfielders in the world, if any at all, that can hold the ball under pressure like Antonio.

However, against low blocks, I think our midfield depth should hold up. Younger legs on the counter, perhaps more risk taking in the final 3rd.

All in all, we simply won’t possess as well without him. That also leads to more of the ball and chances for our opponents.

DoughB repped this.
  21. DoughB

DoughB Member

Real Madrid
    Oct 26, 2020
    Yup and add new coach, system and "new" players to Toni's injury.. Going to be very interesting for sure lol.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  22. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    The only way I see Odegaard starting consistently is through patience and a complete attitude change. Also Ancelotti moving to his 4312 and making Odegaard play in the hole.

If those things don't occur, I don't see it. On the right side we have Bale and Rodrygo.

Digital repped this.
  23. RMSocrates

RMSocrates Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Is it me or does this jersey look way too much like a Chelsea one?

Maybe it’s just Hazard in the pic doing that to me. Lol

Anon. and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  24. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... we should definitely win La Liga now :sneaky:

25. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    If we still end 10-20 points behind Messi-less Barça in La Liga, we will look ridiculous.