The real Hex standings

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nermalthecat, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, if CR loses to TT, we're in even if we lose both remaining games, as we have 16 points and CR has 12.

If TT and CR tie, then, we're practically qualified. If we lose @ Hon by 2 goals, and CR draw, then CR would have to beat us by 4 goals at Home to make up the GD (we're currently +5 and they're -4).

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Does the spectre of needing a draw at home against the Ticos really scare you that much, particularly at this point? Granted, nothing is ever assured until it's assured, but looking at this Hex at the beginning, particularly after 3 or 4 matchdays it was pretty clear that this one was going to come down to the last match day barring a string of excellent results.

3. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Not so sure the local hosts couldn't pull a SA on the visitors (per Egypt), keep them up late (wink wink, nod nod, [rolling eyes]), AND take their cash, ...

4. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the implication in the first paragraph.

5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My logic is far superior to yours.

Not a chance? Really? The team that you dismissed as "not a threat to qualify" when you started this crap has a lot of momentum right now.

They're on 8 points right now. They steal a point at Azteca and beat Honduras at home, and they're on 12. That could be enough to finish fourth if Costa Rica's implosion continues.

6. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Just thought I'd throw some realism to the people who want to vote Frankie Hejduk President for Life (not that I'd be entirely opposed to such an idea. . . ).

7. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Given that we have trailed 1-0 in each of our last two home matches, yes, a last-game scenario where we need *any* result makes me nervous. I think there are overwhelming odds that we win or draw that game, but it ain't 100%.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough guy? Well, when I'm wrong I'm man enough to admit it. If that makes me a "tough guy" so be it.

You've been wrong from the original post. You're still wrong. You're just too damned stubborn to admit it.

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not accusing you of stonewalling. I'm accusing you of having a distinct inabilty to say "whoops, sorry, I was wrong."

10. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    We are NOT going to wreck a 4-star thread!

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean those games where we came back and won by the time the final whistle blew? Yeah, those really sucked. I wish I hadn't wasted my money to attend both of them.

:D

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Fair enough. I won't consider this one assured until it's assured either, particularly given a pretty poor pair of showings (but, still six points, even if against the minnows). But honestly, we're in very good shape. Had we taken all 3 points in El Salvador, we'd still be needing a draw out of the CR match if we don't manage to take a point off of Honduras anyhow.

EDIT: Scratch that, the 3 points would've all but mathematically seen us through at this point because CR's so far behind on GD that they'd need to beat us AND T&T pretty heavily, and we'd have to lose to Honduras pretty heavily to fall to 4th. Which still isn't that different a scenario.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we could get a whole bunch of people in here to rate it 1-star. :D

14. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Honest question: What are the odds that both ES gets at least a point at Azteca in a game that Mexico is win-and-in to the World Cup AND Costa Rica loses at home to T&T?

Being generous (at least in my opinion), ES has a 25% chance to get a point from Azteca and T&T has maybe a 10% chance of winning at Costa Rica.

In other words, there's a 97.5% chance this is over for ES before MD10.

Then, even if they survive that, they likely need to beat HON at home (very generous ... 50%?) and have CRC lose at the US (60%?), which combined happens 30% of the time.

So ES catches CRC roughly 0.75% of the time, or 1 in about 133. I mean, anything's possible, but this seems crazy to think it could. Then again, the double 3-0 at the Confed Cup was 700-1 according to a bookie...

15. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Glorious evening - bout as good as it could've gone for our beloved USMNT. Gonna retire and bask in it.

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. A loss @ HON doesn't hurt us at all - all we have to do is draw at home against CRC, and we clinch. Period. Any result @ HON just hastens it. But we control our own destiny no matter what happens @ HON. No pressure to get a result there at all.

BTW, even if we lose, if CRC draws to T&T, they have to beat us by NINE GOALS (less how ever many goals we lose to HON by) on matchday 10 to catch us on the tiebreaker. We could lose on matchday 9 and still virtually lock up a spot in SA.

So yeah - the pressure is off next week. Time to see if BB will get aggressive in chasing a win.

But THERE IS NO PRESSURE ON MATCHDAY 9. Ten? Yeah, a little, but you need to be able to hold serve at home if you expect to reach the World Cup without some help. Lucky for CRC, the US and HON play each other on matchday 9, ensuring at least one of them will be within striking distance on matchday 10 provided CRC beats T&T.

Short of actually having already qualified, matchday 9 is the lowest pressure situation I could imagine in World Cup Qualifying.

17. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lemme save you guys the headaches and calculations... Mexico will finish in first, after all the turmoil and horrible play early on.

18. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Dude, I have already admitted that ES is much better than expected. I don't believe in results-oriented analysis, though. Using MEX's and CRC's losses to create a theory that I'm an idiot for my initial thoughts is crazy. The Hex has had the 4-and-2 split that was expected. The games at ES just worked out differently than expected, which is fine. Any "prediction" has a certain chance of being "wrong," but it doesn't necessarily invalidate the analysis.

I don't recall seeing one reply at the time that said that point at ES was great "because MEX and CRC will lose there later in the Hex." People were floating BS theories of "one point on the road is great!" when typically it's not when it comes at one of the two worst sides in the Hex. This time, it ended up being the best result so far. Who knew?

Now let's stop derailing the thread.

19. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    It was beyond horrible early on, but kudos on finding your feet. Truly didn't think you'd be able to pull it off.

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by what I've read in your posts, you might want to reconsider quitting your day job and pursuing a career in sports betting.

21. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody is bad at math. If they beat us by 5, they gain 5 and we lose 5. That's a 10 goal swing. We lose out. Actually, they'd need to beat us by 5 - (the number we lose to against HON plus one and divided by two).

That said, it is certainly a low pressure situation. Low risk and high reward. My kind of match.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's impossible to derail a thread that was never on track in the first place.

But keep trying.

And that refusal to say "I was wrong" is just so damned cute. :D

23. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    My head was actually hurting trying to determine whether a MEX-HON draw, given our win, was actually a better result, but overall an excellent night for sure.

Incredibly weirdly, HON could be all but qualified with a win over us in MD9, given they would hold GD advantage on us and CRC. CRC losing instead of drawing didn't help us *all* that much, but it was a HUGE result for HON. Now a US-CRC draw wouldn't eliminate them with a loss at ES if they beat us. All they'd need to do is not get blown out at ES while we lose a close one and catch them on GD.

24. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Yeah, it's the difference between a simpleton and someone who understands quant analysis. Oh well...

25. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, this was probably the best result, just because MEX's getting 6 points out of their last 2 games regardless (ES and TT). They'll finish on 21 points now, but a draw would have made it 20 and a loss would have made it 18, which would have put them top 3 anyway.

A draw for HON would have them only 2 points behind us, meaning that if we got a draw down there it wouldn't have helped us keep any significant distance. Right now if we draw @ HON, we keep a 3 point lead with HON going to ES on the last day.