The Rapture - "Echoes"

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Footix, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    After kicking around for a while, "Echoes" is finally out here, and on a major label to boot.

The commercial disc is a bit different than the DFA promos that were sent out earlier, so if you've got one of those or downloaded the earlier versions, you are now a "Rapture rarities collector".

If you've not heard them, these guys are total new wave/post-punk thieves, and I mean that in a good way, since their taste in theft victims is pretty good. The album is full of stolen nods to The Cure, Gang Of Four, ESG, PIL, and even Visage.

If you walked into a club in NYC this summer, you heard their "House Of Jealous Lovers" at least twice before you left, and if you didn't dance to it while you were there, you are a stiff. I really hope (but doubt) that these guys are part of a scene to revive club-rock, because God knows the dance and rock scenes both blow chunks right now.

This disc shipped to the chains at a crazy low wholesale price, so expect to see it at the Best Buy's and Circuit City's in the "Nice Price" range. The disc is well worth your 7 or 8 bucks if you are an intrepid listener.

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Damnit, couldn't you have put this in my "I hope it gets continued" DFA thread?? :)

If I weren't so high on cocaine and red wine right now, I'd post a big review of it and what it means to me, but alas, I can barely press the right keys right now, so I'll get back to you all.

3. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    When you are done over at Clint Mathis' house tonite, let me know if you want me to merge the threads.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I always thought Rednecks and Red Wine were mutually exclusive?

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I've had one of the burned copies for about three or four months, and my office is expected to receive the digital feed of the audio of the official version any day now (I work for the former Listen.com, now RealNetworks...maker of Rhapsody). I'll compare, take notes, and report back in the next few days. I'm really interested in hearing the differences, if any.

6. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    It's on Universal, I can't believe you don't have a box of 25 there already.

I'm told the difference is really just a couple of blips & bleeps, and a couple of the tracks (including HOJL) are sequenced into each other...nothing outrageously different unless you are a DFA trainspotter, which there are apparently more than a few.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense.

[​IMG]

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    You'd think, wouldn't you?? But digital delivery is all the rage...

9. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    If you have an industry password and can't wait, I'm pretty sure it's available at the UMG press site on demand.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goals in life:

Get industry password.

Buy Authorized Vehicle.

11. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I know, that shoulda been a PM...and if I delete it your post stays and I look more ass-ish.

For the record, my password is "Jamison is a teen-bikini posting perv".

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm the one looking ass-ish for threadjacking. I've never even heard of The Rapture!

Like I was saying...

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Been there, done that. But not enough to hear any distinct differences...

14. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

Okay, now I remember. GreatInca was telling me that Mathis has that on tap in his basement.

(btw, that wine is from California, where under orders of the new ReichGovenorGeneralschaft all rednecks have been deported to Arizona.)

Footix, I'm okay with that. You are my password for the members only section of the Friends of Handi Stitch web site so that I can access special designs to use on my curtains without having to unhang them. Fair is fair.

15. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Listen the vocals on the track "Echoes" and then check out "Careering" by PIL off of "Second Edition".

16. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    It's like a sample, right? Yeah, they are not shy when it comes to pilferage. I read somewhere recently (maybe this month's Blender?) that Robert Smith plays this disc in his car. Kinda like travelling with a mirror, I guess.

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Man, it's a straight lift. I have a friend at my office who swears they ripped off the music from something, as well. He's hard at work trying to find it.