The Random Thoughts About Anything, except VAR, Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Yeah, I understand, man - I'm always mixing up my * hydroxychloroquine * with my hydroxyquinoline .... its ********ing brutal when you are using it for a hair-dye base and your initial intent to look like Siouxsie and the Banshees ends up leaving you looking like Donald Trump.....

imasyko repped this.
  2. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hubba - brilliant, thanks.

3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's this kind of post that makes for contentious relationships between people who might otherwise get along perfectly well.

the characterization of well-intentioned voters as "illiterate cretins" is mean-spirited and counter-productive.

i voted for Trump ONLY because i could not conscience voting for Clinton, whom I consider to be a horrible person, based mainly on how she treated the women that Billy was plugging behind her back ( or maybe in full view ). she directed her animus at people who were NOT the real problem. that's indefensible.

Trump is an incurable optimist. he needs to be reined in, and the trouble with that is that he's also faaaar too self-assured to listen to corrective counsel most of the time.

the notion that immunologists will drop projects to find a comprehensive treatment for covid-19 because the President thinks hydro-c will work is unsubstantiated. if one knew that money for pursuing alternative treatments would dry up, that's another matter, but we don't know that.

finally, it's a little disingenuous to suggest that there are at this time better alternative treatments until such treatments have been through clinical trials.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    bUt ImAgInE iF hIlaRy WaS pReSiDeNt...

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    my bad. missed it.

stilts, you need to read this to understand why Trump suddenly started flapping his gums about hydroxy-q.
    summary is:
    - a totally BS "study" in France that followed none of the standard medical protocols (not double-blinded, not randomized, not controlled)
    - picked up by a bunch of Silicon Valley nerds who believed it was valid - incl Elon Musk, None of them are medics!
    - a US lawyer went on Fox to claim (absurdly) that h-q was 100% effective, with zero - ZERO - proof
    - Tucker C interviewed him
    - next day, Trump starts with the BS
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/hydroxychloroquine-trump-coronavirus-drug

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With all due respect, you don't have a lot of experience with women do you? Most of them do this. Plus you have no idea what she did to Bill in private. None of us do. The fact that this is the bridge too far but the sexual assault (admitted to on recorded tape) and the insane amount of lying is all perfectly fine tells us all we need to know. (Please don't follow this up with all the Clinton Foundation bullshit, I don't care. I've heard it all. Most politicians are slimy. I get it.)

You're a special breed, Stilts. To each their own, I guess.

delaynomo repped this.
  7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Another excellent piece from the Guardian, Sam.

zaqualung and SamScouse repped this.
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well said burning. it never ceases to amaze me that Trump's followers are stone-cold convinced that that the vast majority of the population of the planet collude constantly simply to make him look bad. we are all lying nonstop and making stuff up about him, whereas he's just a tad unpleasant, "too optimistic" and "doesn't listen well". words fail me ....

zaqualung and delaynomo repped this.
  9. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    women who support their philandering HUSBAND and attack the women who have been used by him lack basic character. the idea that women in general do this is insulting to women in general because saying that demeans their character.

you have no idea how much experience i have with women. it's a lot, much of which i am displeased by my callous behavior. when i was younger by a couple of score years, i was very selfish which is part and parcel of how it is that i came to Christ in 1977.

the main issue here, for me, as far as treatments for the virus are concerned is this: if someone is critically ill, i would want them to be able to pursue any potential remedy, even if it had not been scrupulously tested clinically, as long as there was ANY anecdotal evidence of success.

tell me truthfully -- if your 75 year old grandparent was comatose from covid-19, would you authorize the prescription of hydroxycloroquine in the absence of any other treatment that had been proved effective?

and lastly, i would have voted for virtually any other opponent to Clinton. i'm not uniformly happy with Trump, but i think i understand his failings and hope that he will take counsel from medical professionals who can steer him on a better course. constantly attacking him detracts from the overall mission because he responds in a manner that doesn't drive the dialog in a productive direction.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    let's hope this works out

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...-wildlife-who-bats-dogs-turtles-a9450081.html
    The World Health Organisation (WHO) is coming under some of the greatest pressure it has experienced in its 72-year history – to force the closure of live animal markets to prevent future pandemics.

More than 200 conservation groups across the world have signed an open letter calling on the organisation to do all it can to prevent new diseases emerging from wildlife trade and spreading into global pandemics.

Scientists say the evidence points to Covid-19 originating from animals – most likely bats – in “wet” markets where live and dead creatures, from dogs and hares to turtles, are sold as food and slaughtered on demand.

zaqualung and bayred repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    stilts ffs man ...

ever heard of the Hippocratic oath?

ever heard of medical malpractice lawsuits?

ever heard of a scientific approach to problem solving?

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hillary Clinton's attitude to women vs Trump's. yet another low in the False Equivalency sweepstakes.

delaynomo repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    laughable. truly laughable. you'd be better off not posting gibberish like this. you sound more like a gullible IQ-challenged idiot each time you do.

BTW you "understand his failings" - how come? on what basis are they understandable? and you condemn HRC constantly for weaknesses you perceive in her past. how Christian of you - no possible forgiveness or forbearance redemption for her?

14. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    A great move and badly needed. These animal to human transmissions are horrible. I believe AIDS started that way.

15. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fine.

But I think you will find the problem we all have is that Trump is actively promoting these drugs. He's not a doctor or scientist and the research on these drugs is inconclusive at best. It has however also been promoted by some Fox News hosts.

And, contrary to Trump's "what have you got to lose" rationale, there ARE potential downsides to people taking these drugs (as discussed elsewhere).

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-d...alaria-drug-that-trump-promoted-treat-1496444

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Would anyone go to a dermatologist next time you want to buy/sell a house?

So why listen to a TV personality/real estate business man for medical advice?

Take the recommendation of your health professional.

asitis repped this.
  17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's really staggering to me that places like China have been doing "wet markets" (such a gross term) for (probably) centuries without more diseases getting created or transferred to humans.

18. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    #843 asitis, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Just a few thoughts . . .
    In retrospect, I can understand why people voted for Trump. I live in a very conservative area of Virginia, just outside of Charlottesville (God bless Charlottesville). I have a number of friends and acquaintances who I consider thoughtful and caring people who voted for Trump. I, like many, was disappointed with President Obama. His promise of hope was never fulfilled and his accomplishments diminished by his caution. Ms. Clinton seemed to offer much of the same. Personally, I was disappointed by his failure to pursue a single-payer health care system and his continued involvement in seemingly endless wars. I went a different way and supported Sen. Sanders (and still do). Trump seemed to offer everything to everybody: no more wars, the "best" health care, peace and prosperity. Yes, it was too good to be true. But people want to hear what they want to hear, even very smart people. Ms. Clinton was not a very attractive candidate. She'd been scarred by years of political battles and a mostly successful campaign by the Republicans to smear her, although she did a good job of that herself. Her support of her husband's philandering, for some, seemed to balance out Trump's gross sexual misconduct. In the end I voted for Ms. Clinton, but I seriously considered writing in Bernie.

As I said, I can understand why people voted for Trump. What I can't understand is why people continue to support him. The lies, the self obsession, the reneging on his promises, it's beyond my comprehension. But to bring my comments back to the coronavirus, The Washington Post reports that Trump was warned about the virus 70 days before he acted. They also showed a compilation video of 33 times he downplayed the danger. Yes, that's 33; I didn't hit the 3 button twice by mistake. People have died and people are going to die because of his incompetence. This I cannot forgive.

asitis

zaqualung, StiltonFC, imasyko and 4 others repped this.
  19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This

And this.

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    in Canada ppl are getting fined for not respecting the social-distance rules when out in public. Surely the UK can fine these idiots!

speker repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well said, asitis.

stilts keeps telling us he voted fro Trump coz of his distaste fro HRC, but fails to explain why he tolerates Trump's constant lying, self-serving policies, BS and incompetence.

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One day of Trump's lying and incompetence ..
    • "We're seeing light at the end of the tunnel," the President said, on a day when a record number of Americans succumbed to the wicked respiratory disease.
    • Trump sparked concern that he will prevent oversight of the disbursement of economic rescue funds by removing a watchdog official responsible for overseeing the $2 trillion package.
    • Trump's acting Navy secretary quit after an episode in which he called an aircraft carrier captain dismissed for raising the alarm about virus infections among his crew "stupid."
    • Trump insisted he hadn't seen January memos by a top White House official warning about the pandemic at the same time the President was dismissing it as a threat.
    • He announced he was placing a "very powerful hold" on funding for the World Health Organization, even though it correctly identified the scale of the virus and he didn't. Then moments later, he insisted he said no such thing.
    • White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham was moved out, without ever having given a briefing, on yet another day of staff turmoil. CNN's KFile reported Tuesday that her replacement, Kayleigh McEnany, recently said that thanks to the President, "we will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here.
    • Trump's top economic adviser Larry Kudlow admitted that a small business rescue program was off to "a bad start" after recipients struggled to register funds, only for the President to celebrate the program's roaring success -- and to credit his daughter Ivanka with personally creating 15 million jobs

23. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://thehill.com/policy/national...gence-warned-in-november-that-virus-spreading

So the US government knew about COVID19 in November. And knew it was bad. Not surprising as you would expect US intelligence services to know these things. But Trump says "China covered it up and weren't truthful". So what. He had plenty of notice. Any inaction is still his fault.

Even worse, he says "Who could have forseen this?". It was in the Presendets Daily Briefing in early January for gods sake!!! YOU should have forseen it dipshit. Instead, with this knowledge, you were busy sitting on your arse, telling people it was all under control and that they should be buying stocks ..........

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...hs-inspector-general-tests-hospitals-ppe.html

Now that the horse has bolted, we have hospitals bidding against states bidding against the federal government for equipment and supplies. What sort of half arsed federal leadership is this? When questioned about it, the giant orange baby calls reporters "mean". :oops:

Incompetent, dishonest and unfit for purpose.

24. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? Imagine how many Chinese there would be if there weren't these diseases? :)

25. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rep this, but it only makes me shake my head.