The Random Thoughts About Anything, except VAR, Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Hendrix was an absolutely unique guitarist, took blues to a brand new place. Look what he spawned- give a look at Stevie Ray Vaughan’s cover of Voodoo Child on ACL. Wow

StiltonFC repped this.
  2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Little Wing is the other one I like, yes, I forgot that. I quite like most of the tracks on the 2nd album, but again, his voice generally lets down 90% of the songs. But it's a balancing act where the music rises them up.... I don't not like Jimi Hendrix, I just don't play him often.
    Hard to explain, really. As a lover of great hard rock music I should like him more, but I never really got the fever over Hendrix ...

3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a small club on PCH in Long Beach CA in a hotel called Golden Sails. Ages ago, a pal of mine found out that Buddy Guy would be playing a couple of sets on a Friday or Saturday night. He, his wife and I went and at the end of the first set, Guy said, "If you stick around, this is what you're gonna hear," and he played a few bars of the intros to "Purple Haze" and something by Led Zeppelin, I can't specifically recall, maybe "You Shook Me".

bayred repped this.
  4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You Shook Me isn't by Led Zep, it's one of their blues covers .....
    (see below)

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I agree with all of it. Perhaps it's the fact that I never got the purest "blues" bug either. (with a few exceptions (below is one), the closer a hard rock track gets to pure repetitive blues the less I tend to strongly like it. If a person can grasp instinctively why it is that I will always prefer The Allman Brothers doing "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" to "You Don't Love Me" they will understand what my sensibility is driven more by. It's the imbuing of the format with something extra (other than mere musicianship) that I love most. There's something more going on than just blues in th ecomposition and exposition of In Memory ...
    Likewise, take Alvin Lee's Ten Years After in the songs (which I lovbe) "50,000 miles beneath my Brain" and "I'd Love to Change the World" compared to that (to most people classic from Woodstock. I can't even recall the name of that one because I don;t play it more that once a decade - make that a dozen - years. Much prefer the other tracks.There are exceptions to this feel for it, of course, such as the BluesBreakers album with Eric Clapton. The Stones playing even standard blues are still imbued of the uniqueness of The Stones, and that uniquenes makes them for me the best of the hard rock blues bands when they hit their pinnacle such as Exile on Main St. Well, Mick Taylor and Rosy Gallagher ... And, as you mention, Stevie Ray Vaughn...... although it is probably worth noting that I rather prefer the sound and attack of Stevie Ray Vaughn on David Bowie's Let's Dance album than on his actual stuff...... because essentially, the hybridity of that music generally appeals to me more than any purist style of a thing..
    Hope that explains what I meant personally about Hendrix. I do like Hendrix a lot. Just never was a heavy listener. played Axis: Bold as - a lot when I first bought it, but that wasn't until my mid-late-20's frankly .....

To give a couple examples of what I mean by this stronger liking....

Led Zeppelin 1 - one of my favourite albums. My two least favourite tracks "I Can't Quit You Baby" and "You Shook Me" ... both the closest to just a rendition of The Blues, although they are, being Zeppelin, something more, but still, there's a limite otherness involved. You can't say that about "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" or "You're Time Is Gonna Come"

Jethro Tull's fist three albums are definitely all heavily blues influenced, but the 2nd and 3rd ones are albums I love, whilst the firrt Tull album I never play (a track or two once in a blue moon) because that is just very much the same as everyone else, really, to me ...., whereas on "Stand UP" and "Benefit" the extra outside inspiration was added to the mix, and Presto!! Voila!! Brilliance!!...

something along those lines strikes my music chord ....

bayred repped this.
  6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was only 8 .... they don;t allow you in a bar for another three years in Ireland ...
    ;)

7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    zaqualung and usscouse repped this.
  8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I caught it on a Barge on the Rhine in Holland.

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Same way I once caught Gonnorrhea... ;)

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #585 zaqualung, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020

You don';t really think that that Dutch team were not better than the German team?
    It's like thinking Chelsea are better than Liverpool right now because they beat us in a knock-out game.
    Liverpool before March madness beats Chelsea 6 times out of 7. That Dutch team prob beats the Germans then 4 out of 5..............

11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know that there was no such thing as a home advantage. If it all there was a home disadvantage. To throw 1974 and 1978 into the same pot shows that you dont know what happened in neither the German teams nor Dutch one.
    Im not sure what you are referring to. Brehme scored. Are you referring to some friendly or other game? The Rubenbauer/Rummenigge commentary is legendary.

See my answer above

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    in my opinion, and I can only go back to 1970, as before that I don;t know enough to speculate. I think home advantage may have helped England in 66 (that and Pele's injury), but I don;t know...

as to the rest.

Brazil-1970 - the best team won.
    Germany 1974 - the best team did not win.
    Argentina 78 - the best team did no twin, although by the end of the tournament they were playing well enough to merit the win. so, no complaint.
    Italy 82 - the best team definitely did not win. France and Brazil were much better teams.
    argentina 86 - no complaint. prob the best team won, but it's hard to say. France and Denmark and Brazil were all great sides.
    Germany 1990 - There's a case to be made that Italy were the 2nd best team here. I cannot fathom how they lost to Argentina's spoiling in that semi. Germany might still have beaten them, and so, again, no complaints. Except that the Dutch were again the best team, but indisicpline cost them, just as four years later, argentina were prob the best team (group stage) until silly stuff wrecked them - taking cocaine should not be a drug test for performance enhancement. If FiFa want to conduct a social studioes class then fine, make a big deal, but that was ridiculous - Maradona and Ca********** gone .... ffs .... Would any team (except (holland or Italy - or england or france if they had qualified) have beaten the argies that year without anyoine suspended? Doubtful. Brazil certainly wouldn't.
    Brazil 94 --- complaints compalints, and more complaints. There were at least a half dozen better teams in the world at that point. Absent Romario ( a truly gifted soccer player) and that team would be in oblivion. there were a couple of others )Branco and Leonardo and Cafu of course were great players) but really, World Champions??? Nah - England with a fit Gascgoing, Barnes, Platt and Shearer, Ince and Mcmanaman (pro would have been selscted) would have beaten them.... but Graha m Taylor was a clown. Hollland with Gullit would certainly have beaten them ....
    France 98 - no complaints. with a striker (or Henry more used to the position, their supreme dominance would have been even more compelling and the need for Lillian Thuram to step up in the semi would not have been a need.
    Brazil 2002 - no real complaints, only, I have this sneaking feeling that if the Czechs had made it to the finals that time they wouldn;t have been beaten. Sounds silly, because they were techincally a small country that didn;t make it but in that period they were a very very good team when all were fit. It's one of the sadnesses of football for me that they got suckered into the belgians stymying tactics and that Nedved lost his head and they blew qualification in that play-off, because they would have made that tournament memorable. I think they would have perhaps lost the final or semi to Brazil .... but we were all denied something when they went out the way they did. I think (from recall) what really fvcked them was they went to Malta early on and drew 0-0 with a lot of players either staying home, skuvying off or injured... those dropped points came back to bite them in the end after denmark .. oh well....
    Italy 06 - oh please ..... Sam Allaydyce could have done this with Francesco Totti. Not even one of the 4 best teams ..... France should have finished the game off in the first 45 minutes. nuff said ....
    Spain 2010 - well, who can argue with that...
    Germany 2014, ditto --- although after all the briulliance Germany looked a little unsharp in the Final, and I think that had the coach had the 7yr old's sense to play Aguero instead of that unbelievable overrated twerp Higuain it might actually have gone Messi's way ...
    2018. Belgium slightly edge France as the best team but lose theactual battle ...

2022 - prediction - in the hot sands of Qatar, Iceland edge out Norway in the final .....

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Great player, btw. Andreas Brehme... fantastic

14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Somehow - I mucked up my post ...

the bit about england and holland was all meant to be about '94....... not '90 where I joined it into .... grr

. ffs .... Would any team (except (holland or Italy - or england or france if they had qualified) have beaten the argies that year without anyoine suspended? Doubtful. Brazil certainly wouldn't.
    Brazil 94 ---

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Anyway - just in case you never heard this also .... from David Gilmour's first solo album .... a truly great classic rock track ....

one of my all time favourites .... sheer brilliance .. sure you've heard it befroe but just in case ....

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that's a good one - because it sounds so much like classic floyd

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    TMI.

burning247 repped this.
  18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the last several pages should be in "random thoughts," no?

newterp repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's ********ing martial law in here. no social distancing of threads and posts.

usscouse and Wingtips1 repped this.
  20. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and I are on the same page here - I'm listening to 50000 miles... right now, as I don't think I've ever heard it.
    I've had disagreements with my buddy who is a diehard Tull fan but loves the later stuff more - when I say Benefit's my fav, he looks at me like I'm from Mars. :)

Same with Zep 1, though you must like Nobody's Fault But Mine as much as I do?

I disagree on Woodstock - Lee's Goin' Home along with Santana's Soul Sacrifice are the two best tracks on the movie.

You mentioned 'Exile' and I had to go listen to Stop breaking Down and Rip this Joint. But Beggar's Banquet has always been my favorite of theirs, with the bluesy Parachute Woman and Salt of the Earth, as well as Sympathy and Street Fightin Man.

Little boring at work today, as you may well have guessed. :)

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from a purely academic POV, you're right, but mebbe one out of 10 people in the audience would have been more familiar -- at the time -- with the Willie Dixon/Muddy Waters original version. What Buddy Guy was doing was playing a riff that the overwhelmingly white folk at the club would recognize.

22. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We each have our own favorites...

The Dutch guy just goes crazy. :)

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #598 White/Blue_since1860, Mar 25, 2020
    The excitement lessens with every time you've won it. ;)

In this football-less time... this might be something for you guys

imasyko repped this.
  24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #599 burning247, Mar 25, 2020
    I'm 35 this year so my WC memories are limited to 1994 on. I was fortunate enough to go to 2 games in Dallas (still mad I never got to see Brazil-Netherlands in my own backyard :mad:).

1994 - I don't think anyone can argue that Brazil was the best that year.
    1998 - France was the rightful winner and the top 4 was all accurate.
    2002 - This is my first memory of the wrong team winning (and getting 2nd). I'm extremely biased and bitter (f ucking England/Seamen/Sven) but Brazil just did not pass the eye test of best team that year. That being said, a lot of the traditional heavy hitters looked weak that tournament. Let's look at the final 4, shall we? Brazil - ok fine; Germany - horribly lucky (as usual) and should've been eliminated by the USA if we're being real; Turkey - seriously?; South Korea - yeah, they were hosts but they gave Spain the royal screw job. The refereeing in this tournament was abysmal. Under the circumstances, I can accept a Brazil team with a lot of legends (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, etc) winning it all. Would've been sick for years had Germany somehow pulled that off.
    2006 - Italy punched above their weight and were probably lucky in the end. They somehow always have Germany's number, even in their own backyard. France lost their head (no pun intended). That era of Portugal (2002-2010) solidified them as villains in my brain, maybe for life.
    2010 - Spain were legendary and finally had their potential pay off.
    2014 - I'll hold my nose and concede that Germany were...deserved...winners :sick:. Netherlands (yet again) lost to a lesser team. Argentina (despite their firepower) played like they did in 1990. Actually, this tournament reminded me a lot of 1990 World Cup (at least after the group stage).

From what I've seen on video...

1950 - Uruguay pulled off a miracle, Brazil were the best.
    1954 - West Germany pulled off a miracle, Hungary were the best.
    1958 - Brazil rightful winners.
    1962 - Brazil rightful winners.
    1966 - Taking off my England glasses, very debatable but with Brazil taking a dump early and Portugal falling to the hosts, I think West Germany & England were the best 2.
    1970 - No debate, obviously. One could actually make an argument that England in 1970 were better than 1966 but Banks getting food poisoning sealed their fate.
    1974 - Netherlands were the best team and were stupid not to finish off West Germany when they had the chance.
    1978 - Netherlands were the best team and were unlucky to lose to the hosts in very tough circumstances.
    1982 - Brazil were the best team and Italy pulled off a miracle beating them. France were also better than West Germany but didn't put the game to bed.
    1986 - Obviously bitter that a cheat won the World Cup but overall, they were deserved winners and the cheat was at least a brilliant cheat.
    1990 - Would've been sick if the cheat and his band of over-performing jackasses won so I'll once again concede that West Germany were deserved winners :sick:. Italy vs England should've been the final but whatever :D.

25. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only people who disagree with you are Germans and Argies. and maybe Laplanders, but there aren't enough of them to matter...