The race for fourth place

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by miko, Feb 20, 2004.

1. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Ok, all you Newcastle and Liverpool fans. Lets be honest. None of the teams outside the top three are going to get close to Arsenal, Manchester Utd or Chelsea this season.

So how long is this domination going to go on for? Liverpool have been disappointing, and to make a challenge on the top three next season they're going to have to improve a lot. Newcastle have been good at times, but are far too inconsistent. And I can't really see Charlton, Fulham or Southampton challenging.

I'l go for Liverpool to get fourth, but it'll be damn close. Next season though, will it be a different story or will it be the same three teams challenging for the title once again.

I'm guessing one of the three teams will probably win again next season, but if Liverpool and Newcastle make some good transfers, and improve their weaknesses, it may be a closer race.

2. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Thanks for your patronizing, if brutally obvious, analysis.

The difference being that neither Toon nor Liverpool's fortunes are tied to one person's purse strings. If your Russian owner were to die in a fire, so would your title hopes.

3. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    i hope NUFC claim 4th....still, as long as it's not the red *#*#*#*#*#e eh?

TOON ARMY!

4. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    :D

5. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il

Keep dreaming. He's not going away and neither are we.

6. rawdog

rawdog New Member

Feb 14, 2004
    NYC
    I think that Liverpool and Newcastle need to spend muuch more than they do if they are ever going to be competitive with the likes of Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea. It does not make sense that they are competing for fourth place to get in the Champions League and they are not able to beat any of the top clubs in Europe, particularly at home. These clubs are doing every thing on the cheap, with their purchasing of these second rate stars, that's why they are getting second rate results.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Highly probable.

However, if he doesn't die in a fire - highly improbable - then what :)

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Actually Liverpool have spent vast amounts of money in the past 5 years - almost £100 Million i believe - and would be in the top three spenders if Abramovichs spree wasn't counted.

Their problem isn't that they haven't spent - it's that the players they bought haven't performed in any way shape or form.

As for the toon, they have spent as well.
    £5 million for a young teenager is a bold move.
    Their biggest problem though is the strength of the teams above them - and slow starts.

9. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Newcastle in 4th place this season and next, but I think next season they and Liverpool will still be miles behind Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea.

10. rawdog

rawdog New Member

Feb 14, 2004
    NYC

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't believe this rubbish is coming from an Arsenal fan. It's not all about spending money, it's about building a team. Look at Arsene Wenger you moron. He doesn't spend £20m a year, but we've got a top team. And I thought Ranieri did a top job getting Chelsea into fourth last season with bugger all cash.

12. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    i partially agree...liverpool have bought second rate stars

but they most certainly haven't done it on the cheap.

Heskey for £11m?
    Diouf for £10m?
    Diao for £4.7m?
    to name but a few...

here's to them wasting another £13m on Cisse!

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your lot were on the brink of administration before Roman stepped in. When the KGB nick him Chelsea will do a West Ham.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    That is quite true mate, and if you have read any posts of mine on the Chels board for the past few years i was always one of his biggest opponents with the way he ran the whole CV thing as opposed to good financial management.

There is no question whatsoever that we lucked out, although a Leeds style melt down would not have happened as we had other real assets than players to realise to stave of the money men.

Also the ground and pitch were held by other PLC's and would have ran in their own right - what would have happened though is that the whole white elephant that was Chelsea Village would have been sold of piece meal, Gallas would be playing in Spain and Terry would be wearing the red of your neighbours - in 2007 though when the final Eurobond payment was due the ground would have been sold as it was used to finance the buliding of the west stand.
    No, there wasn't a bright future there to be honest and if Sheff Weds do get him they better have quite a few accountants looking at what he actually does.

Besides, he may be in more trouble than is being let on what with his ties to Tollman and the FBI on his case.He's lieing through his teeth and it's only a matter of time before one of the people "cuts a deal".
    The only thing Bates has going for him is that the American authorities are after the weasels in the bank defrauding scheme in the States and he's just getting caught up in the fall out.

But, as i said above, it's a great time to be a Chelsea fan, especially for the ones that suffered through the dross of the late 70s to mid 90's era.

Who knows what will happen in the future.

15. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, true, can't see Chelsea doing a Blackburn either. Putting Kenyon as chief executive was a great move, that's a sign that even if the club is a plaything and a refuge, at least it's going to be a relatively well run one.

Bates is a muppet, it's his fault Wembley is ridiculously overpriced. I was so glad to see his programme notes taken away for him and for him to be shunted off into the background. He doesn't deserve to ride off into the sunset.

16. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Then lets hope he doesn't die in a fire. Whether you like it or not, Chelsea have title hopes (or so they did, maybe not after today's loss), and if its because of Abramovich so be it.

Oh, and your welcome for my analysis.

17. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    I still think Liverpool will get 4th place. Newcastle aren't consistent enough.

18. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I would like somebody apart from Newcastle or Liverpool to come 4th. I would like to see Fulham, but I doubt it.

19. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Real quick, and check me if I'm wrong, but of those 5 clubs, Arsenal and Newcastle have spent the least, and Arsenal will continue to "go cheap" until Ashburton Grove gets done (if it ever does).

Spending money is great, but as someone else pointed out, you have to spend it wisely.

20. rawdog

rawdog New Member

Feb 14, 2004
    NYC
    You are an ass h#le. Arsenal have already built a team that has won championships. All they need to do is tinker and maintain the high standard that they have attained. Has Liverpool won the Epl in recent time ? Has Newcastle? NO DUMB ASS! Not because Arsenal did not spend large sums of $$$ the last two seasons means LP and toons can do that. They must spend more to bridge the gap between the big 3. Even if Lp or Toon come fourth, they will be destroyed by the elite teams in the champions league, you bit*h.

21. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK young fellla clam down. You can call me all the names you want, I don't care. It's as simple as this. You can make a good team on no money. Ranieiri did this last year. You can make a championship challenging team on relatively little money. Wenger has done this all the years he's been at Arsenal. If you can't see it you are blind.

You don't know ******** all about football you arse.

22. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The asterisks blocked out what I actually typed you arse.