The [R] Rule

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jan 31, 2006.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Why do you need to start a separate thread to discuss these things, when it could and *should* go in the match thread that has already been started?

2. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    because there are players on teams

because there are fans of teams

there is no should, there is what you want

we should have the option of creating these things instead of not being able to because it draws the ire of 2-6 people

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

yeah - but I'm still having trouble finding scores in thread titles and ESPN? Isn't that an unmoderated board? I'm not sure we should aspire to that level of discussion.

Have you made a post yet where you aren't in some way denigrating those of us with a different viewpoint than you? Can't you find a more effective way of debating this?

4. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    dk

it doesn't matter

you and buff don't want this and that's all that matters... and the notion that the r should stay is wrong

i'm sorry i didn't post the exact score... i've been all over to moderated boards (scout is one) and up ten, up twenty, tie game, so and so fouls out, duke wins is heavily prevalent... so i'm not really sure how that's different, i can go to stl cardinals sites and give you scores for sure

look man, this is a sport... it's about news and discussion... the r limits it because you are forcing people to not be open and look over the shoulders for the slightest thing... oh no, scores were discussed on a site where they are relevant... let's all chop our heads off

this is insane, NEWS is news... it should be available and posted for everyone's benefit

how in the world did facts come to the point where they are no longer wanted??? this is one hell of a wacky world

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well we're definitely in agree to disagree territory - obviously we are both passionate about our viewpoint. (Buff doesn't care that much about Spoilers one way or the other I don't think.)

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, I doubt if Huss wants people to "just stay away" from his site.

Besides the situation you mention actually happened several times already: Liverpool occasionally wasn't televised, but I wanted to follow Liverpool's match. Usually, the PBP thread would just discuss Liverpool's game, and not the other matches (except via the Highlight to Reveal feature). So I'd follow the Liverpool match, then get home and watch the other one. The R rule came in handy for me there, allowing me to follow Liverpool and watch the other match fresh that night before, during, and after supper.

And while I appreciate that the World Cup is going to pose problems esp. for Mods, I further appreciated their efforts last time, too. Many times during j/k 2002 I would log on during slow spells at work to catch up on MLS news, talk about Fire things, etc., and with the "R" rule, it's easy to know what threads to avoid.

Now, like I say, if things change and spoilers become common, I will "just stay away," but I'd prefer to still come on the boards and discuss other things besides matches in progress that I might watch later.

And I should point out that, on my 10th or 11th post, I gave away a spoiler on my first thread (when Schalke fans thought they'd won the Bundesliga, only to have Bayern get a flukey injury-time goal) which literally spoiled not one but two FSW matches for a few people in the US and, a for a few more in Europe who had taped the game, all in the five minutes before a mod fixed it (might've been Dark Knight, don't remember). I haven't spoiled one since, and it hasn't caused undue strain on my imagination to avoid spoiling matches for others.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I know a good way to not have to worry about the [R] Rule. Ensure that the servers are always broken.

:D

8. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on a college hockey board, and soccer results were actually a point of contention during the last World Cup -- go figure. :p

(We settled on no spoilers in titles as a matter of courtesy; the number of people involved was pretty small, so we were able to manage with it self-enforced.)

9. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I voted to can the [R] Rule.

The Internet tends to be a free-flowing environment, and it strikes me as counterintuitive to have a rule like the [R] Rule in place. I often forget about it myself. And I know newbies often run afoul of it.

The [R] Rule only works if there's a group of consistent posters who are knowledgeable about the rule. That works fine if we have a small, inbred group of BigSoccer posters where everyone knows everyone, and has for years. But if we want an open, expanding BigSoccer community that welcomes newbie posters, then the fewer potentially counterintuitive rules, the better.

One observation. Voter turnout on this issue strikes me as particularly low. Maybe you should promote this little poll more widely on the BigSoccer message boards. If it hadn't been for DarkKnight's reference to this "raging debate" in a USMNT N&A thread, I would not have known to come here to cast my vote.

EDIT -- And I would add two more categories for the voting as well.
    3. I don't care.
    4. What is the [R] Rule?

Last but not least, whatever you decide, I promise to do my damnedest to follow it.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like us to keep the [R] rule.

But if you decide to can it, please consider having "Last Post" removed from the "Boards" page.

That way if someone taped an EPL or USMNT game for later viewing, they'd still be able to navigate to other areas of BigSoccer without having the result spoiled for them.

11. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    if anyone thinks they are getting by this world cup without knowing the results

umm... yeah... good luck with that... i'll be laughing my ass off a good long while on that one...

it will be big, it will be fun, and everyone will be talking about it... and making sure to make fun of you for not wanting a score for a game that's already been played

personally, i feel too many people think fever pitch is how it should be... bizarre, i find it

any diehard wants it now... they live and breath based on how their side does... as soon as the game is over, they must then move on to the next game, the injuries, the competition, what's going on in the standings

to delay the game for the apsect of keeping it unknown is sacrificing the sport... you open yourself up for ridicule and having no clue what professional sport is about... which is winning, it's the only thing that matters

we don't watch soccer for the beauty, no man does... it's a tiresome, grueling, 90 minute game in which two teams with 11 guys each do everything humanly possible to win... you live and breath on the bounce of the ball, not the tivo timeout

missing the game is like being there, you respect that, you acknowledge what the game is about... every damn second counts... you sit back and miss something, it's not there to be played out for you... you gotta catch up

we are going into a world cup that will have unprecedented coverage here in the states... last time around, a group of no-names went out there and made the country wake up at god awful times to witness the history they were making

this time around, the games will be in the day, people will pause from work, take sick days and hopefully be pushed into a bigger frenzy by(if) the us making another run

any us result will be common knowledge... it doesn't take a second to comment on... and if the us does do something, there will be more... as they are going to wonder how we beat/tie italy, how we beat/tie czech... who knows, someone might love to go into a we should never have thought we could hang with italy

and everything about the [r] should be destroyed... people that want it refuse to accept the fact the game is getting bigger, casual fans should come in and be accepted by openly discussing the game

this is a message board site, but it is very much a news site as well... BS has been breaking the news probably since almost it's inception... and it always will, that's how message boards work

living behind the [r] is failing to accept what this place is about... it's by the fans, for the fans, and of the fans

we tell the media what we accept as news, we let the players know how to do it, we let ownership know what we want

we're fans... we know everything and every angle will be and is discussed... including have dancing midgets as halftime shows

12. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to do it plenty of times during WC02 with few problems...but you weren't even on BigSoccer then so of course you wouldn't know that. :rolleyes:

13. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    good grief

did you bother to read this thread?

did you bother to read the one last year (a bit over, iirc) either?

did you notice in this thread that i quoted myself from the last time we did this thread?

14. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    TBP is actually jmeissen0, who joined in March 2001...

15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the more reason for TBP to know that it worked fairly well last time.

16. ~jer~

~jer~ New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    The PopoZao Room
    Jim - That's just, like, your opinion man.

17. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

no it didn't

it's the world cup man... this place is busy as all hell, and with a lot more posters... it'll be even more nuts

stupid people getting upset because a score was mentioned in an article... fricking morons

message boards create the news almost as much as they discuss it... leaks become rivers here and all sites

we cannot limit it for the [r]... the terrorists would win

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You're willfully ignoring my repeated assurance that it worked reasonably fine last time. And you'd think I'd know since I modded that board during the 2002 World Cup.

You're just ranting the same points over and over despite the fact that they've all been refuted time and again. It's just an incessant diatribe.

19. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    your repeated assurance means nothing

cause it's worthless

it didn't work, people complained because the results of games already played were out there... OH NO

i love reading newspapers... you have to use a magnifying glass to read anything that might hint at a score, death, vote, proposed vote, you name it

this r crap is crap and should be flushed down the toilet

when at a bar, you don't hold back on discussing scores... you go right out and bring it up cause that's what you are discussing... a single throught of someone's whatever (goal, homer, single, dunk, pass, shot, etc) is enough to go on a 2 hour debate over why it was great, sucked or whatever

but here?

not allowed, someone forgot to flush

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In 2002, it was either JonnyQuest or Huss who was spoiled of the result by his mail carrier. So, yeah, everyone will be talking about it. A game on Setanta closed-circuit and GOL TV 48 hours later is one thing, but the World Cup on the ESPN networks is entirely a different thing.

Honestly, why can't people just stay off BS from kickoff until they see the game that night?

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's obvious you have no interest in a reasonable discussion. You're just here to rant and rave.

22. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    what is reasonable about the r?

because 6 people might find out the result to a game they should be finding out the result for?

it is worthless

i'm sorry that you haven't the foggiest for why it's worthless, but that's not my problem

my problem is that bs should not be looking out for 6 people that are concerned with a result of a game, but yet choose to go to a site that will be discussing the game in depth... in layman's terms... that's retarded

23. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    The main problem, as Knave put, is that you have an opinion and your arrogance doesn't allow you to listen or understand anothers point of view.

The [R] rule in the European boards is there because games are on in the early morning in the U.S. or midday when people are working. They might want to discuss transfer stuff, other club stuff but still want to watch the game in full without knowing the score. The [R] rule lets them do that. The same in the World Cup. They may not be bothered about watching all the games, but may pick one a day they want to watch without knowing the score. The [R] rule gives them that ability.

24. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    you're talking about people unwilling to except life

that's not my problem and shouldn't be anyone else's

if they decide they need to wait to watch the game, they can wait... it's not my problem and should never be treated as such... it's their quirky unwillingness to accept the fact that the world does not revolve around them

it's incredibly stupid to prevent people from discussing the game

hell, it's more backwoods than the ozarks, appalachians and wyoming all rolled into one

25. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    LOL, do you not get the fact that some people work and therefore CAN'T see the game until later if it's on during the day. Do you not get that in many countries games are on time delay so are only broadcast 6 hours after the actual game is finished. The whole point of the [R] rule is that people can discuss the game and those who want to wait until later know not to go into that thread. My god does everything have to be explained to you in such minute detail so that you can understand it? I feel sorry for your school teacher............:rolleyes: