The Quakes need to pull their heads out...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TheSlipperyOne, Aug 29, 2002.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The way the Quakes have played on the road this year is ridiculous. Absolutely blown out by the Rapids on Saturday. The same Rapids team that lost to the Revs 3-1 last night.

Every away game I've watched this season the Quakes play like crap.

Frank needs to get their asses in gear with the playoffs coming up. At the rate the team is going they won't even finish top of the league.

2. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    Agree with that. The two games I've seen them play all year were the DC and Colorado game. I'm sorry, but that's NOT the Quakes I know...

3. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to confess i fell asleep on the couch during the match last saturday. after a tough week at work, i sometimes nod off during "soccer saturday," if it's teams i'm indifferent toward, but i NEVER fall asleep on the rare occasions i get to see the quakes (or a team i particularly loathe, like the galaxy). a bad harbinger...i remember making up some excuse last year, to get off the phone with my mom, just so i could log in and check the miami game 3 playoff score. had they not pulled out THAT road victory (god bless troy dayak), well.....
    as long as they turn things around in 3 weeks....

4. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I watched most of the game Saturday (I got bored every once and awhile and was looking through a catalogue) but what I saw was sad. The 1st 24 minutes the ball passed throught the box 4 times with no one to pick it up on the other side. Truly pathetic coming from the league's top team. They need tto realize that they won't win if they keep losing like that on the road...

I forgot my whole "appreciation" thing momentarily.

5. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While last Saturday's match was awful, its not only the Quakes that are doing poorly on the road. Aren't home teams winning almost 2/3rds of the time this season in MLS?

As wiser heads have already stated (before and after the Great Crash), without Agoos and Dayak together at the back, Yallop has to either play people out of position (Barrett) or give Robinson a quck baptism. In the long run, getting Robinson this playing time will work out to the Quakes benefit.

Also, if they were scoring a little more on the road, the problems in the back wouldn't be so noticeable. Remember 2000, when their defense wasn't so bad (IIRC even with Dan Calichman and Mike Burns--shudder), but the offense wasn't scoring at all, so if Cannon made one mistake or lost one ball in the sun, like against Tampa, it was over.

However, Slip is right, Yallop needs to find a way through this.

Go Quakes

Tony

6. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    It's too late to fix the problem. The best thing to do is give up on Russell and put DeRo at right mid for the last 4 games so he can adjust. Yallop needs to pick a line-up and stick with it the last 4 games so everyone can sorta get in sync. Even then the Quakes will fight an uphill battle through the playoffs. :(

7. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    maybe the return of Dayak will shore up the back, add to the confeendence, and increase the aggressiveness...

and Dayak has a flair for dramatic goals.....now is the time, Troy

Go Quakes!

8. iansfavouritecopilot

Jun 21, 2002
    Hartlepool, UK
    Hopefully, their game will step up in the play-offs.

It happens. Teams rising to the challenge. Look at Brazil in the WC. They were trousers in qualifying. And Real Madrid won the ChampsLge but managed to have an ordinary domestic record.

Fingers crossed

9. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    you Brits have the best lingo......

:D

10. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    Someone (WONDER who?) seems like he just don't CARE whether or not hey win or lose. Like it doesn't matter to him because he's not planning on sticking around for next season or something...

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After Saturday's performance this thread needs to be stickied to the top of the page.

12. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I hope you aren't referring to Donovan.....if you are, then obviously you didn't see his reaction to his one goal....that didn't look like someone that doesn't care to me.....more like someone that wants to win very badly.

13. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    But my point is that it seems as if A LOT of the players are having problems. As for LD, it seems like he is starting to get more focused.

Future hint: my non-specified subject statements usually can be filled by more than one awnser and still be right.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Way to cover your ass. You'll go far in politics.

15. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you very much. Elaine for President!

16. dutchboy

dutchboy New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    San Jose
    Just boring road games. Go EPL! Kasey Keller, Brad Friedel, Claudia Reyna.

17. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    what the hell are you talking about?

18. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Turret's Syndrome. :(

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+