The QPR Transfer News/Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, Jun 9, 2003.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think the priority will be placed on getting those 6 players signed up for next season. An arrangement will be made with Steve Palmer - maybe a coaching role. That said, there will be some surprise moves this summer, and we can't be sure about Olly's status.

One move that seems likely to be happening is the signing of Watford (and former QPR loanee) Lee Cook - a very good young player. Bad news for Ainsworth, McLeod and Cureton. Somehow I can't really see Kevin McLeod playing with us next season. Shame as he was a good signing and does offer a lot - but the run in was not pretty for him. My optimistic first 11...

--------Gallen----Furlong------
    Cook---Bircham--Johnson---Rowlands
    Padula----Carlisle----Sh1ttu----Edghill
    ---------------Day----------------

This team can DEFINITELY compete in Division 1. Lacks a bit of pace in the back, but if its a worry then Bignot can step in for Edgy. Key is Danny S staying healthy - that is a must. Carlisle's lack of speed really gets exposed when Dan is not nearby.

All in all - very optimistic about the playing staff next season. What happens off the pitch is the question. Will Olly stay? What's the status with Italian agent/investor Paladini? Are the Milwaukee Wave people ready to put some cash in? How about these Jim Smith as manager rumours? Lots to discuss when the celebrations wear off.

2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cook's quotes on the Watford site sound like he's interested in re-signing with them, but what else is he going to tell them? Can we compete with Watford on an offer? Maybe so, nowadays. "Leaving the club is not really on the agenda, but I've got to think about what's best for my career," he says.

It seems he really only broke into being an everyweek starter with them toward the end of the year. His overall league stats are 20 starts, 21 sub appearances, 7 goals. However, he started their last eight games.

He only played in 13 games (1 goal) for Rangers, and unfortunately I didn't make it over for any of them. Given the rave reviews given about his time at Rangers (and how many people have been pining for him), he'll have high expectations to live up to.

He's listed as born in Hammersmith. Is he another life-long Ranger?
    I was a bit surprised that the BBC story said Holloway "is expected to sign a new contract this week." I hope that's true.

3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sun reports that Jim Smith is being lined up to take over from Ian Holloway. The story says that "one of the three consortia bidding to take over the club want to replace him as manager." Smith led QPR from June 1985 to December 1988 with a 67-38-62 record and is currently the No. 2 man at Portsmouth. It further reports that Arsenal defender Martin Keown is wanted as Smith's assistant. However, the story also reprints the David Davies quotes about wanting to re-sign Holloway and notes how a change in managers would be very unpopular ("met with fierce resistance") with players and fans.

4. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, the conspiracy theory behind this one is that Paladini wants Smith in and Olly out. One representative from the club (our friend Bill Power) says its complete "rubbish". We'll see.

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paladini reportedly has 22% at the moment, right? I guess whether he gets to make the call will be determined by whether he really did have some "option to buy 51%" which I thought I'd seen intimated somewhere or whether the club is actually just in negotiations with him, and the other two parties, for an additional investment.

If it's the latter, which seems more likely, then Davies and the current Board (including Paladini's rep) would have to get on with signing a manager, players, etc., while negotiations go on. It would seem that only if Paladini was in a position to take 51% very soon would he get to make the call for the upcoming season.

I say it doesn't seem that likely because I read on the Boardroom Blues site that with the form of the company that QPR Holdings is, a PLC, if anyone wants to buy more than 29.9% of the shares, they "must by law make an offer for all the other shares as well, at the highest price he has paid accumulating his stake in the past 12 months." So, to take more than 30%, you have to be prepared to buy 100%!

While certain guys like Bill Power (around 5%) might agree not to take the offer, would other big holders? I've read that QPR Holdings being in this form has been one of the things making it difficult to get a new owner.

6. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002

Oh dear Lord no.
    Once bitten twice shy. He steered us to our glorious 3-0 whupping at the hands of Oxford in the Milk Cup final.

What sort of addled mind comes up with this as a good idea?

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard Johnson, Richard Edghill, and Steve Palmer are being linked with former QPR assistant Kenny Jackett's Swansea City if they are released by Rangers. Johnson and Palmer played under Jackett both at QPR and Watford. It was reported that Jackett may be interested in Paul Furlong also, but that Furs may be offered a new deal by QPR.

http://www.footymad.net/leagues/loadfnws.asp?id=158983&teamno=431

9. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If County don't sell Grant - then seems likely that Campo will be sent out on loan again next season. The kid MUST get first team appearances - he's fantastic - future England good. We could be a loan option for him again next year, but County might want to avoid a D1 club. Derby certainly are set at keeper with two of the best in the League - shame about the other 10 spots on the pitch.

11. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, he's been brilliant since coming to Loftus Road, although I've only seen him on highlights and heard about his play via online commentary until seeing him in the Wednesday match. How is Camp's distribution, normally? I thought he had a good few kicks go awry last Saturday. Usually a bit better? Or does he still need work in that area?

12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    His kicking has been fine. I noticed a few go astray in the Weds match as well - uncharacteristic. He looks to throw more than most keepers in the League (because they're trained to hoof) - but then ends up kicking. For me, Camp is strong in every category for a potential keeper
    - safe hands
    - communicates well with defenders
    - distribution and kicking, fine
    - capable of great shot stopping

13. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. That was my impression from what I'd seen/read/heard. He had a couple go out of bounds on him last weekend, so that stood out a bit, but he was otherwise quite good and I'm glad to hear that he's normally better in that area.

From what I can tell, Day is a Division One keeper, but obviously with the job Camp did, it'd be excellent if Derby would let us take him on loan again, if not permanently. As you mentioned, though, promotion may have hurt our chances of getting Camp on loan next year.

14. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hammersmith Times is reporting that the R's are working on signing Hammersmith-born Watford midfielder and former QPR-loanee Lee Cook.

The story also notes that Kevin McLeod has been on the outs of late and it "is unclear whether McLeod has a future at Rangers and Cook’s expected arrival won’t improve his chances."

Also, check that link for other stories from the Times, including stories and quotes from the promotion-clinching Wednesday match. Quotes include those from Holloway, Furlong, Ainsworth, Padula, Camp, Gallen, and Rose.

15. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Sports is reporting that Sheffield United might make a move for Clarke Carlisle. Of course, it also says of Clarke that he played "a minor role in Ian Holloway's side clinching promotion to Division One next term," which isn't true -- the guy played in 33 of 46 league matches (32 starts), including every game down the stretch.

16. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More details on the transfer of Arthur Gnohere have come out. While we didn't have to pay a transfer fee at the time, a report indicates that Rangers will have to pay Burnley £75,000 after gaining promotion and another £75,000 if we stay up next year.

17. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marc Bircham has been linked to Sheffield United, but insists he'd like to stay at QPR, saying "I want to stay. Everyone knows that. Hopefully the board can sort it out."

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Wasn't there a rumor linking QPR with Stern John a little while ago?

19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can't recall us ever being linked to Stern John.

20. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me either. Although he was available to leave on a free, according to the official Birmingham City site, they've just signed him to a new one-year deal and he intends to fight for his place.