The QPR Transfer News/Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    31-year-old former West Ham, Charlton, and Ch**sea left back Scott Minto is in training with the R's. I understand we're still after a loan for Tommy Williams, but given that Gino has signed a two-year deal, I expect we'll only end up with one of Minto or Williams. From the story at the link at the bottom, it's hard to tell if we're showcasing Minto or seriously considering him for ourselves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/3081919.stm

Michael Kathopoulis hasn't played in a pre-season game yet due to a minor foot injury. The stories below says he'll go to Italy if he doesn't get a contract offer from the R's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/3087253.stm

http://www.queensparkrangersfc.com/papers2307.htm (more on Minto in this one, too)

2. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Rowlands has finally passed all of his medical testing and has joined the club.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~404642,00.html

That's likely it for pre-season transfers and additions, since the Thorne bid is temporarily (at least) off and the club has no more cash. Last I've read, we've still got a few trialists at the club, but Davies' most recent remarks indicated that Olly won't be able to add to the club until we get an infusion of cash (first-team acquisitions are "ruled out" in the "short term").

Interestingly, however, Davies said (on the full QPRWorld interview, although it didn't end up in the article on the site) that even now we're set to have the largest wage bill in the division. With Wednesday joining the Second, I wonder if that's accurate.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~404600,00.html

4. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as it looks like we won't be adding to the first-team squad, we've got two new trialists in for a few days.

John Bailey is on the books at PNE and is a 19-year-old left winger. Looks like he's a candidate to be one of this year's models replacing all the left-sided loan help we had last year (Williams, McLeod, Cook).

Also in is Christopher Kanu, who plays at either fullback position or in central midfield. He's the 24-year-old brother of Arsenal's Nwankwo Kanu. According to the QPR site, Peterborough United wants to sign him, but he wanted to come on trial to QPR for a few days first.

Both will travel with the team for tomorrow's match against Dagenham & Redbridge.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~405264,00.html
    http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,653050,00.html

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am having a hard time digesting all the player news - many of whom I have not heard of.

What's the word - is this team getting stronger than the one we had last year - about the same or are we slipping a bit?

7. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depth is hurt somewhat, because squad size is down. However, the additions of Ainsworth and Rowlands, from what I've read, give us a better and faster midfield (and good midfield depth). We're strong at the back, but not deep -- bringing Williams back will help there.

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Latest rumours have Spurs interested in Marc Bircham. Not sure how plausable this is though.

http://tottenhamhotspur.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=897&p=2&stid=8317235

Also, things are not sounding good on the Langley/Carlisle front. Clubs are starting to circle and QPR have stated that they are for sale. I have a bad feeling about the latest West Ham and Millwall links. Personally, I think its worth saving the 7 or 8 hundred K we'd get for both in order to go up. But if we do hold on to them and do not get promoted - they'll both be gone for nothing.

13. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so now we don't have cover up front. Tottenham's young Mark Yates got himself injured in a final tuneup game for Spurs last night, getting some stitches in the process. His loan won't go through, as he'll be out for a couple of weeks. Holloway says we may take him on later. He also confirmed that Kanu won't be signing with the R's.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~407974,00.html

I hate that the vultures are circling so early for Langley and Carlisle. I thought we'd at least see how we started, and if we were in an auto-promotion race through the holidays, I thought we'd keep 'em.

Our club really, really needs to go back up and those two are major reasons that many are picking us to do so.

I hadn't heard about the Bircham-to-Spurs rumor. He really seems like he wants to stick around QPR this year, and he could be playing in the First Division if he wanted to, but I guess Premiership clubs don't call that often. Hope that doesn't happen (maybe this Convey-to-Spurs thing will slake their thirst for stealing players from my teams!).

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Latest rumors from supporter sites - Langley in talks with Cardiff.

If that happens - and for a presumably paltry fee - I'll be crushed. And I dont think we'll go up.

15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Rumors are really swirling now. Some saying that the Langley deal is done - Cardiff offering £300,000. Bad, bad news.

No official confirmations

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  17. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing news. Ainsworth, Bircham, and Palmer give us 3/4 of a solid midfield, but Langley brings that extra magic and class that will be hard to replace. Losing Langley would leave us hoping a) Ainsworth can be productive and healthy all year and b) either Rowlands or some loan signee can bring some real menace from the left side of midfield.

It was going to be tough to hold onto Langley and Carlisle this year, but I really thought we'd try to hang onto both through the first half of the season and see from there.

18. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nothings official yet. But its sounding bad

19. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap. It's official. Richard Langley is set to leave QPR for Cardiff City. May's loss to the Bluebirds gets that much harder to take.

"In a move set to temper any disappointment at the 23-year-old's departure, manager Ian Holloway has this morning confirmed that negotiations are underway to bring in two players on a permanent basis to boost the Rangers squad."

OK, well, I can't say that's tempering "any" disappointment I might have, but that's good news. With the market the way it is, we could definitely get some quality on the cheap. The problem is, Cardiff City just got some class for what is, I'm sure, on the relative cheap too.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~411021,00.html

How long until we lose Carlisle? :(

20. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to be upbeat and, in reality, this might not be all bad. We had in Langley a player whose natural position is inside, but whose game (i.e. lack of defense) didn't make him ideal to play there in the Second Division. Bircham's scrappy nature meant Langley was going to play outside. Langers played well on the right last year, but Ainsworth seems an excellent signing to start on that side. While Langley seemed to be adapting well to the left side thus far, I can see that he might not like it, making it possibly even less likely we'd be able to keep him after the season.

It appears now that we're close to permanently signing 22-year-old Kevin McLeod from Everton. He's a true left sided midfielder and played very well for us during out hottest streak of the year last year. Signing him permanently would be a good move.

Here's a link to the official site's confirmation of those talks:
    http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~412047,00.html

It sounds like that one's all but done.

Earlier, they noted that we've asked about five different players for two spots (a left sided player and a centre-forward), and confirmed that Portsmouth's Mark Burchill is one of the five.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~411873,00.html

According to Soccerbase.com, Burchill is a Scottish forward with six international caps (1 start, 5 subs, most recently in 4/00) who has scored 8 times in just 9 starts & 15 sub appearances for Portsmouth in the last two years. Last season, he was loaned out to Dundee for the second half of the year and scored twice in seven starts and four times off the bench. Portsmouth bought him for 900,000 pounds from Celtic, where he scored 20 times in 17 starts and 33 times off the bench (best year was 99/00 when he scored 11 times in just 12 starts & 16 subs) before being loaned out for spells at Birmingham City and Ipswich (a combined 5 goals in limited action). He'll turn 23 in three days. It looks like he hasn't been able to regularly crack the First XI in the upper divisions, but has a good strike rate given his limited time.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So in the end - here is the gist of the Langley situation...

- Club did not sign him and wanted to get something for him before his contract expired.

- Fans not too happy about that, cause its seen as hurting our promotion hopes for this year.

- Sometime before or during the Langley talks with Cardiff, the club begins talks with Everton for McCleod.

- Langley deal in essence becomes a fundraiser for the McLeod transfer with some extra cash possible in the future.

- In McLeod we get a talented young player who's shown to be on the cusp of Premiership. You could say that he's replacement for Langley and fills our left mid position well - but he certainly does not have Langley's intagibles yet. Or knack for important goals.

- The other McLeod positive is that he is young (22) and probably a better investment that Langley - even though they're nearly the same age. Langley had the very bad knee injury and was heading near Bosman age. McLeod will be firmly under contract and if he plays well would be a sellable asset in the future.

All in all a hectic last couple days - but all is not looking as bad as we first thought.

23. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may work out very well in the end, both for Langley and for us, but I'm sad to see him go for all the reasons mentioned above, as well as the fact that he's one of the last (and brightest) links to the (often dreadful) teams I saw when I was living in London and heading up to Loftus Road every other weekend.
    He was the epitome of a diamond on a junkheap then, truly a cut above the rest skillwise from his first matches (I remember when Gerry Francis threw him in there, along with Richard Graham, who also looked pretty active, at least in his first sub appearance - but god knows what happened to him...never mind the sad disappearance of coulda-shoulda-woulda-been headcase Leon Jeanne). It wasn't that long after ('Future England Captain')Nigel Quashie had been sold, and you couldn't be blamed for thinking the then-teenaged Langley could possibly become our next Quashie. If he catches on with the right team (is Cardiff really it?)I still think he's got enough skill to do better than that.

24. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I semi-take that back after seeing Quashie play for the first time in a while today, for Pompey. He was everywhere, and could have been the MOTM.

25. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved Richard Langely, but IMO this was inevitable, sooner or later. QPR isn't the kind of club that can hang on to a guy like Langley at the level his wages were at; I think once it became clear this past summer that Langley's agent was not going to allow his wages to be cut for this season, the die had been cast. Here's hoping Olly makes good with the cash.