The QPR Transfer News/Rumours Thread V: 07/08

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, May 10, 2007.

1. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    My first was a 'Guinness'.

Got quite a few now - though not the most recent offering.
    Also got easily their worst attempt (which ironically comes from their best season in 'recent' years), the awful 'Classic fm' monstrosity. Made of polyester so uncomfortable that it could only have been crafted by some sadistic Chelsea fan - and with the sponsor's logo on so much of that iron on felt stuff that the front of the shirt was almost solid.

Back on the topic of transfers - what a bonkers week!
    So nice to turn on SkySports News and without fail get told of someone else making the trip to West London.

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had one of those...wore it three times and it ended up in a box in the bottom of a closet, then in a barn, now I don't know where it is, I doubt even the moths would bother eating it. Ugly and uncomfortable are not strong enough adjectives.

My first was "Brooks".

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a red & black one of those 'Classic fm' retro jerseys. You got it right -- uncomfortable and with a bad felt logo patch. Ugh.

As for the kiddie, if they want to rebel, it better be for Brentford, not for Chelsea. :D

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Could be close to signing GK Stefan Postma from Den Haag (The Hague)...

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...8/01/04/manual_223449.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1

But the Dutch club are not being very cooperative...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_3029034,00.html

5. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The BBC reports that Shabazz Baidoo has returned to Loftus Road, ending a six-week loan at Gillingham. He played in friendlies for the Gills, but didn't get any first-team action.

"He wanted regular first-team football and I couldn't offer him that," boss Mark Stimson told Gillingham's website. "We have some players ahead of him at the moment, and I can understand his frustration. I wish him well."

6. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sky Sports claim that we're close to signing Argentine winger Sebastian Rusculleda from Primera side Tigre

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3030006,00.html

7. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowan Vine has signed a 4 1/2 year contract with QPR. Vine moves to W12 from Birmingham for an undisclosed fee. The 25-year-old striker scored 3 goals for the R's in a loan period that ended after our New Year's Day game.

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Birmingham site says we paid £1m for Vine. Reports indicate Birmingham bought him from Luton in January '07 for £2.5m.

9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just beat me to it! Glad to have Rowan back quickly!

10. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...which they then smoked in a big bowl from the sounds of things at Luton these days.

11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of savages ;)

12. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hate to wish ill on a club like Luton who's going through much the same thing QPR was up until just a few months ago.

But, yeah. I think pretty much everyone hates Luton.

13. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think I was served right for being so nasty this morning, when I heard an interview with a supporters leader and former board member from Luton. She laid out their struggles in a way that even made me feel for them. Their players have only been paid a small portion of their wages in the last couple months. And they only received that amount because of the TV coverage last weekend.

Not the nicest supporters I've ever met, but I certainly don't want them to go bust. Something that could actually happen on Monday, if bids for the club don't go through.

14. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Paul Furlong can come back! :)

15. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If I had the massive chequebook at HQ for a few minutes, I'd pay Furs just to sit on the bench.

17. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    So is this new owner of your going to put some of his funds into the transfer kitty? I've just heard about Lakshmi Mittal and his fortune and how he bought into QPR. IMHO I would think that he wouldn't of bought in unless he had designs of getting QPR into the Premiership to take advantage of the massive money flowing in the top flight these days. What kind of talk do you guys hear about?

18. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They plan to get the club to the Premier League within the next 3 or 4 seasons. We've spent over £4 million thus far in the January transfer window to bring in Vine, Buzsaky, Hall, Connolly, Agyemang, Ephraim, and Mahon. Plus they've brought Lee on loan from Manchester United. Rumors indicate we'll sign Argentinian winger Sebastian Rusculleda as early as today. We may add one or two more in January, including a backup keeper.

So, it looks to me like they're beginning to build a club capable of moving up the table this season and maybe pushing for promotion next season if they add a few more in the summer. And they're doing it with enough young talent (Connolly, Ephraim) and guys entering their prime (Buzsaky, Vine) that some may be good enough if we do earn promotion in the next few years.

They've also indicated they'll be funding improvements at Loftus Road.

19. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    My mind is still stuck in what we were going through for most of the last decade. Thinking about having money to buy players plus money for ground improvement. I'm still not used to it. The next 18 months or so will be a fun thing to watch.

20. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope its done more of the "Arsenal" way rather than the "Chelsea" way, meaning slower, sensible building rather than buy everything in sight now now now...and I've no doubt that it will, the current QPR owners are experienced in sports and all very successful, where as the current owner of that little club down the road is really just a criminal. I'll take more time in the championship if it means that QPR will be able to stay in the Prem and not yo yo like West Brom or Sunderland or soon to be Derby. Among other things Loftus Road really isn't a premiership ground anymore.

21. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, I'm okay if it's done the Charlton way. Solid club with a 27,000 seat stadium that can get and stay in the Premier League if it runs things the right way.

That said, I think you're right, Art. To me, the current purchases indicate they're going to do this the right way. They aren't really paying out of the nose or buying total has-beens.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm just glad we no longer have to do it the Luton way! :D

23. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all of you.
    I'm excited, my friend in Chicago is excited,

and our cabbie buddy (replete with club and country QPR/England tattoo) in W12 is...

...quite a bit less cynical than he usually is. :p

Slow and steady. Let the current side gel. If that means another year in the Champs, OK. Of utmost concern is staying out of the rel zone THIS year.

And I completely agree with art that promo followed by immediate rel is not a fun idea.
    Let's go up, and stay up. I can wait...

...even though I can't wait! :)

24. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    If there is one thing F1 guys are great at...it's raising money. $500 million per year budgets for a 2 car team. They will be able to bring plenty of money into the team. Without needing a 40,000 seat stadium. QPR will end up with loads of sponsors and turn Loftus Road into a Premiership caliber stadium that still only seats in the neighborhood of 20,000.