Post-match: The Post Presidency :: Trump Faces The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Jan 20, 2021.

1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You can thank Pat Buchanan for that!

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Mueller like a lot of people during the Trump presidency in law enforcement and in politics were unprepared for the corruption and lack of morals that Trump presented.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This was something that was a bit of a theme in Bill Browder's book (Magnitsky Act guy).

Basically lots of Americans, especially in fields like law, PR, reputation management and oppo research, worked for Putin stooges and pre-'16 it wasn't really policed. An example he gave was of a Russian woman who was very active in these litigations in DC who turned up at the Trump Tower "adoption meeting. "Adoption" was basically a code for fighting the Magnitsky act (i.e seizures of corrupt money) and was likely the quid pro-quo sought. So various American law firms and professional service consultants worked for her - and she is clearly a Putin operative at the end of the day.

As we also saw in London. it was very easy for the Kremlin to corrupt westerners in this way, or gain influence - and there is deniability. e.g Boris had tight ties to a pro-putin oiligarch but how do you prove anything?

Flynn and Manafort is the first example where anything was done about this. And even then, theoretically so long as you declare your interests, you can do this.

Deadtigers, soccernutter, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    No. Nothing like that.

I am waiting for people like Weismann or Strozk to weigh in on this.

But remember that Operation Crossfire Hurricane was led by Pete Strozk in '16 (this later became the Mueller investigation). So while this isn't great, we know the FBI was worried about all this stuff way back in early summer '16 and had an open investigation since the 'coffee boy papadopolous' issue was raised by a friendly nation

I think this more raises issues of corruption at that field office

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That stuff was investigated and nothing came of it. It was detailed at the Clinton Witch hunt trial brought by Durham,

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I think the "aww shucks" act from Comey was all a smokescreen. FBI was "Trumpland" and orchestrated the dirt drop on Hillary with Rudy's fingerprints all over it. Which of course turned out to be a big nothingburger.

bigredfutbol and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are NOT waiting for Matt Taibi's and Glenn Greenwald's takes?

Come on, Jitty, we are relying on you to post about it so we don't actually have to read their deranged drivel.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thinking through this a bit, Strzok and Crossfire Hurricane were based out of Washington.

So IMO this is about the corruption of the New York field office and what was going on there. The Clinton stuff. But it is also interesting in light of what came later, the whole Giuliani connection - wherever there are Russian agents, Rudy is close at hand!

In late July 2016, according to his May 2017 testimony to the House Intelligence Committee, CIA director John Brennan convened a group of officials from the CIA, NSA and FBI to investigate Russian interference.[26][27] In a July 2017 interview, Brennan described this group effort as a "fusion cell".[28] According to his later testimony, Brennan gave the FBI leads involving "contacts and interactions between Russian officials and U.S. persons involved in the Trump campaign" that were beyond the CIA's mandate to pursue. He said this information "served as the basis for the FBI investigation to determine whether such collusion [or] cooperation occurred".[29]

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was just thinking yesterday in light of the McCarthy/Twitter news, how Taibbi trashed whatever was left on his reputation as an author at the temple of Musk. I guess for money? Or did he see it as his chance to be relevant?

I enjoyed his book about Goldman Sachs, but in light of this stuff, I would not wonder how much of it he just invented or misrepresented.

@nicephoras long maintained that Taibbi talked a load of horse shit about the subprime loan crisis

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is Taibbi's constant harping about the Russian "hoax" anytime I see him on television that bugs me.

I have to look into his material about the subprime mortgage crisis.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    #5061 diablodelsol, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Re corruption in the NYC field office

If I were a betting man….and I knew for certain that a detailed in-depth corruption/criminal investigation of the FBI field office was going to happen…I’d bet the house that the history of that office playing footsy with Russian operatives dates back to the Giuliani prosecutions of the Italian mob in the late 80’s early 90’s that 1)created the power vacuum in NYC organized crime that the Russians happily filled and 2)was the reason Trump started looking to Russia for financing after his mafia partners here went down.

Saw this after I typed that. This guy is being represented by Giuliani’s old law firm.

yeah…I’m thinking this is way bigger than just criminal charges against a single fbi agent. Or better stated….there are a whole bunch of people that are hoping this really is only about a single fbi agent and are keen on being as involved as they can be with this prosecution in order to find that out.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really miss @nicephoras. Back when I first started posting in this forum (close to two decades ago) he was consistently one of my favorite posters.

luftmensch, soccernutter and rslfanboy repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    His contrarian act worked much better in the Obama era because everyone hates Wall Street and imagines there was some vast conspiracy

The material is better covered in books like The Big Short

Deadtigers and rslfanboy repped this.
  14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not only the lack of morals that Trump presented...but the laissez-faire attitude of the GOP as a whole excusing Trump's behavior.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hopefully he will come back one day!

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Remember there was a russian gangster who lived in Trump Tower who was an actual FBI informant after he got busted for some felonies? I forget that guys name. He came up a lot in the Mueller era

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He was all good except for his soccer Eurosnobbery. Don't let Americans work in London.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And at the upper levels of government. I was listening to a podcast interview by a guy who wrote a book about Gen Kelly. He said that Kelly described his time as trying to riegn in feral cats (my phrase), and worst offender was Trump. He had not expected Trump to be the leader of the chaos, just effected by the people around him. And as time went on, he tried everything to try and reign in Trump, but nothing worked. And when he got desperate, he realized that he had nobody else he could call for advice. He also said he planned to quit, but knew that a yes-man would replace him (and this was during the North Korea threats/insults which led to a love affair).

In short, even though Kelly was a 4 star, he was unprepared for the shit show that Trump intentionally created.

Now, I was listening to that and there is some revisionism going on, and a lack of introspection, but painted a picture that other have also painted about the chaotic departure form the norm.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but for all things Russia, he was (is) the guru.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He was a bit too harsh on the novels of Dostoevsky, too.

And if anything gets him back here, my post will do it...

luftmensch, Belgian guy, Kazuma and 6 others repped this.
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    He really was a wonderful journalist when he stuck to finance. I think he's taken the contrarian bit too far. We were friendly in our college years and my wife still is, on social media at least. She assures me that he's a really sweet person IRL.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    That's the famous work boot firm of Four Seasons Landscaping, Now With Lawyerin!

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Something I've learned in the last few years is some people have the potential to change drastically. Some changes happen in their lives or something snaps in their head and the person you thought you knew is now a fascist scumbag. In my case, they were not a family member so I cut my losses and moved on. Like I never knew them.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hey, dude's busy. Goldman's leg won't hump itself. :D

Deadtigers repped this.