Post-match: The Post Presidency :: Trump Faces The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Jan 20, 2021.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a mean comparison as the noble toad is concerned.

Winoman, soccernutter, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So can DOJ prosecute still or not? Expect some presidential historian to say it would be improper to do so too close to an election. Or too soon after an election he wasn't even in. Or it wouldn't be fair to a 2024 candidate at this point, yadda yadda.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They clearly can prosecute - most of the anoraks i have listened to over the last months seem to think he will be prosecuted and run for president under indictment

xtomx repped this.
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In all honesty if someone told me the American political establishment was working to try and get Trump back in as a full-on fascist president so they could see what it was like, I could believe them :(

Days, weeks, months... even YEARS seem to slip by and they're still fecking around trying to figure out what he's planning when he's straight up TOLD them what he was going to do and then he did it.

What do they need, a diagram drawing with pictures and helpful little notes? 'Oh, and HERE I'm gonna do some light couping'.

I mean, WTF??? :mad:

It's like jitty said some time ago*. They'lll STILL be droning on about the first amendment or the second or the third when they've got nazi stormtroopers marching down their streets arresting all and sundry.

* Can I just point out just how much I detest having to admit jitty might be right :(

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Luckily you don't have to admit I am right because it is a well known theory - of the inflexion point.

When an electoral autocracy is established, it becomes virtually impossible for the good guys to reverse it by democratic means... we are seeing this in the US at state level e.g Ohio. The fascists can simply ignore the will of the people by creating a bent system that ensures they win, then ignore all efforts to reverse it - simple brute power.

Therefore there is an inflection point before that stage, where the incentives favour the good guys doing a constitutional break to prevent it from happening in the first place.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Georgia is doing much the same. Their new voting rule for the run off is no Saturday voting.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    None of that will stop Republicans from pointing at Joe Biden's verbal stumblings, while implying that their candidate is different.

In truth -

1) Neither of these guys was ever especially articulate
    2) Now that they are old, they are outright poor speakers

The difference being while Joe does tell some whoppers, they are uncommon enough so that Republicans can identify Biden's porkies and turn them into video clips. Whereas with Trump, the porkies are essentially everything he says. Consider, for example, the number of lies that Trump made last night -

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/15/politics/fact-check-trump-announcement-speech-2024

Remove the nonsense from Trump's speeches, and nothing remains.

Deadtigers, ChrisSSBB and xtomx repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It'll come down to the Republicon voters in the primaries. If DeSatan gains momentum and Donnie is in court for the next year and a half then we might see Ronald Trump in 2024, which is scary enough. Dems want Trump, of course and Biden will definitely run if Donnie looks to be the front runner.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Of course, they can.
    He is private citizen. There is no protection for declaring an intent to do something in the future.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    We can't indict a sitting president sooo...

xtomx repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As I understand it, DOJs convention of not indicting is 90 days before an election

xtomx repped this.
  12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  16. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    upload_2022-11-16_15-19-48.jpeg

the first one did so poorly, there will never be another

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    i thought he was trying to say charters of power

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Now you get an A+ in Trumpspeak

19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    covfefe, Nambia ...

It's a waste of time to try and figure out what he was saying. Doing so assumes he is rational and has a normal level of intelligence. He is not and has not. The man is a fool and attempting to take him seriously is a waste of time. Don't throw effort after foolishness.

Deadtigers, Mike03, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    WTF was Comey doing in 2016 then? Action/inaction only seems to benefit one party.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?????

Whom, exactly, did Comey indict?

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    No, even announcing an investigation with just over a week to go I thought was a no-no. It likely cost her the election. Comey should've listened to his wife. Trump was too dangerous to give him a gift like re-opening what turned out to be, since it was a Wingnut screaming point, an insignificant email investigation.

Patrice was an ardent Clinton supporter and had long dreamt of seeing a woman elected president. She believed Trump was an existential threat and must never sit in the Oval Office. An argument between couples is normal. But in this argument, the Comeys — armed with knowledge that only a handful of Americans were privy to — had to weigh what felt like an incalculable decision.

And of course, the stakes felt impossibly high. And as it turns out, they were.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1245018

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]
    So, hang on... are you suggesting they might change enough before they get to that point?

TBH I can't say as I've seen much in the way of real change.

We're coming up on two years and we still haven't Trump charged with inciting an armed mob to attack the confirmation hearings which he did on national television.

IMO it's precisely because they haven't been decisive enough in their actions thats inclined the GOP to install these election deniers into positions of power.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The post you quoted specifically said indict. Not sure why you can’t just say “my bad.”

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My bad. Comey f*cked up.