The Portugeuse greats!!!!!!!11

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Fender playa, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    i remember my dad telling me about eusebio for the first time, simoes and how he was so small but nobody coudnt catch or touch him. and Paulo Futre and how he was one of the best players in the world in the early and mid 90's. what other greats are there from portugal(i mean before figo and R.costa)

2. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Wasnt there a guy named Augosto or somthin like that?:confused:

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Jose Augusto was a good player in played in both Benfica European Championship teams.

Benfica played a system of 2X3X5

players I did like Germano, Cruz leaving in Mass, Coluna,
    front line Jose Augusto, Eusebio, Torres, Eusebio and Simoes.
    First European Cup one of my favorite players Jose Aguas, much better then is son Rui Aguas ex Benfica and Porto player.

4. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Thanks for the info Frank..........;)

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Eusebio will be in Toronto Canada.
    They have a NASL reunion, Eusebio played for the Toronto Metros a Croatian own team, he was the captain and he accept the invitation.

6. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Yah my dad told me about that too.........:D
    he said that Eusebio Was the leading scorer to......

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I watch Eusebio against Pele Cosmos, at Randall's Island soldout crowd, Eusebio was playing for the Boston Minutemen he took a free kick 35 yards out and a blast into the net the goalie then even see the ball going in. On the play he limp and was out for the rest of the game, Boston did win 2-1.
    For the Boston team, players like Toni, Humberto Coelho, Artur Jorge, Simoes were playing right next with Eusebio.
    Eusebio with all this players played for the Las Vegas Quicksilver again Eusebio team beat the Cosmos, the Eusebio teams were better until the Cosmos finally starter winning in 1977 buy then Eusebio score is 1,000 goal with the NJ Americans in the old American Soccer League and retired.
    He also played for the Rhode Oceaners with the Newark Portuguese and East Side HS players from Newark Telmo Pires, Tino Domingues, and the Seton Hall coach a portuguese friend Manfred Scheldt. Manfred Scheld was the coach of the Union Lancers were Claudio Reyna played his junior ball.

8. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    wHO PLAYED FOR nEWARK pORTUGUESE?

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    defender

And the defenders? I like Vitor Baltazar, ex-Sporting and national team player. He must be coaching somewhere - he was at Lusitania in Ponta Delgada in the early 90s, but I lost track.

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Tino Dominguez played for Newark Portuguese, and Telmo Pires started with Newark Benfica.
    I watch Telmo Pires at the old Elizabeth Armory, soldout crowd for a final of the Indoor Tournament in around 1967. New York Ukranians were the favorites, to win everthing but they forgot about a 16 year old kid that played for East Side he came into the game and blast the goal three times, and Benfica won the Indoor championship, the year is around 67, if you go to the Newark Benfica club the throphy should be there, in those days Benfica had ex profissional players from Portugal Figueiredo was one of theme.
    Tino Dominguez after playing profissional return to the Newark Portuguese. Manso should remember this two guys.