Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Pegasus repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s a whole stupid US soccer trend on it. Playing retarded music with soccer highlights.

majspike repped this.
  3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richards looks to have gained more muscle. The kid is maturing.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good. He was a little on the lightweight side last year.

6. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I don’t think you could fault him much on either goal. It’s great that he gets the start in his first game back with Hoffenheim.

7. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just worried he was injured, he collapsed at the end and looked very uncomfortable.

8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo, mace, edcrocker and 4 others repped this.
  9. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Hobo repped this.
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice win.

12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So so happy that Richards got the loan back to Hoff... it is a perfect team for him to play on at 21... and I love that he can play on both sides of a CB pairing. He plays such solid D on both sides but I think he is a bit better passing long from the left side. At any rate... I am kind of surprised no one mentioned that he picked up his 1st assist of the season on the game-tying goal. Nice re-direct header off a corner that bounces thru the box to be put away. With Gio out Richards and Hoff is the 1st BL game I watch when I have a choice.

13. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game day threads are so dumb.

Let’s not talk about the most relevant context to the players club career in the player’s primary thread and then scream and moan when any topic not directly tied to said player’s club career is discussed in the primary thread.

All to appease the small subset of users who are available to follow games in the moment, most of whom don’t event actually want this separation of threads?

Make it make sense.

14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1442181865247477762 is not a valid tweet id

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Are those all touches or highlights?

16. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Highlights. If you click the tweet there is an “extended cut” version which is basically an every action/involvement type video.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember the last time I even bothered going to a YA Gameday thread. Why would I want to separate the discussion? Besides... unlike others... I can only pay attention to one game at a time when I am focused on YAs... so usually I am watching games on delay on ESPN+, Paramount+, Sling, TUDN or Fox Sports. The only Gameday threads I use are the ones related to the USMNT... and even that can be a bit annoying... E.g. Roster, Pre-game, gameday, post-game threads. It can be a bit repetitive and at times disconnected.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You have the reasoning backwards.

The main benefit of gameday threads is for people who are not watching the game, to prevent these threads from being clogged with pages worth of comments like "great defending there" that totally lack context and that you have to scroll through/skip past later. No one's upset about analysis of a match posted here afterwards.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason that sites like ESPN.com separate the play-by-play from the game summary.

20. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Game day threads can be a fun place to talk about what's happening in a match you're watching, or get a flavor for a match you didn't watch / watched part of, without clogging up the primary thread with one-liners and discussion of, say, that great play by Erling Haaland in the Reyna thread, when it isn't really relevant to Reyna, but was relevant to the discussion of that particular game. Threads on prominent players (mostly Pulisic) would have pages of pages of comments about the game that no one would want to read unless they're thinking about that exact game.

Very easy to ignore them if you don't want to be in one, and makes it easier to digest all of the content in a regular thread about a player you're following.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT, Namdynamo, mace and 15 others repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    For whatever reason, the threads don't seem as excited about this guy- but tremendous progress since he left FC Dallas. Exciting times! Congratulations young man!

24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    It’s only because he’s a defender. The anticipation of an assist or goal is more exciting than hoping the opposing team gets on a breakaway and Richards is there to save the day.

It’s the same reason Pulisic gets far more attention than Scally.

I wouldn’t mind if Richards continues to stay at Hoffenheim, especially since they look like a much better team so far this year.

My only criticisms for Richards is that he’s a bit inconsistent heading the ball. The other is he gets over aggressive in the middle of the field sometimes and gets caught out of position. Both can be fixed.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Do you mean like he loses headers/duels? Or that when he heads it he doesn’t control it well? Have t watched enough personally I think to judge.