Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Yep. I really can't think of any place I'd rather have a 21 year old CB continue to develop than a mid-table Bundesliga club. Great competition, great coaching, and a little more out of the spotlight.

usnroach repped this.
  2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? Hoff played in Europe two seasons ago. They have some talent.... perhaps adding Richards will help them creep towards Europa League.?.?

Dizi, madvillain, TMBMiles and 1 other person repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is there a USMNT player playing in Europe who hasn’t been referred to as Captain America at some point in their career?

Definitely seems like he’s well liked by his teammates at Hoffenheim though, and in general the club seems to really value him and wanted him back. Which is a good place to be.

4. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    They just got a lot a better so smiles all around except for maybe the guy he replaces.

theboogeyman repped this.
  5. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also seems like a standup guy overall who's willing to work for the rest of the team. Great type of guy to have around.

madvillain repped this.
  6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Amazing loan. Last year's loan, albeit short, was so freaking positive I almost couldn't believe it, walking straight into a good side's starting 11. Now we can run it back again, knowing that he'll absolutely get every opportunity to earn/cement a starting role.

What a bevy of riches the US has now, when we aren't really even concerned about not calling in this guy for WCQ. I'm assuming after a good run of starts, he'll be there (maybe starting) in October.

Great stuff. I coulda done without the contract extension, but I ain't the one collecting the increased paychecks.

madvillain repped this.
  7. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm ecstatic! It would've been cool to see him fight for a spot at Bayern but loan and extension are literally the perfect step for him right now.

Also I have full confidence in him earning a spot on the plane to Qatar. You need to be able to rotate with compressed schedule during a WC and I see him, Miles and Brooks as equally reliable for us regardless who Greg chooses in each game

8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    What is hoffenheims current CB set up look like? Last year during his loan I know Akpoguma was out and maybe one other CB. Wondering if the depth chart is a bit fuller this go around.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's always been big in Germany.

[​IMG]

10. robstonewall

robstonewall Member

United States
    Mar 11, 2021
    1434939457078276096 is not a valid tweet id

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's gonna have a killer year

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too. I have a ridiculous amount of faith in this kid. I really think he could be the best CB the USMNT has had in quite a while. Just stay healthy kid and go out and get er done.

honest trade repped this.
  13. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Perfect move. He was great for Hoffenheim last year, a good BL club. Another year of experience just the ticket. We need this young man for USMNT and World Cup next year. Super happy for him that common sense prevailed at BM.

Eleven Bravo and TimB4Last repped this.
  14. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So excited. I am expecting greatness from him this season. I hope he comes out strong today.

16. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chris at hoffenheim is such a ray of sunshine. he just starts and plays well.

why cant all of american soccer be so easy? i almost dont want him with the nats, itll just corrupt him somehow...

17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly looked relatively easy for him in his maiden campaign with Hoff... but he is still young and it is a tough position in a world-class league. I expect some hiccups... and of course... subsequent posters coming out of the woodwork to criticize him for them... but if he plays on par w/ last season and then shows more improvement then we are looking at the #1 CB for the USMNT IMO. It is still a lot to ask for a guy his age... but I think he can do it. Just think... Richards paired w/ Robinson along our backline. That would be a terribly athletic and young combo w/ all the recovery pace we would need to face class competition.

LouisZ repped this.
  18. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? The broadcast has him listed as a RB in this one. I really hope that is not the case.

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting. Transfer market shows Hoff with 9 CBS's on their roster and light with outside backs.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope... at left CB

ChrisSSBB and Ball Chucking Hack repped this.
  22. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richards looks alright but Hoffenheim have some issues to sort.

23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The offensive players are giving the ball away so cheaply. Bruun Larsen w/ an awful giveaway that results in a goal... and just a bunch of sloppy play otherwise. You have to give Mainz credit... their press has been on point. It seems like almost every Hoff O players is being double-teamed... to a point where it looks like Hoff is down a man. But if you are a Hoff player you need to find the outlet or the switch of field because if you are double teamed someone has to be open. Really hoping they can turn it around i the 2nd half.

At any rate... Richards was given praise by the announcer towards the end of the half for having a strong showing up to this point. Of course he mentioned Richards' gaff against Mainz last season that led to a goal at least twice in this one. It was really the only horrible play I can remember from Richards last season... so kind of unfortunate his 1st game this season back at Hoff is against that team. But we want to see growth... so far... I am seeing a solid CB appearance. Now I would like to see him break the lines a few times in the 2nd half. I think he only had one good long ball in the 1st. But if Hoff needs Richards to spark their offense then they are doing something wrong [see 1st half].

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Richards and Vogt coming up lame towards the end of the match. What a poor outing for the Hoff O. Richards played well outside of a very poor pass towards the end of the game.... I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he was not at 100%... but it was a very poor decision and I am sure he didn't get an injury to his brain... so he has to clean that up.

wixson7 repped this.
  25. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder