Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I’m just wondering, but what are the main benefits of this relationship for FCD? Is having that relationship really helpful for them in attracting youth options? I don’t really see what Bayern could give in return that would make FCD want to sell players to them bellow market value.

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Below market value? I don't know that any of us know the whole story, but I don't think Richards was actually signed to FC Dallas when Bayern first tried him out. I think they simply could have sniped him but didn't. An FC Dallas person can correct me. I think there's an open question of whether players like Richards or Che sign with Dallas if there isn't a Bayern avenue.

Dallas gets to work with Bayern and have their coaches talk with Bayern coaches. They can share tips on player development and programs.

They get to send their top kids for trials with Bayern, and then market that to top youngsters. They get to say to top prospects -- "this is a path to Bayern Munich."

And if not, Bayern has also gotten Servania a stint at St. Polten.

Bayern gets a feeder team in one of the most talent rich parts of the country.

LouisianaViking07/09 and madvillain repped this.
  3. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I could have misinterpreted things, but the way i read bshredder’s post about things being a two-way street was that Dallas wants to maintain a good relationship, and part of that involves a smooth transfer process. The implication being that they would get preferential treatment. I don’t think they should intentionally piss off Bayern or any other team, but I also don’t know if they need Bayern to help develop or market their prospects. They sold Reynolds for a very high fee by mls standards without any assistance from Bayern.

4. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Yeah, you're wrong on the details. Chris was signed to FC Dallas when he went on loan to Bayern. He was signed as a homegrown in 2018, which I think was even before the Bayern partnership. He signed after he won the DA b/c his coach told him that FC Dallas could further advance his career.

Che has been with FC Dallas since he was 8. Nothing to do w/ Bayern

Pegasus and gogorath repped this.
  5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1381975683384086531 is not a valid tweet id

KenC and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    According to tranfermarkt, Richards went to FC Dallas in April of 2018 and was on loan at Bayern by July of 2018. Perhaps there's nothing there, but it always seemed pretty quick to me. But I will take your word that it was just a quick acceleration.

I don't mean to say Che went to FC Dallas because of Bayern. I mean the Bayern connection is a reason for homegrowns to sign with them instead of trying to jump to Europe at 18 on a free. Che was merely a hypothetical.

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think we're really beginning to see the FCD/BM partnership unfurl. It started with Richards and BM has to be happy. Regardless of whether he ever becomes a regular he filled in at times, obviously has grown as a player and will/can be sold for a profit. He makes their MLS partner happy who continue to feed them players, ie Che.

Beyond Richards though, BM is the one who got Servania the loan. He really needed minutes and confidence and even if he gets sold for cheap to a meh European side, that was probably never on the cards for FCD without BM's help. A solid win for FCD that only cost BM a few phone calls and a little time. Servania himself had to perform on trial to make the deal a go. So BM does FCD a solid at no real cost to themselves and again everyone is happy.

Now FCD has Che who has a German passport and speaks the language. He's a fantastic prospect and FCD happily loaned him to BM when they expressed interest. I'm supremely doubtful he'll come back to MLS so again all parties are happy and all the other kids at FCD have another example of how turning pro with the club can work for their careers.

Everyone expects BM to take the best of the bunch but if they're willing to help some fringe players every once in a while land trials, opportunities with other clubs in Europe then FCD couldn't possibly ask for a better partnership. Especially with the training, coaching, and a shiny lure in front of youngsters as an incentive to go pro with FCD rather than wait and take your chances as a FA at 18.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A good contrast with McKennie that demonstrates the partnership benefits.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are also a lot of kids that go to Bayern for trials. For players that didn’t do even a year at college these are short grow up periods. BM and other teams aren’t playing around and kids see how serious they are. If more kids bring that attitude back it helps the whole team.

Coaches also go there and observe and learn. When there isn’t a pandemic Bayern sends some of their young kids or teams to Dallas where they get to experience different things. FCD has had two other partner clubs but this is by far the best. RBNY of course has their “partner” clubs but I’m surprised Philly doesn’t.

Gacm32, TimB4Last and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
  11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without any actual knoweledge, I suspect that Dallas is getting something significant from Bayern in this deal. I don't know what it is, but it's there. When I first read about the "deal" however many years ago, I was extremely skeptical. RSL (or was is Colorado?) had a similarly-worded "deal" with Arsenal previously, and it seemed like a vacuous thing, and there's been no transfers to Arsenal. Yet, now there's a freight train running for Dallas.

theboogeyman repped this.
  12. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I think the Allocation Disorder podcast suggested that the partnership gives Bayern some kind of access to the FC Dallas scouting network. This all makes sense, as the US is a giant country and the football structure is kind of crazy, so Bayern probably doesn't want to try and navigate all that.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  13. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Yeah, there has to be something that’s not really being mentioned, because I see no major benefits to FC Dallas on the surface, but the benefits for Bayern are obvious.

tomásbernal repped this.
  14. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I think the whole nationality mattering for club shirts, etc is definitely a bit overplayed at this point...

But Bayern would be like the perfect bandwagon team for the typical American bandwagon fan if they ended up developing an American star.

15. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I'd imagine it was the Rapids since they are both owned by Stan Kroenke

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd game in a row where Richards is part of a two-CB backline. It worked against Leverkusen... clean sheet. So far so good in this one against RBL.... 0-0 at the half. Richards might be one of the most important YAs out there now.... if he can continue to develop into a 1st/2nd tier world class CB then it will pay huge dividends for the USMNT. Love watching him play. Just scratching the surface. I expect to see some mistakes along the way... but the kid oozes talent at the position.

18. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    As Jurgen was always pratting on about the "spine" is critical to any success and part of that is a good CB combo, which to his defense he utterly did not have in the last cycle. I love Richards he's the first CB the US has produced that has the sort of on ball talent and defensive potential this is really needed to play the modern style imo. Brooks is a nice player, but Richards has a much higher upside.

19. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    He’s been rock solid today against a great team. Snuffed out multiple chances and been a pest in passing lanes.

When he went to Bayern, ever being good enough to start for them was an ambitious goal to say the least. The more realistic one was that he gets some great coaching and training before moving to a lower level top 5 league team and becoming a regular starter there.

The fact that he looks to have already accomplished that at 21 is massive.

20. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I think in hindsight and given his play at Hoffenheim there is a reason they basically tried to hang onto him as long as they good before deciding on the loan. They clearly rate him as one for the future and arguably they rated him as one for the present for awhile this year.

Zinkoff repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, his defense has been much better the last couple of games. Better positioning, anticipation, and assertiveness. That's where he needed to improve. You'd expect/hope a young player to, finally getting experience at a decent or higher level.

His distribution has been steady as an asset from the beginning.

dams and madvillain repped this.
  22. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Quite the performance:

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Richards picked a good match to have a big performance, because Bayern will appreciate 2 dropped points for Leipzig.

24. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    You don't become the Kings of German football only playing 3D chess.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia