The Pickup Players You Meet in Hell

Discussion in 'Player' started by Deleted Account, Aug 10, 2012.

1. KHANINHO

KHANINHO Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Fantastic thread that I had stuck in my mind coming home today from playing.

Bobby Ball-Changer
    This guy insists that the ball be changed every time he plays, even if said ball is an optimally inflated, neutral, match ball that everyone else agrees is perfect. Typically calls for the change after he takes a horrible touch unrelated to the specifics of the ball and substitutes an over-inflated $8 Voit rock for the dreamy-creamy ball that was in use.

Elninho, cleansheetbsc and paulo repped this.
  2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that indirectly reminds me of a pain in the ass who's been in our group for years now, a multiple of the different PPYMIH already cited. he also has a fixation on field dimensions. after it's all set up and we start playing he decides it's too wide... then a couple of latecomers show up and it needs to be longer. then longer again. which means it also needs to go back to the original width. and of course for him the goals are always too small because he likes big scores. and he does all the changes while play is going on without getting an opinion (which would naturally be "JUST ACT NORMAL AND PLAY FFS!!!"). it even happens that someone is going to shoot and there's mr. OCD with the goal cones in his hands.

we ought to make a rule that when this happens, hitting him right in the huevos counts double.

3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I hate the guy who i will call...
    Tommy Tricks-A-Lot.
    Listen here you flog, you dont need to try a billion step overs, try and nutmeg everyone and play the impossible pass EVERYTIME YOU GET THE ********ING BALL. HOW ABOUT YOU JUST CONCENTRATE ON YOUR SHIT FIRST TOUCH, AND THEN DO THE SIMPLY THINGS BRILLIANTLY INSTEAD OF THE BRILLIANT THINGS SHITTILY.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ah, he must be a Will Coevrer disciple.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh goodness, we had this guy recently. Wears cologne too. It works, I don't want to mark him.

6. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Best ones to nutmeg in front of his missus though haha.

7. Richard Fitzpatrick

Richard Fitzpatrick New Member

May 11, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Larry Loose Lips was one I knew in school, talked a BIG game pre match then got shown up as a poser who could do the occasional step over.

9. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    I never understood why people get so upset about this. I've never seen a game that was cancelled because someone didn't have both a dark and a white shirt.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    part of the male bonding is getting other guys' shirts sweaty anyway.

11. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hahahaha I died. I hate Timmy Rabona more than the others though

12. Kevin Alexander

May 27, 2004
    America's Dairyland
    ...And now me as well....

Took my son to a local park to just kick the ball around and take some shots, as he loves playing GK. Next thing I know, he's rounding out the roster in an impromptu 6v6 game. Told him no one was gonna go easy on him (while secretly hoping they might), and he just smiled. Gotta say he handled himself admirably; went in hard, came out sliding a couple of times, etc.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  13. EmpowerdAthletes

EmpowerdAthletes New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Half-Ass Harry. If their chronic resting bitch face is not enough, they never learned that soccer is a competition where two opponents compete to bring the best out of each other. They lack complete grasp of the concept of serious fun and prefer to keep it mellow. They dont close down on defense, they display no urgency, and generally bring the level of play down despite the fact that they often have decent touch on the ball. Then they wonder why they get two footed.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  14. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    I still prefer Half-Ass Harry over 200% Tony.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the worst is the guy who one week is one, the next week the other. we have one of those, who is without doubt one of the 2-3 best players we ever have in our extended group. so you obviously build one team around him. and if he's on one of his "i can't be bothered" mornings it's a slaughter.

Elninho repped this.
  16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Franky Faff About today, pass the ball to him, and all he has to do is look up and put it into space for a striker to run onto, instead holds onto the ball for what feels like an eternity to make the wrong decision which usually leads to the ball going out into touch. Bonus points if it goes out off him.

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one guy I play pickup with. He's always either the best player on the field or the worst player on the field, nothing in between. On his good days he's an instinctive goalscorer with plenty of speed to burn, great touch, and good enough vision to see when someone has a better look at goal than him, and makes good runs into space all day and tracks back and defends too. On his bad days, he hangs around in front of his own goal, doesn't close down anyone, just halfheartedly tries to block shots, and every time the ball goes to him he just hoofs it upfield.

18. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    We just started an adult rec co-ed league. Made up of mostly AYSO coaches around the age of 40. Some in good shape. Some with good skill. Not many with both.
    My team is just there for a good time. While we have some decent players, I wouldn't say that we have any "ringers."
    Team we played last night had Joy Fawcett on it. Another team has a player that was in the Womens United Soccer League in 2000. Another team has a Serbian National Futsal Team at the age of 15 and then played with the New York Express and San Diego Sockers.
    There was also a younger girl (mid 20's) last night that was lightning fast and the dirtiest player I have seen. Must have stomped on at least 4 sets of toes last night, elbowed a guy in the face and whined every time someone got near her. 50/50 ball, guy on my team lets up and she tries to run through him. She bounces off and starts swearing at everyone around her.

19. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've often heard in our town that the co-ed league has the most fights. The typical scenario goes girl hacks guy (either in retaliation or not). Guy hacks girl (either in retaliation or not). Girl gets mad. Boyfriend or husband comes to her defense. Fistfights galore.

20. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1000 I don't even mind Hall-Ass Harry if he passes. If someone two-foots me in a pickup game, I'm going to stomp.

My nemesis is a sub-species of Tommy Tricks-a-lot. Tries to dribble everyone, at all times, and would try to beat three guys and dribble the keeper before making a simple square ball for you to tap into the goal. Spends the rest of the game grazing and giving teammates looks of disgust whenever he screws up or a teammate passes to someone else. His acts of disgust and dramatic reactions when he's dispossessed will increase in intensity if he recently watched Cristiano Ronaldo play for Portugal.

Sounds awesome. I might have to join one just for the entertainment value.