The Pickford Richarlison Thread: aka The Injury Thread III

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Seeing reports that Thiago is out 6 weeks.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not the worst since 2 of the weeks at the end are an international break - which should allow him to recover fully

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #603 Red Bird, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    I’m slowly coming round to the idea that we can no longer count on him, a little bit like Oxlade Chamberlain. Sigh …

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't count on him of course - but when he plays (the 60% of the time) - he's incredible. We have him in the CL final healthy - we win.

We need to buy 2 new midfielders, let Elliott and Carvalho play more and start thinking very very quickly about replacing Henderson, Milner, Ox, Keita and Thiago.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thiago will miss at least:
    CP
    MU
    BHA
    Newcy
    Bitters
    CL game
    Wolves
    CL game
    Chelsea

... assuming it is in fact 6 weeks -- plus a bit of time to get to match fitness. then it's a 2 week break.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

7. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Yup Thiago and Keita are luxury players. They're great when they're fit - particularly Thiago - but they're only fit part of the time. Not regular starters. Agree we need to bring in some first class MF talent pretty quickly.

8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've been chastised for banging the Thiago drum the last two years!
    He's never played more than 30 league games in his career and has had several seasons of only playing single digit matches.
    I'm happy he is part of our squad. But for our manager to rely on a player so unreliably fit is maddening.

9. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Frankie De Jong may be available:) I may be serious!

Red Bird and imasyko repped this.
  10. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This 'just several weeks' with a hamstring is going to be like Sturridge's 'just a few days with a deadleg.'

I'm so glad everybody is on my side this season wrt Thiago's fitness.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So Keita is back in training. We need his ability to turn with the ball and break defensive lines. His is one genuine tragedy precipitated by the Guinea FA.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    nope - your side was "don't sign him".

I haven't seen "we should not have signed him" on any site I frequent. more of "we're so lucky to have such an exquisite talent in our squad".

delaynomo repped this.
  14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

that's better than what you saw yesterday!!!!!!!!! ;)

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #615 zaqualung, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022

We're not relying on him. There's him, or Naby, or Harvey for that spot. (Carvalho may end up being the main understudy....

delaynomo repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It states in there that Liverpool do not consider the injury to be serious. Those things usually run 2-5 weeks. A couple of weeks off it and therapy, and then a couple of weeks of building back the strength. It shouldn't be a big deal.
    In some big games, sure, I'd like the option of a Hendo, Naby, Thiago or a Fab, Naby, Thiago, but the only really big game we have upcoming where we might need to is Chelsea..... so, frankly, everyone is fretting a little too much.....

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A hammie tear is serious business.
    A hammie tear in a player whose body falls apart in a slight breeze is downright threatening.

18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I did say "don't sign him" but not because of his talent (it's undoubted).

But everybody is now seeing the folly of relying on this player. His 'freak' injury in 2020, covid last season, now this. He's a magnet for missing huge chunks of a season and our manager even slightly relying on him is a travesty as it messes with our ability to play in his preferred way.

burning247 and Red Bird repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would still like to have him + another talented midfielder.

The bigger issue is that Keita is just as injury prone and has never hit the heights here (except through statistics). So it's not like we can say - no worries - we have Keita ready to go - when half the time he isn't ready either.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That’s my problem, too; his availability is so random.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not a medical expert, but I have on occasions popped a hamstring, though I've never torn one badly though. The difference seems to be 2-4 weeks versus a couple or a few months recuperation.
    This is by all accounts being reported as the former. Regular hamstring injury that many players get..... why would it be different??

22. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep, exactly.
    It sucks because Keita never exhibited an injury bug prior to his washing up on these shores. Yet he never seems to miss an international game.
    As i said back then, give me a Gini or Dendoncker who is fit and able to do a very specific job day in, day out rather than a generational talent who's only available 55% of the time.

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's like asking why should a deadleg keep Daniel Sturridge out for more than a training session or two?
    Thiago has ALWAYS been injury prone - and when injuring such a critical muscle, it is going to remain injury prone for him.

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    when was he last time keita was unavailable? Hasn't he been fully fit since before the end of last season? (Sick doesn't count)

25. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I actually met Thiago 5 years ago when he played for Bayern and was in his prime. Real nice and friendly guy. Clearly, he's past his prime and injury-prone. Even when "fit", he's been poor in more than a few matches (CL Final comes to mind). But when he's on, he's spectacular. Should we move on and sell him? I'm not quite there yet but we can not count on him for much. Colour me crazy, but I sometimes wish we went for Coutinho again in 2020 rather than Thiago.