The Pickford Richarlison Thread: aka The Injury Thread III

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Harvey on his way back. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

soccershaggy and CB-West repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    good to see.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Curtis Jones will have handed Jurgen Klopp a fresh worry after it emerged that the young Englishman is suffering from ‘tightness in his groin area’.

This comes from The Boot Room, with the publication quoting England U21 coach Lee Carsley following the Young Lions’ 2-2 draw Slovenia, which the player had missed out on.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    so today we lost Millie, hamstring, and Keita. not yet known how bad.

fukk sake .....

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yayyyy ....

I love this kid!! He's a real joy to watch....

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pep Lijnders at today's pre-game presser ...

Naby: "It was a bad tackle [by Paul Pogba] but luckily Naby's foot was not on the ground. It could have been much worse. We'll take it day-by-day but it's looking better and better. Naby has a bruise in this moment, we assess it day by day. It’s looking good, so that’s good."

Millie: "This [injury] will be until the international break for sure, so it’s a long one"

Fab: “Fabinho will not be ready for tomorrow’s game, we will assess him day by day still. He can make the game on Saturday hopefully."

Thiago: “Then we have Thiago as well, who is closer to team training than ever. He will be later in the week with the team training. Probably Brighton comes too early but it’s good that he is back, especially in the situation we are in.”

Kelleher (illness): “Not sure, he trained with the team but it seems he had a little setback so he probably will not be involved.”

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hope Naby recovers soon. I think we're now starting to see the player we've been waiting for. I don't think he'll ever be a strong defender - the coaches will need to ensure others adjust for that - but his contribution and skills in attack are great. he isn't shirking challenges, it was great to see him push through Slabhead and Shaw on Sunday to create that goal.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ben Dinnery, who runs the Premier Injuries site and has a background in medicine and data analysis:

“Naby Keita was fortune that his foot wasn’t planted. If he had all that weight going through that foot, he would be in a far worse position than he is now.

“It was a really bad challenge. But even though he was stretchered off, the early signs show there is cause for optimism. He will maybe have been sent for an X-ray and there is the potential that there is a hairline fracture. But it certainly wasn’t splintered."

9. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relieved to hear that Naby just has a bruise. Sounds like he may just miss tomorrow's game.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    this may provide a clue as to why Naby gets injured so often ... jeez ...

AnyConv.com__FCe2FvwXoAomVsJ.jpg

looks like he borrowed those shin pads from a 2-year old.

11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My 13 yr old grandson has just made the regional U14 team and he wants smallish shin pads too , not Nabby Keita small thank goodness. But I'm sure the kids see the pro's like Nabby doing this and then follow suit.

Not a great idea imo.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    never seen anything like it - hardly seems any point having them on !

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The smaller the better.
    They're not going to stop your leg from being broken.
    They'll keep some nicks and bruises away, but the added weight and bulkiness makes them irritating - especially to players who NEVER train with them.

15. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There's no significant weight to modern shin pads. The modern versions are light and provide decent protection for shins.

Much better than what was on offer back when.

soccershaggy repped this.
  16. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They're not lighter than Keita's....
    There really is no reason to mandate them for the pros other than to ensure kids throughout the world are wearing them.

17. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just bought brand new pads for my grandson and there's no weight to them. Anyone saying weight is an issue needs to have a talk with themselves.

SamScouse repped this.
  18. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    With modern technology, there should be no reason to not have full sized, light weight shin guards that actually protect the shin.
    I get not wanting to wear them- I never wanted to either. But I didn't want a broken leg either.

speker repped this.
  19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Shinguards" Keita trained with the team today.

delaynomo repped this.
  20. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If players were given the option, I bet 70% would not be wearing them.
    If you are going to get your leg broken by a tackle on the field, no shin guard on earth is going to keep that from happening. The only thing they protect against is bruises and scrapes.
    And these guards (Rashford and Hendo in the foreground, VvD in the background) are all 'small,' but definitely bigger than Keita and DCL, but what protection do they really offer?
    upload_2021-10-28_13-4-7.png

I used to take the foam backing off my guards and just wear that - was in the shape of a guard and provided, much like Hendo above, just enough of a hint of an outline in my sock so as not to dry the ire of refs.

21. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If they're so light, are they really going to protect against a leg break?

But every gram counts and every gram adds up over 10,000+ steps over 90 minutes.
    It's why shoes keep getting lighter and lighter.

22. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There are other types of injuries in football other than leg breaks. Shin guards can protect against contact cuts , skin tearing , serious bruising etc . I rather wear them than have zero protection and the ones I wore were not as light as the modern variety. I'd never play without them.

Yep shoes keep getting lighter as do the shin guards .

Wingtips1 and SamScouse repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I guess that's why Kevlar doesn't exist.

soccershaggy repped this.
  24. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is obviously a generational divide.
    I am just old enough to remember when guards became mandatory for professionals and there were still some hockey players NOT wearing helmets (this was crazy in the '90's, I can't imagine it now).
    I understand, coming from your time, when fields were mud, balls were leather and would weigh 7 lbs when wet, and tackles were vicious, thinking shin guards are absolute must.

However, in the modern top level professional game, most tackling is outlawed and it makes sense the players would want to be as comfortable as possible while carrying around as little weight as possible.
    None of them train with guards and, as seen in all the pictures, they barely wear guards as now in matches despite the laws in place.

Fun to get everyone's opinion.

25. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So much wrong with that post,tips. You know I played well into my 40's ) the 1990's and football equipment was pretty good even the balls. :).
    Then I coached up until about 12 years ago so its not like I've been out of touch with the game since the dark ages .
    Few players train wearing shin guards simply because theres little risk of fellow team mates really getting stuck in on each other in a practice. Its always been like that .
    Competitive games are different and I totally disagree that pro's of today barely wear guards in matches as the pic below clearly shows.

[​IMG]

SamScouse repped this.