The Phillies vs. Mets Thread 2008 - Cities wih Brotherly love & two teams that hate each other

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by otterulz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, the last thread was close to the 450 mark so I hope it's ok that I started up a new one. Plus I didn't want too many of our boys laying the smack down in the Phillies thread since that's just not the way we do things. Civility, people!

Out of courtesy, the Phillies name goes first in the title due to the fact that we handed them the NL East crown. Really, it's just an arbitrary thing but we'll pretend it has meaning for the sake of rivalry and team pride.

On the agenda:
    1. Why the Phillies still suck no matter what they do in the baseball world.
    2. How many games before the Phillies board screams for Charlie Manuel's head?
    3. How to fix Brad Lidge: Prozac or a good shrink?
    4. Johan Santana: Is it fair he's pitching in the NL?
    5. A tribute to former first base coach Rickey Henderson.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Phillies vs. Mets Thread 2008 - Cities with Brotherly love & two teams that that hate each o

Oh and I seemed to have added another "that" to the title so if a mod could change it that would be great.

3. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Re: The Phillies vs. Mets Thread 2008 - Cities with Brotherly love & two teams that that hate each o

It's alot more fair then Pedro Feliz playing for the Phillies. PEDRO FELIZ!

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, how was that smack habit you picked up last year?

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just because I love you steaksuckers, here's some free ammo

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072008/news/worldnews/pedros_fowl_ball_475252.htm

The first Phils fan to show up to Pedro's start in a chicken suit gets mad props

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

The Double,

Can we count on ya stick around all season, or are ya gonna pout and hide at the first sign of trouble (aka, the Jose Reyes dance) like last year.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

And really, who are these newbies that crashed the Phils thread? Don't they know that they gotta earn the respect that there forefathers Matt, otter, and the double posted for over two seasons ago?

Some clowns just have no sense of history.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's ok, we welcome anyone with a passionate hatred of cheesesteaks, the Liberty Bell, and the Phillies. Sorry, Hang.

Anyway, what's the big ********in deal about Pedro and Marichal attending a cock fight? From my understanding, it's a huge part of the culture down in the Dominican. Who in god's name are we to tell them that they're wrong. ********in PETA needs to start worrying about other shit. Why don't they go to Madrid and protest bullfights? Losers.

And this is definitely different than the Mike Vick situation. First off, it's LEGAL in the Dominican. Second, Pedro was an honorary guest of some sort while Vick and his friends decided to torture the dogs and do all sort of other shit. I'm not saying the act of cock fighting is wrong, but it seems more an attack on culture than anything else for something that's legal over there. But here in the US of A, dog fighting is illegal. If Pedro attended an illegal cock fight, then yeah, I'd be dissapointed and he'd deserve the wrath of PETA.

Ok, sorry. Had to vent.

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

I was too drunk/sad.

10. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey

Question for you philly fans. What are your expectations this year? I know everyone wants to win the world series but some teams need to be a little more realalistic than others. Not saying you guys don't havea good team but I know as a met fan its either make it to the series or bust. But how about you guys? You guys ok with just another NL east title and beating the mets or do you guys feel that you have the roation to make it to the WS and win it? Is it your year?

As a philly hater, I will say that your lineup is no joke. Rollins, Utley(best 2nd baseman in the MLB) and Howard are a very scary. But other than Hamels in the rotation, I'm not to big on any other name. What do you guys think?

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

The Phils need to win the NL East this year at the very least. Anything less with the best 1st baseman, 2nd basemen, and shortstop in team history would be a disappointment. I think that Hamels, Myers, are as solid as you can ask for at the top of the rotation, as for the rest of the rotation, I have no clue what to hope for out of any of them. But I wouldn't bet against Moyer. The guy has more guts than most teams.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You gotta love Beltran opening his mouth. But, even more, you gotta love even the NY stations referring to it as "pulling a Rollins." Jimmy is part of your lexicon now, New York! Never settle for cheap imitations though.

As far as sequels go, this has the feeling of Weekend at Bernies 2: Dead Team Walking in September. A box office bomb at Shea, and around the country.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like the Godfather 2 bub. A trophy winner, just like this season for your Metropolitans.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The Mets are the only National League team right now that deserves to compete in the American League.

15. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Royals and As compete in the American League. What's your point?

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    On what basis? They lost Glavine and added Santana. They lost Laduca and added the Nats catcher.

Do two players completely make up for an entire team collapsing last year? Is it possible that Santana could have pitched all 8 consecutive games that the Mets lost to the Phils to end the season. Does he have a clutch bat that none of the Mets showcased when it mattered most as well?

I've never seen such fascination with a guy who only plays seven innings every five days.

The rest of the choking parts remain the same.

In short, they don't even compete well enough to win in the national league.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Something along these lines...

MLB story lines to watch in 2008 - Baltimore Sun

18. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the AL is stronger then the NL at the moment. I just had a couple of issues with your original statement.

1. There are plenty of crappy teams in the AL. I would argue that the top three teams (Braves, Mets, Phillies) in the NL East would be ranked in the top half of the AL. And that's not even including the Dbacks and Rockies or the Cubs and the Brewers.

2. That the Mets are the class of the NL. They had one of the crappiest offseasons in baseball until they signed ONE player and all of a sudden they are the class of NL. I don't buy it.

And your source loses credibility when they list the Mariners as the 6th best team in MLB. That is laughable. Even though they added Bedard, they still have to score runs. The Phillies (without a DH for the majority of their games) outscored the Mariners last year by 98 runs.

19. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    Last year was last year. If you honestly think what happened last year will happen again than your nuts. How about the year before when we ran away with the NL east by july with pretty much the same team? Last year we didn't have a #1 starter, we didn't have pedro until august, we had our core guys hit a slump(other than david wright) our bullpen got over worked by the end of the year and it was just a bad time for Mets baseball. I will give you that you guys are the team to beat in the NL east. Until someone knocks you off, your still defending NL east champs.

You have to realize as met fans we don't look at our offseason as just 1 good pickup and the nats catcher. We have a healthy pedro back, sanchez is back in our bullpen and from I've been reading and hearing he looks very good.(lost20lbs) Church was a good pickup for us in RF and we got the best pitcher in baseball to lead our rotation. What else do we need other than a backup 1st baseman and another right handed bat for when we have to sit church?

How about you guys? What have you guys done? You guys can't be serious if you think your going to the world series with that rotation. You couldn't even make it out of the 1st round last year and if your going to relay on Moyer and Kendrick as you 3rd and 4th starter than I think you guys are in trouble. Your lineup is nasty but the rotation and the bullpen are still a little sketchy.

I honestly can't wait till openning day. 08 is going to be one hell of a season.

20. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, please get me through the crappy sports month of February.

21. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    I was thinking last night about how everyone is talking about the mets vs phills this year and how its us 2 for the NL east crown. But is any other met fan or phillies fan worried about those bumbs from atlanta? I know they didn't make to many moves and they lost Jones and Renteria but they got Mike Hampton back from his 3 year layoff and as we saw last year they have some nice young talent in kelly johnson and escobar. And as both of us know, these bastards can make a move at anytime and start playing good ball. So is anyone worried about them this year or is it going to be a 2 team race to the finish all year long with the mets and phills?

TBH I hate the braves but those bastards always scare the shit out of me. But I guess 14 staright division titles will do that.

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    For those of you who don't have time to re-read all of last years thread, on this eve of opening day, let's take a look back at 2007 from a Mets fan's point of view first....

[youtube]nVyhSzU5dV0[/youtube]

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    and here is a little bit of what you guys missed in ny....

[youtube]6jZ2Qv5kPRY[/youtube]

24. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Towels are just one step away from Thunderstix. What a joke.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    True perhaps. But is that all you got? I think the bigger joke is you being one step away from the playoffs. In fact, I'm still laughing.

And, I'm not the only one.