The Philadelphia Union Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 21, 2021.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can confirm. My grandparents were born there, so I have one, and I can give to my grandkids since I have it before they're born.

You don't count as a foreigner in either the EU or in England, so it's pretty nice to have.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This doesn’t show up on any of those highlight reel or every touch videos. When you watch his ability to process the game over the course of a season, it’s hard to say this is hyperbole. I can count on one hand the number of players in the system that I’d say have a higher soccer IQ than this kid, and I’m not sure I’d need a full hand. His skills will play up due to his soccer IQ. I think people who don’t see it now will start to realize this eventually.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/top-5-young-player-performances-in-week-4

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What is the reason that they didn’t sign Ben Ofeimu? I think he’s probably better right now than either or their two starting CB’s. He is so out of place in USL. There must be some good reason for this. It is so hard to believe the evaluation on his play is that he’s not good enough.

SUDano repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, Wikipedia and Transfermarkt and others seem to be wrong on his birthplace. Based on the timeline Conor gives the family likely moved to the US from Ireland in 2005. Or, at the earliest, late 2004.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flach and McGlynn starting again against the Revs.

Harriel, Turner, Fontana, and Aaronson on the bench (along with Freese and Real).

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    So, is he a citizen? parent(s) usa citizen?

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen confirmation although the DA site does list both brothers with US nationality, so could say probable.

ussoccer97531 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McGlynn also has "USYNT" in his Twitter bio.

ChuckMe92, ussoccer97531 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    although player twitter accounts are less than 100% reliable...

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    HGP Salaries

You can get occasionally see who the team values more by looking at the salaries

Turner - $88K
    Sullivan - $67K - League Minimum
    Real - $90K
    McGlynn - $78K
    Harriel - $89K
    Freeze - $115K
    Fontana - $108K
    De Vries - $135K
    Craig - $77K
    Aaronson - $91K

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Differences among HGP salaries, broadly speaking, seem to be 30% driven by how much the team values certain players, and 70% by whether or not the player has serious overseas interest. It seems like none of these guys were able to hype up enough foreign interest to get Philly to cave and give them $200k+.

xbhaskarx, TarHeels17 and gogorath repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    McGlynn has been in YNT camps, but so has Nyeman in some of the same camps at a time we knew he wasn’t USYNT eligible. McGlynn is very likely already eligible, but it’s possible he’s another player whose working on his citizenship.

ChuckMe92 and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    One thing I wonder about is if the age of the player at signing has any impact on salary?

Perhaps a player signed at say 15, might be signed at a lower salary than a player signed at 18? A player signed at 18 is more of a sure thing, even if the ceiling is much lower, so the risk is lower. Also, the older player has a bit more leverage if they are good enough to go overseas than a younger player. The younger player is a higher risk in some ways, has more time to kill before threatening to leave for Europe and getting one or two extra years at a lower salary might make up for signing at a higer salary later. (If I was 15 and had a choice of signing for $70k now or MAYBE $100k in two years AND also having the prospect of more leverage regarding Europe etc as a 19 yr old vs as a21 yr old I might not think of the $70k as too bad of a deal.

14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things equal, yeah, you'd expect the younger kid to get paid less, but usually the younger kids are higher potential, and there's probably too many confounding variables to make any real conclusions.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With FCD kids, it tends to be all over the place. Its tempting to find patterns, but ultimately there aren't any.
    Thomas Roberts makes more than any kid from Philly.
    He's on $160k. He makes more than Tanner Tessmann, who had all of that Clemson leverage.

16. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    If you guys get a chance, watch this kid- he's the real deal. He's not dominating the way he used to because he's playing 2 ages up (with the u14s) and physically the gap is pretty big now, but he's still doing great things out there. His passing, IQ, and skill are probably at the u18 level if not higher. Plus he looks like he's having fun out there, which is great to see. I'm sure he'll be in Germany by 16 but I think we'll see him in the Union first team before he goes..

17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn’t quite pop off the screen all the time but even playing two age groups up he just does everything right in every phase of the game. Right now his only limitation is that as a 2009 he can only grow so much. As he continues to physically develop he’s going to be a monster

18. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I agree. When he played for Delco he was playing 2 years up and was always the best player on the field. Now his opponents hit puberty and he's giving up 6-12 inches and 30lbs to the CBs that are marking him. Still doing great stuff out there but not as often. A really fun player to watch with a lot of personality.

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He might be Maradona, but what a horrible clip.

21. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I love the Philadelphia U-12 thread

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

24. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Opponent was a USL League 2 side, which is rebranded PDL.

Thundering165 repped this.
  25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gogorath repped this.