The Philadelphia Union Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 21, 2021.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where are Jose Villarreal and Jack McBean coaching?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Oscar Sorto and Raul Mendiola

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Raul Mendiola is playing for Central Valley Fuego. I almost lost it when I saw he was still playing.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why? He is just 29 and LAG is consistent at developing its stars into Central Valley level clubs players.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Apparently a bit of a scuffle at the end of the game between the Union and Flamingo. Not having watched the game not sure if something occurred during or it was a particularly heated game.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's normal for Brazilian youth teams.

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1233 jaykoz3, Apr 11, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2024

ussoccer97531 and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  9. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    The game isn't over yet but I just want to say in writing right now that I hope it's clear to Curtin that Quinn is an 8 at this point. He is just so good when he is able to get on the ball and contribute in the build up and full transition phases and not just stuck as a second striker chasing CBs around all game. Just another game where his influence is clear from that 8 spot. That Uhre goal was 1) really really close to onsides to my eyes and 2) started with Quinn on his own endline and ended with a great would be assist by Quinn in the Atlanta box.

He has the athleticism to be effective in offense and defense at this level and has just the right amount of IQ and technical ability to find space, play the space and link with teammates. Plus he has a great shot and can serve in good balls too.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quinn Sullivan has to be the USYNT guy who has improved the most right? Do they give out a "most improvement" award? If not they should.

deejay and Jack0503 repped this.
  11. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    It's debatable how much he's just had to wait for his moment as opposed to how much he's actually improved, I guess. I would nominate Griffin Yow before Quinn.

moochie, xbhaskarx and butters59 repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Tessmann.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about Griffin Yow... did Tessmann's big improvement happen this year or last year, I feel like he was already pretty good last year but then he has certainly improved more since then.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Mostly this year, otherwise he would have been bought by Serie A team already.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't for the life of me tell how this is offsides. If 1 doesn't keep him on, the 2nd has to.

1 can't say it's automated so infallible. Last season Gutierrez was onside by yards but VAR missed the guy further down the line. Maybe it's just looking at the first guy. IDK, but it has screw-ups.

I feel like Quinn's had a few goal involvements questionably disallowed this season to hurt his #'s.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this one live and was upset about it. The lines on the artificial turf make it sure seem like he was onside. It also would have completed a VERY fast 3-goal unanswered comeback for the Union at what the announcers were calling a "fortress" during the broadcast so it kind of felt shady to me (but sometimes I see conspiracy where there isn't -;)) We need automated off-sides.

18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It honestly looks to me like his shoulder is off. Nearly impossible to tell from the angle, though.

Still, it's a good play by Quinn; the call doesn't change that.

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JUnionFan repped this.
  20. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ussoccer97531 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  22. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    I think U2 are still undefeated?

I wonder if they are capable of getting to a point where the sheer talent of the young players along will keep them afloat in the league. I've watched them over the years and they have certainly bounced between not good and bad. Of course I just mean from league results position - I understand the focus on youth and development is the priority for them, not results in MLS Next Pro.

But still, it's intersting to me - this season they have looked better and I feel like have better kids playing better overall. Still very raw and rough, but better than they used to be. Players like Olney and Vasquez already look pretty solid at this level and I know are real first team prospects. The two CBs are rangy and athletic for this level and fit the first team perfectly (one being Pierre and the other South African youth player they brought in).

Their 6 is a Swedish youth player who honestly already looks like the best player on U2 to me - I'm not surprised that a good player at that position can make the whole team look better which is why Martinez is so important for the first team.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Philly does a good job getting pretty decent domestic talent from out of more obscure yanks abroad situations. Leon Flash, Markus Anderson, now Soria.

25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JUnionFan repped this.