The Philadelphia Union Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not trying to disparage Philly with these comments. Far from it. Simply saying it'll be really interesting to see what happens when they inevitably get Euro interest this window with these players. Will they be able to "keep the band together" for another season in MLS? This is the first window in which Paxten Aaronson, for instance, is eligible for a move. He's OLDER than Justin Che.

I will say that one surprise for me was the total disappearance of Anthony Fontana. When we go back and look at the start of this thread, we were talking about Fontana stepping into the hole left by Brenden Aaronson. The opportunity was there. It didn't happen AT ALL. He only played ~350 minutes in MLS. Curtin skipped over him and went to the youngsters instead. Matthew Real disappeared too, although that was less of a surprise. He only played 145 minutes.

Let's be clear. FCD's 03s (Pepi and Che) got a hell of a lot more playing time than Philly's 03s this year. Fact.
    I suspect that FCD blew Philly out of the water in terms of homegrown minutes overall in 2021. Quietly, might have blown the league away. I'll be interested to see the final totals. Justin Che was the youngest player in the league to get 1000 minutes. Its just the perception on these boards is different because the results were different. It cost Luchi his job, and rightfully so. The reward for him was a job with the USMNT. Such is the USSF. Down the stretch FCD was starting 5 or 6 homegrowns in many games. I thought they might make a go at breaking the record with 7 just for the sake of giggles, but it didn't happen. They could have. Nobody was paying attention anyway.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't implying you were disparaging Philly. More like I won't be surprised if they keep there young players another year or two until they are ready. They just seem to get better buy in on that then any other team in the league.

3. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    Good thing they weren't because "The Best Academy in the MLS" was absolutely terrible all weekend:D

4. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Jack0503 and gogorath repped this.
  5. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    https://www.brotherlygame.com/2021/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Sources have indicated that game day rosters for league games — there are 24 slated for 2022 — will have a requirement of 13 players on paid contracts and that the maximum number of unsigned academy players permitted to be on the field at the same time will be five.

Also includes a positional breakdown of what players will be on the U2 roster and most likely to get playing time.

ogshortstufff repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Individual match results do not determine the level and success of an academy. An academy could struggle in matches but if they have the players who can move into the second and first team and maintain the overall level than it’s successful. Philly have the players in their academy to do this and being at this event in person, it only looks like San Jose are matching this currently in both the u15 and u17 age groups

Pegasus repped this.
  7. ogshortstufff

ogshortstufff Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Seems a little bit restrictive, IMO. If MLS wants to expand the domestic player pool to late bloomers and fringe prospects, why settle for so few unsigned players. Feels like they just want to make their own knock off version of USL rather than a U-23 league.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Fontana and Real will have to be signed to senior contracts, right? That will then open up two developmental roster slots for two new homegrowns.

Fontana and Real are good roster depth.

Davo was a weird player to take up an international roster slot with. Corinthians? How many youngsters are brought in from big clubs in Brazil that end up being "not good enough" for MLS. FCD has had a bunch of them on loan over the years. Success rate seems low.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

11. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    4th recent loss for the Union academy?
    Heard, Lacey, Bohui, and Lopez?

Its the same type of stuff that FCD has dealt with in previous years.
    100% retention is impossible.

Lopez, though, will be on his 4th MLS academy. Goin' for the record!!!
    I'm not totally convinced about his ceiling....................

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    On one hand, recognizing a misfit with your team's style and moving to a place more suited to you is a smart move.

On the other hand, if you have 3-4 misfits, it might be time to start wondering why you think everything is a misfit.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. When you have a deep academy you can't provide advancement for everybody. FCD and Philly have dealt with these defections.

At a different academy they would have perhaps tailored the style around a prospect as good as Lopez. Philly's not going to do that.

[Although, I tend to think the excuse of "he didn't fit our style" is an easy cover-up for something else. I personally have never been quite convinced by Lopez, but maybe that's just me.]

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    IMO none of those guys are real losses.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t see how any of them are actual misfits. Seems like they left for other reasons. Bohui was behind the other 03’s (McGlynn, Aaronson, Sorenson, probably even Pariano, Huckaby, Stafford, Budler) in getting a contract. He had early hype, and hadn’t panned out to this point.

Lacy got crowded out. Too much talent ahead of him. He’s a decent academy level player, but concerns have always been there about if he’ll have the talent to sign with an MLS club before having to go to college. I think those concerns remain at NYRB academy now.

Heard played an important role for their ‘05 age group as an ‘06 years back. I don’t know the exact reason he left, but is he better than a player like Luke Zielinski (same year and position)? Heard is not that good IMO. Probably a player they’d rather have in their academy than not have, but I don’t think he’d be on a HG path with them.

Lopez, the article doesn’t give a reason for now their styles didn’t match up. That may be a convenient public release of mutually parting ways. I know all don’t agree, but Lopez IMO was a very fringe prospect. I don’t see how he’s much loss for their academy. I don’t think he was on a HG path with them. They’d probably rather have him there than not, but he probably didn’t see the HG path with them.

gogorath repped this.
  17. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Philly academy seems to be teaching the - get the ball forward as quickly as possible and press immediately when you lose it- style of play. So I can see why a holding midfielder would become disenchanted.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    also why the republic of salzburg opening an embassy in philly

19. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. I'm totally with @ussoccer97531 on this. Academies become victims of their own success. We've seen that in other places.
    Other domestic academies, agents, USL clubs, European and Mexican clubs, etc. know where to go to poach good players. Its inevitable.

So there are fringe or rotation players (even USYNT caliber) that may be looking for bigger roles elsewhere. Places where they feel like they can maximize their potential more effectively

We should all be for some kind of controlled movement like this.

We dont' want the Wild West of key stars just moving and moving and moving. I think that just gets crazy. You don't have that in europe because those key youth players are under contract.

I would say that MLS clubs need to develop role players for the first team as much as the stars. The Victor Ulloa types. And if you're losing your squad players, its not like its meaningless. It does mean something. It particularly decreases the overall quality in your academy teams when you lose that depth.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Also good that there are a number of different styles being taught in U.S. Thought the earlier trend to everyone-plays-4-3-3 was pretty misguided.

22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    At the academy level, sure. Especially at this high level where players may have options.

But in earlier ages, I do think some control has been good. Not necessarily a 433 (though that's fine) but more about forcing people to develop skills instead of compensate.

Too many youth coaches hide players instead of develop them.

In terms of the YNT, I'm fine with a standard formation. Makes it easy, and there's never enough time to suddenly be flipping things around. A 433 is pretty common, so it's a good basis for a team with a week of practice.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    To be honest with you I watch alot of Philly Academy games online and tried to convince myself that because of their players individual talent and success at signing youth players that they are playing and teaching the game the right way, but the more I watch them I do not like what I am seeing in terms of teaching the game. I don't see a methodical, talented, possession buildup and player movement off the ball. I see a team that's ok with giving the ball up with low percentage passes, kicking the ball long too many times, impatient and somewhat frantic teams. Kick the ball forward run after the ball hard and press to win it close to goal then, quick one/2 passes to goal. Not really the way I want one of our countries top academies to be teaching and playing the game.

24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    On the flip side, I don't believe it's a bad thing if academies focus on different tactics. If every single team played the exact same game plan then players would be poorly prepared to adjust when facing a team with a different style and plan.

Philly dumping and chasing is good practice for opposing teams to learn how play effectively against that.

25. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I couldn't agree with you more. I've been watching that 2008 team for the past 4 years. It was sometime during their u12 year (2 years ago), when they won the Adidas Cup, they switched to a more direct and press style- and it was disappointing to say the least. I could be wrong but I believe it was when Kleberson took over the team. It reminds me of old school American soccer. Agreed, not all teams have to play the same system and style but this isn't going to develop players and they have such a nice pool of players to draw from now.

SUDano repped this.