The Philadelphia Union Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 21, 2021.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I do know about him more than you, but prefer to ask people who might have seen him alive recently. He always been expected to be #10, but that's not an easy position for 18 yo, so I was checking whether he mostly used there. He also has good chances to be better player than his brother. I liked him when he was a late bloomer 5'2" or something as 14-15 years old, after starting to watch that team on your hint about amazing Sullivan who was OK back then, and still is.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Basically the Union year is going as expected when you go with the kids.
    Lots to be excited about for the future, but they're not very good as a group right now. With a couple of other results this weekend, they could drop to 7th in the East. I was hoping that Philly would win that game last night. Soon they may enter "we need to just play the vets and get results" mode. Let's hope not. The 'ole FCD trap, which never goes well anyway.

Aaronson and McGlynn are 2003s. Same as lots of kids making a significant impact in the league. Yes, they're young and have lots of room to learn & grow. On the other hand its fine to critically analyze their performances and skill-sets. Ya know? Paxten Aaronson is only a couple months younger than Caden Clark. If you're gonna play, you need to have an impact. If not, the opportunities will go to somebody else. Philly has a pipeline of other youngsters coming and charging hard.

Quinn Sullivan looks to me like the odds on favorite to the title "first 2004 to be capped by the USMNT." Like the post above says, he just has that soccer IQ. You know it when you see it. [Of course, we haven't capped a 2003 yet. Pepi might take that title real soon.] Seems to me that Sullivan is going to be a key player on this 2023 U20 team. Of course that team is ridiculously deep in central midfielders, so who knows.

3. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    All three seem to have the potential to become great, and each time I’ve seen these three they haven’t shown to have a really poor game.

You can make the same argument for Clark and Cowell but these other two who looked like our top two MLS prospects months ago now look the same as the rest.

Philly and Dallas and to some extent, NYRB are leading the way this season with HG talent.

4. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    1437902859757051905 is not a valid tweet id

Complete with some nice player highlighting tools.

5. Jack0503

Jack0503 Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 24, 2018
    Andrew Craig and Cavan sullivan are the younger brothers of 1st team players Brandan Craig and Quinn Sullivan. Cavan is an 09 playing 2years up

JUnionFan, ussoccer97531 and bballshawn repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Craig doesn’t quite have the technical ability of Brandan and his timing defensively could be better but is a solid LCB prospect.

Cavan is special and Philly realistically need to offer him a contract in the next 2 years if they want to keep him from going to Germany. He deserves every bit of the hype he gets. Even in a German academy he would be the best talent among all age groups. I need everyone to offer a prayer, do a rain dance, make a sacrifice, or whatever you deem necessary to ensure that the soccer gods keep Cavan from getting injured

butters59, Jack0503 and JUnionFan repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Why would you throw that last line in about a 13 yr old. I think it goes without saying about all players, along with top players.

frankburgers repped this.
  8. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

10. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    The u15s beat Orlando 6-1 yesterday. I believe Cavan had 2 goals and an assist. A little difficult to tell when they play at Subaru Park with the camera so high. Just look for the smallest left footed player who is putting in a killer pass or slide tackle.

That's what I love about this kids game the most, how physical he is, along with all the skill and IQ. The way he wins/shields the ball while giving up so much size is just as impressive as his skills on the ball. The way he throws his body around is crazy, I can't tell if it's youthful recklessness or if he has a screw loose. I kinda think it's the latter but I hope he never changes that part of his game- it's Rooney-esque.

The first time I saw him play was about 2 years ago for Delco u13s. Game was tied or they were up 1-0 and he won a penalty kick. He puts the ball on the spot and instead of taking a shot he slides a pass to his teammate (may have been one of his brothers who were on that team with him), they mess it up and don't score. I can't believe the manager didn't yank him off the field for that stunt or at least yell at him. 5 mins later he scores on a beautiful chip shot- proceeds to dance his way back to the center circle- still can't believe the manager leaves him on.. Then he toys with the other team for the last 20 mins or so.. He was playing 2 years up on a DA team, so the competition was very good but he was still the best player on the field- and he knew it.

He's the kind of player who puts a smile on your face because you have no idea what he's going to do next- and he probably doesn't either.

11. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    1442866692439216129 is not a valid tweet id

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They haven’t handled his development well IMO. He’s barely played any competitive games the last two seasons. He’s been in and around the first team without making the squad too often. Could they not have found a loan destination at the start of the season for him?

13. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Doing this earlier is a good point and makes sense. But as for 2020, I recall even Tanner pointing out that it was basically a lost season for Turner and De Vreis, because of the pandemic rules regarding quarantine being too strict. Reading between the lines, I think the issues was that they wanted Turner to play often with U2 in 2020, but long quarantine times meant he would not be available for the first team on the bench, and we needed him there (even as the last man on it who had no chance of playing).

14. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Turner did play for Union II in their season, which ended in May.

MLS then has the upheaval of all the international breaks coupled with fixture congestion and perhaps they thought they would be short-staffed or Turner would be further along, but looking back loaning him out after the Union II season would have made the most sense.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    For Flach to score he needs great assists from both his partner and the keeper.

17. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sullivan's chip to himself was sweet.

18. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Some good homegrown action last night:

1447005056671363078 is not a valid tweet id

1447011160105103365 is not a valid tweet id

Some interesting quotes from Curtin after the game:

Also looking forward, I gotta assume Real and Fontana are leaving on a free after this season. Fontana did not get off the bench and while Real was a second half sub, I think that was more simply because our formation was not working and we needed Flach back in midfield rather than LWB.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Not youth eligible, but he basically is if we are measuring in goalkeeper years: Freese was really good the other night. I wonder if/when the Union plan to sell Blake and hand over the reigns. Interesting that there seems to have never been any rumors of Blake interest from abroad.

JUnionFan repped this.
  20. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I had forgotten about Fontana...he did have 5 goals to start the season, but got a concussion and missed 9 weeks not returning until the end of August...so it could be that is part of the issue. Maybe he will be back next year.

Real never really struck me as much of a prospect. You can always fill depth with HGP and his contract is relatively cheap, but seems like more of a USL talent. Maybe if he goes to a place where he can play day in and day out then he can work his way back up the ladder. He has only played 1000 minutes over the last 4 years...the bulk of them in 2020.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    U2 getting some playtime in a U18 tournament next week:

https://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/union-ii-to-compete-at-torneo-las-americas-elite-in-colombia

Flach's stats in our pressing system is impressive:

22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    With some injuries, there’s a chance all three teens start tomorrow.

Jack mcglynn is interesting. Not a great athlete, but he always looks composed. Sullivan is the best of the bunch for me, really think he’s in store for a breakout next year.

23. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think Paxton is but it's close, Mcglynn will always quietly be good,

frankburgers repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Report:

Sullivan - most talented, but green
    Aaronson - more mature performance on the road, is a little older
    Flach - still a relatively untalented try-hard, bloom's off the rose here

25. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    Offensively untalented sure but I think it's hard to ignore his defensive game. It's not like it takes no talent to be good defensively and lead the league in successful pressures. Harsh take IMO when we have someone like Acosta who plays USL level offense but is still the backup #6 on the NT purely based on defense.

But yeah it was an ugly game, bad conditions and no one played well. Freese made a good save in the second half and atleast looked calm in the conditions.

Harriel also had a few minute cameo to help see out the game as the a RW.