The PGMOL are VARy sorry.....again- The VAR Thread II [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #651 Samarkand, Jun 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
    I think it cannot be a coincidence that the longest-to-adjudicate and most contentious call to date (Holland’s non-goal) was with PL officials. Maybe it is just a coincidence, maybe it was a tough call, but I didn’t think so and thought the goal should have stood.

I can understand why you’d have same country crews working a game (language, primarily), but when you have this, those crews revert to what they’ve always known and it’s business as usual.

The Diaz Spurs goal should have been the impetus to rip up the VAR protocols and communication processes within the English game. In that they weren’t, it showed that very British attribute, to pigheadedly meander on, no matter how egregious and unfair the situation is and insist that it’s all good despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. But I wonder if this shambles, wherein the PL, was compared directly to their European compatriots and found entirely and hugely wanting, if this shambles might have more influence (i.e. a kick up the arse)?

speker repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #652 SamScouse, Jun 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
    nah. you can hear it now:

we invented the game - what do that lot know!??!

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    today's radical early-morning football thought ...

given that top-level players are increasingly getting antsy about the workload, and clubs and fans are getting tired of having to suffer / work around the after-effects ....

how about we completely ditch the current Euro/Copa type tournaments and replace them with tournaments showcasing the yoots?

eg U21s, U18s (with entry rules strictly based on age only, no exceptions to shoehorn in an older guy).

great experience / exposure for the lads and plenty of bragging rights for their nations. some good football of course.

meanwhile the senior guys could have a much-needed physical/mental break in the summer, or could show up at the tourney to add some glitz and lend support/advice to the young guns in a coaching-type capacity.

you're welcome, UEFA.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    above post now copied to correct thread - too late to delete it.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the Netherlands - France disallowed goal is the same problem we often have... it's a pretty reasonable interpretation of the rules. Any time you are in an offside position within the keepers eyeline/field of vision/whatever and a ball goes by you into the net... the rules are set up to disallow that goal.

It's just like attacking handball... there's basically a zero tolerance policy.

6. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well for zero tolerance it took the var 3-4 minutes to decide that it wasn't a goal which would seem to be a very long time for something so clear cut.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something doesn't have to be a quick, "clear cut" process for that ultimate binary decision to fairly described as "zero tolerance".

But I agree that sometimes (often?) these subjective VAR moments do take a long time. Too long.

8. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Apparently Dutch tv obtained audio of Taylor and VAR crew.

Binomial repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that is excellent. PGMOL don't pay attention to criticism, maybe mockery like this will make them look in the damn mirror.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Naaw. Don’t think that’d work.

The only thing that would work, in my opinion, would be some sort of external grading system, wherein the VAR officials have to be evaluated in an ongoing fashion and must score more than X to stay employed.

The nub here is the external people. Ensure that they are not in any way beholden to the PMGOL so they can have true independence.

speker repped this.
  11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've said repeatedly the only solution is non-UK officials.

I'll faint if it ever happened. The PGMOL old boys club would choke on their prawn cocktails at the mere mention.

speker repped this.
  13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, I dunno about Sam - but I mind it exactly the same amount.......

Its unbelievably annoying. Whatever modern conceptions have evolved about it - the point of offside was always simply to eradicate any advantage gained from playing or waiting for the ball behind the line of play. It wasn;t instituted for any other reason.

Based on that they should evaluate the rules to where the audience can actually have a hope of guessing this to be the case - which for me is to start measuring space between upper bodies. At that point the audience are primed for the sight of the thing, and more crucially, primed psychologically for an offside call they will be able to agree with as "might be gaining some relevant advantage".

But, no - the powers that be would rather continue this measuring of nose-hairs and in some cases in the premier league, distances the naked eye can't even see properly even with the help of a drawn line.
    What makes it even worse is that it is all predicated on a notional moment of when the ball left the foot - which (I believe) is not measured with the same exactitude that is measuring Lukaku's nipple position.....