The PGMOL are VARy sorry.....again- The VAR Thread II [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Samarkand, Oct 12, 2023.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL you just demonstrated how I am! I sincerely asked you a direct question, and you just basically called me an asshole.

I mean maybe I am an asshole but I'd still like to know what I've said that's factually incorrect, since that sort of thing is pretty important when it comes to any kind of conversation about laws and/or rules.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    As the only person here allowed to establish the truth and, indeed, the only teller of that truth, it is now an immutable truth that I called you an asshole, even though I did not. But the truth has been established, for ever and ever. Oh well…

usscouse repped this.
  3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You are missing the point which is that refs look at contact every game. Sometimes it's ruled a foul while other times it's judged not sufficient to impact the game so no call is made. For example we see a lot of holding in the box especially on corners much of which is never whistled and holding/grabbing a players shirt is a foul so why isn't it called every time?
    So similarly this apparent block by Endo, is
    it a foul according to the laws yes just as holding .grabbing a shirt is . However if a ref has the power to ignore holding /grabbing in the box if he feels it's not enough to impact the play he could also do that with this 'block' incident if it's not impacting the play. And when looking at this with his years of experience Shearer is saying Colwill though being blocked was never getting to Virgil therefore Endo's action had no impact on the play.

Once again a law is a law but how those laws are interpreted is by a ref and if VAR is looking for a reason to chalk off a goal he can usually find one .

usscouse repped this.
  4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I remember watching some NFL chat show thing on ESPN once. Round table of player, rules official, journo, etc. All of them agreed without any hesitation that on every play the refs could throw a flag.

There’s enough on every single scrimmage that someone somewhere is doing something illegal. But if they were to call everything, you’d have a hard time getting to 4th down on the first series of plays.

owian and speker repped this.
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree VAR shouldn't rule on every time someone does something illegal. It doesn't currently do anything close to that.

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK let's put aside this debate for a few minutes. Why don't we ask a better question which is why Konate getting karate kicked in the head did not result in a foul in a red card?

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno if it's a red but for sure is a foul... like one of the easiest most obvious fouls you'll ever see.

Didn't they get the ball after the restart? Was it not a called foul?

8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why not?

9. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always get the impression he writes these things “three sheets to the wind”. I’ve given up reading them…

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Several of the chapters in his books are.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #311 EruditeHobo, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Let me correct myself... I suppose it's possible.
    And obviously, since we all watched it happen, it's possible for VAR to:

1. not be told they are checking for whether a goal was ruled off or onside on the pitch
    2. check said goal against the wrong on-field decision
    3. tell the ref "check complete", after checking it incorrectly
    4. be hugely responsible for ruling out a good goal because of horrendous communication

In that way, both your center-circle infringement example and the Luis Diaz "offside" goal are possible, in that a huge error and/or near-baseless interpretations of the LOTG might allow them to occur. But neither of those calls would be the result of a reasonable interpretations of the rules required to rule those goals out. Which makes them unique from the Endo offside incident.

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also glad we didn't need to test VAR on the Kelleher save on Elanga in the first half.

It looked off to the naked eye - but I did not ever see a flag go up at any point - so it may have come down to millimeter based lines.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a great save. Kelleher has been amazing the past few years.

14. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But a key thing is they don't use Instant Replay to go back and assess holding calls. So even if the yellow flag flies on a ticky tack holding call it's being done before the ref knows the result of the play.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The offside law should be binned completely.
    The way Arsenal use shields/picks from offside players on free kicks, to the use of Endo, to players who are clearly offside but not 'involved' then getting involved only because they were illegally in the first place just screams farce.
    Every Arsenal free kick should be called back for offside if one player is off. It's impossible for a defender or referee to know which player will ultimately be in a legal position and impossible to decipher if an offside player amongst a group of 12 is interfering or not.
    This goes for Endo as well - when players are all in a compact space where a ball is going to clearly be delivered and one is off like Endo, flag should be going up. Same for the united call - never should be a goal.

owian repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The whole thing about the VAR refs reviewing the Endo blocking call is that to make that particular call they have to defy the very obvious concept that if Endo had earlier stepped that fraction back onside to get to do his block, he would have been increasing his chance of making this "so called infringement", the same infringement that would in all likelihood never have been called as an infringement without the (unaffecting to all this) offside.
    That, folks, is a paradox of idiocy, where the rule-book of common sense should intervene over the written imbroglio.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Refs referee calls in real time using (often) an application of their sensibility to the need of the game in the moment.
    For example they don;t book people for little fouls but occasionally book people for the nth of a series of continuous non-serious fouls.
    This is not a written rule, as such. Yet it is fine for refs to implement as they see fit. No-one asks for their sacking or for consistency here.

The problem begins with adding additional areas for c@p type scrutiny and punishment, such as when the player kicks a ball away. Here, the directive seems to be "no leeway, Jose".

Transpose these two views to most iffy subjective (as to mattering to the actual play) VAR recalls on goals, and what we tend to see is an over-eagerness to pursue the scrutiny using the principle of the latter of my two above examples of refereeing.
    Whereas, the common-sense practicality of not ruling in favour of any minor infraction that can be found (UNLESS you think it actually had a retrograde effect) is what they should be doing.

This, irrespective of the ability of some idiot to find some arcane or zany interpretation of the rule, for nothing other than the sake of the rule, which as we know from my example above is bent in every single game that takes place, for the sake of the game.

usscouse repped this.
  18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    as has been said ad nauseum here and elsewhere -
    Var does not report possible infringements to the ref when goals are scored from corners - surely 30% of the time. They CHOOSE not to.
    That is all that reasonable people are suggesting they do in instances where there isn't anything out of the ordinary run of the mill to look at....
    Endo's being offside by a fraction here affects nothing. The only thing it affected was his (Endo's move), by making him take fractionally longer to block the run of the guy he chose to block.

It's frankly inane to argue that this should disallow a goal, when actually holding people from jumping for a ball they might divert usually doesn't on other set plays

usscouse and speker repped this.
  19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wrestling to the ground, Good.
    Standing in someone’s way, Bad.

It used to be fine when as a keeper on corners I had two big guys block me. Now they go through videos with fine tooth combs to look for any excuse.

speker repped this.
  20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting comparison to Robbo-Toney... along with the big swing in the panel. Expect to see similar thing here, panel saying "we expect this to be a pen".

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...pool-denied-late-penalty-vs-man-city?_nocache

21. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The VAR could have simply asked the ref to have a second look on the monitor just as they did in the final vs Chelsea.

22. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, but how embarrassing would that have been for the on-field ref? :rolleyes:

zaqualung, soccershaggy and speker repped this.
  23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    There’s a decent chance he might have refused to buy his mate a cup of tea on the train home, he’d have been so upset, and then where would we be?

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really depends on what the ref saw of the challenge... VAR isn't allowed/permitted within the rules to ask for a review of whatever they want because it looks more like a foul to them than the ref. That's not how VAR works.

Maybe that would be an improvement, if done that way? But then we'd have fans upset at the many more on-field monitor reviews that were happening. And some incidents still wouldn't get reviewed... so those probably draw some fans' ire as well.

Damned if do, damned if don't.

25. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So we've had Diaz disallowed goal vs Spurs , Odegaard handball vs Arsenal , and now Doku drop kick to Mac's chest vs City in the league. That's a fair few possible extra points had those decisions gone our way.