The Petke Situation

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Sep 17, 2019.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's exactly as nasty as I expected it would be. Nobody who watched his press conferences would imagine he'd take this passively.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a mess...

Are we just doomed as long as DLH is our owner?

4. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Two parts that stand out to me. The first is that the team had Petke sign an amendment to his contract stipulating that he would return after serving his suspension. The second is the dismissal for cause, "Although the agreement expressly stipulates that future infractions could result in Petke’s immediate dismissal for cause..". Now would sponsors pulling their sponsorship qualify as "cause". I guess that's for the lawyers to determine. I'm guessing Petke is going to walk away with something.

RSLer repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 15 to 32, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    His timing (ironically enough) is calculated, as well. Hell, I'm shocked his lawyers didn't file this on the day of the LA home game where they're honoring the 2009 team.

Also, if someone can find a link to the actual filed complaint, please provide it. I can't find a link - it could very well be a work blocked site

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, without him we don't have a team in SLC probably...
    but, yeah, this is some of the baggage you get with him. The public statements at the Royals game are going to end up costing him money, at the very least. Maybe he'll learn to not be stupidly candid.

probably not

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  7. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting points to me where RSL might have an upper hand
    32. "Section 3.01(F) of the2017 Contract allows RSL to fire Petke for his “commission of any action or involvement in anyoccurrence that brings Club or Employee into public disrepute, scandal or ridicule, or reflects ina materially adverse manner on the integrity or reputation of the Club or the Owner, including,without limitation, dishonest, fraudulent, unethical or inappropriate conduct."
    47. The whole way Petke sees this incident doesn't match up with what I saw on video. He is visibly coming after the referee and says multiple things before getting the red card.

AAAANNNNDDD then I read the rest. RSL does not look great through the rest...

Also sounds like Waibel is gone at the end of the season as well

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  9. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does not seem like Petke has a strong case.

Could depend on the significance of that paper that Petke signed after the end of his 2-week suspension. It seems not normal to me that that paper would mean that RSL would then be legally bound to not be able to change its mind as to the significance of the incident.

Maybe Petke deserves 2 weeks of wages, because perhaps he was misled in agreeing to participate in the 2-week suspension. 2-weeks worth of wages is a lot less than 2 year's salary.

10. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading the "July 2019" contract, I think they are taking a lot of liberties in saying he would be able to come back.
    There was no amending the Section 3.01(F)
    I don't know how you prove that he didn't violate that clause.
    To me it looks like he signed an addendum spelling out his punishment, but if the organization still deems his conduct a detriment to the team, whether past or future, they still can fire him.

If it does go to trial, I think it will all come down to whether a jury thinks "p***" is a homophobic slur that in fact hurts the integrity or reputation of RSL...

Fun times

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I know I mentioned in another thread from my "source" at RSL that Waibel was not happy and was looking to get fired and was not going to take the hush money to keep quiet about what a douche Dear Leader is to people.

[​IMG]

RSL Nation posted this in Twitter today. I wonder if Waibel makes it to the end of the year.

I think my "source" was pretty accurate.

Also, I don't really care that Dear Leader is probably a douche nozzle because I think he has done a great deal to improve RSL in many ways and as 15 pointed out RSL probably isn't even in Salt Lake without him.

My hope is that my trust in him becoming a better owner over time is not misplaced.

We shall see.

12. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I wonder if he's a douche in general or if he's a douche towards Waibel and Petke because they're underperforming.

Allez RSL, russ and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How accurate do we believe the description of Weible and Zarkos leaving? What are some of the situations or dumpster fires they have to deal with?

Allez RSL and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the way that FIFA has tried to stamp out the word's usage at soccer games, I think that a coach dropping the "p-bomb" (as opposed to the "f-bomb") all over the pitch could be easily proven to hurt the integrity of RSL and MLS.

From what I read, it's all standard lawsuit fare, but the big bombshell was that it looks like the "Fire Waibel" crowd will be jumping for joy. Since it looks like Garth has worn out his welcome in Seattle, maybe DLH can entice him to come back to RSL. You know, a big bouquet of flowers saying "We're really, really, sorry". Or maybe a puppy.

[​IMG]

UofRSL repped this.
  15. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douche nozzle is in the eye of the beholder.

I've seen both sides of enough work drama to know that few things are ever simple enough that you can summarize by saying "He's a douche."

Allez RSL, UofRSL, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.
  16. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall before this Petke was an ass kisser of DH. He was always praising how amazing an organization RSL is and amazing owner. Did he believe that or was he doing that our of survival and ti be on good terms.

DH has been good for stability, infrastructure, and revenue/profit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the sports management side has suffered with Checkets leaving. DH really needs a strong president to handle that side of the club for him.

acima repped this.
  17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    DeLoy has a long and storied reputation of being a douche.

In fact, I find it very difficult to believe that anyone can become a billionaire without being a complete prick in some aspects.

My wife's family is from Cache Valley. The valley would like to disown the man.

Allez RSL, acima, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to disagree/invalidate. I'm just grateful for what he's done for our soccer community, and I reserve judgment since I don't know him myself. [emoji4]

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dell Loy was Dell Loy last year too, when Waibel sought and got an extension. What is he, GOB Bluth getting back with Marta?

Allez RSL, acima, jessyca and 5 others repped this.
  20. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    #20 kirsoccer, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    It is alarming to me that RSL fans still defend DLH. Maybe it's because I have met him, interacted with him, interviewed him, and watched players and media interact with him. I watched him make an ass of himself in Monterrey attempting to speak to Mexican media in Spanish.

However, it has always been clear to me that he's an asshole and an idiot when it comes to he game of soccer.

There are so many issues of bungling around this issue that all lead back to DLH and at the top of the list was the very ill-advised fan interaction about firing Petke that many of us pointed out as problematic at the time. I am baffled at how fans continue to support and at times idolize DLH, despite all of the unsavory details. And if someone else mentions another time about how his money saved RSL, I may go ballistic. There are MANY people responsible for RSL still residing in Utah, and yes DLH is one of them. But giving him credit solely based on his money and willingness to spend is akin to endorsing Mansanto for all they've done for the farming industry.

Let's be clear, Petke created the initial issue here, and should be held responsible, but DLH's actions throughout this are appalling. His list of faux paux's is extensive (even if you only accept half of them): driving Lagerway out, driving Kreis out, driving Manning out, hiring Cassar, returning Olave to the club, returning Yura to the club, the Morales debacle, promoting Petke to coach, promoting Waibel - twice, resigning Waibel, and alas, the Petke firing. This complaint should create clarity about the organizational dysfunction that permeates the club, and has for an extended period of time. Just ask Trey about it.

Oh yeah, and Waibel is soooooo fired.

but then again, its Tues night - I'm in a hotel room, can't sleep, and a bit drunk...so I could be wrong about all of this.

21. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your viewpoint, Drunk KIR. You certainly have better clarity than most of us because of your past interactions with the team.

Ismitje repped this.
  22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first part of your post is the basis of Petke’s legal defense. I will compare the MLS and the ESL actions to shed light:
    1) MLS suspended AND conducted an investigation.
    2) RSL’s HR action was simply to suspend. They could have suspended AND conducted an investigation which led to termination. They didn’t. They simply suspended. To make it clear that the HR action ended with that, they amended the clause to say he would continue as coach following the suspension.

Basically, RSL painted themselves into a corner. They had no intention to terminate until sponsors started calling. Their original HR action meted out a punishment which satisfied the contract. The second HR action violated it. If Petke can demonstrate that RSL showed support for his earlier incidents, then he has an even stronger case. My guess is that he can.

SpiffCoug repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s always been an ass. I posted this both when Uncle Dave first brought him as a partner and later when DLH took over. I expressed gratitude for his investment, but warned this might not end well. He’s a bully at heart and most people are afraid to go public with things.

russ, goobx1 and rslfanboy repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean this in snark: can you please tell me/us who is also responsible for RSL still being in Salt Lake and not St Louis? I am not naive enough to believe DLH was a savior in this respect, but also someone had to pay the bills and I don't know of a whole lot of investors that would have come in and kept RSL in Salt Lake, as opposed to a bigger metro. And not only that, but then put in an infrastructure to cultivate soccer talent among the best in the nation.

Also, what was the problem with bringing Olave back into the picture?

acima and Todorojo repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I’m super grateful for Dell Loy has done for RSL.

And I’m pretty sure he’s a douche. I’ve met him a couple times and both times he said some douchie rich guy things.

I also don’t want him sell RSL but to figure out how to be as successful with RSL as he is in business.

Douche or not.

acima and Lizzie Bee repped this.