The Pessimism Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ratdog, Mar 3, 2013.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*

Might as well get this bad boy rolling. At the very least, it will give Clenbuterol a home.

We sucked today at almost every position except maybe goalkeeper and I'm sure someone will be here to say how bad Johnson sucked.

If we play as poorly this coming Sunday as we did today, it will be time to hit the panic button.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, the panic button should have been hit after watching ourselves fall down to the play in game with Houston and the sad result of that game.

But hit the button or not, nothing will change. Ownership will continue not to care, Frank will continue to get outcoached, often by himself, Rolfe will miss 10 games due to injury, we might finish 4th or 5th, with a lot of luck, and then right out of the playoffs again, with shitty draft position and a bunch of players signed to long term contracts we can't get rid of

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    A fine effort by you in only the second post of the thread. ;)

4. Mr. Warmth is pure class. If our mods weren't busy sucking balls (with as much skill as the Fire played with today) they would have the sense to close this thread NOW!!!!

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    We could do an optimism thread and talk about how we are only two points out of the Supporter's Shield spot.

cweimers and bunge repped this.
  6. ChopChop13

ChopChop13 Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum here. I've been following soccer for awhile now (mainly EPL/Champions League), however I am new to the MLS. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and went to my first Fire game last year (the playoff game against Houston). I was obviously disappointed with that result, but was definitely excited by the atmosphere and decided to purchase Section 8 season tickets with my girl friend for this season. I've been doing some research on the squad and was semi-optimistic heading into today's game. After looking at power rankings and some predictions for the season it looked as though the Fire would be a fringe team with the potential upside for a playoff run.

Here are my thoughts after watching the game today. Perhaps we looked as bad as we did because we were facing the defending champs on their field on opening day. Maybe some of you could weigh in on that factor. The team generally seemed slow and unable to move the ball up the pitch with any purpose. Slow teams do not necessarily need to be poor, however they simply needed to rely on elevating the quality of their passing. That wasn't the case though. The midfield struggled to string together a few passes and would quickly give up the ball to the Galaxy. Lindpere looked extremely slow although he made some good crosses. Duka made a nice turn and run into the box, but other than that he was just pushed off the ball far to easily. Maicon and Rolfe really needed to finish their chances, and I'm sure the result of the match would have been drastically different if they had converted.

What worried me the most about this game is the fact that the team just doesn't look like a fun side to watch. I've made a conscious decision to start watching the MLS and I enjoyed all the games I watched yesterday. I just watched the last 30 minutes of the Portland-New York game and I was extremely impressed with Portland. For a team that didn't make the playoffs last year, they were incredibly fun to watch. They're quick and acrobatic. It was a great game of soccer. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm so new to the MLS and watching the Fire, but there seems to be a lack of quality and desire from what I've seen. That's the end of this post. Maybe some of you could respond to some of my thoughts and help me get to know the team better. Thanks in advance, and maybe I'll see some of you at the games!

goldclover repped this.
  7. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome aboard. I noticed the same thing as you. From a neutral fan's perspective the NY-POR game was fantastic. Lot of positive and creative play, especially in the final 20 minutes. We didn't really get any of that in our game (and frankly, haven't for awhile). I've always thought LA are kind of a boring team as well, which I chalk up to Bruce Arena.

To inject a little optimism where it may not belong, we can only go up from here!

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contract the Bridgeview Fire!

10. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I knew your earlier post was total BS. I printed your positive crappola post and tested it.

FAIL
    [​IMG]

Now the message board is back on track and we are officially ready to present to the fine members of Big Soccer, THE official 2013 Chicago Fire season.

Thanks man.

11. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the 2012 Galaxy started last year 3-2-8 and they went on to...

Ah, ******** it. Who am I kidding? One game in and our season is already over. We'll get bounced from the USOC by a girl's U-8 team and go 0-32 before fans burn down Toyota Park (which was in the process of being repo'd anyway) after we lose 0-16 to Dallas as Hauptman hovers above us in a helicopter pelting us with bags of Ruiz's urine, thus ending our season prematurely.

And now for a pictorial representation of our current status if the Fire was planet earth:

[​IMG]

GHjelm, Rulas and loonixxx repped this.
  12. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GHjelm, burningfire and ratdog repped this.
  13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    You nitwit. The season was over BEFORE IT BEGAN. Where have you been?

burningfire, Fussballer and ratdog repped this.
  14. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are we gonna have to shovel snow off the field Saturday or does Bridgeview have a Zamboni machine? Not feeling very optimistic....

[​IMG]

15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yellow or orange ball....

16. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Orange.

The yellow will get lost every time it tracks a part of the field that Sparky has visited.

17. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    It's not 2011 ! and no Carlos de Los Cobos is not coaching the team!

18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think I would characterize myself as a pessimist. I just know what to expect from a poorly coached team.

Losing to a well coached team usually happens.

It is going to be a long season as long as Klopas is our manager.

19. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Can't be too hard on Frankie he did fix the team a bit after de Los Cobos ruined it, after all we did make the playoffs last year. Maybe I'm giving Frank too much credit or maybe I just don't another coach coming in and give his " regrouping ,reconstruction " speech that will probably take 2 seasons to finish....

20. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    What part if the season opener was poor coaching? Was it Arne's injury or Pause's injury?

21. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, no,. we didn't. We made the post-season, but not the play-offs. We lost the match for the final spot.

22. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What a strange attempt to try to split hairs. You are wrong, though. MLS classifies the first games as "Wild Card" playoff matches. 10 teams make the playoffs, with 6 getting first round byes.

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will say that the "Pessimism Thread" (aka "Devouring Our Own") if off to a rollicking start.

Chris M. repped this.
  24. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pass me whatever it is you're smoking, you stupid *******. And your mother ******* with a ***** in her *********.

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks.

"I came here for a good argument"
    "Well, this is abuse... You want room 12A next door"

SixKick, loonixxx and Chris M. repped this.