The perfect Match Day experience...

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by GWGunner, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ
    damn seriously that early? It takes me about 1hr 30 or 2 hrs to get there, so that may be a but unreasonable

2. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Sorta kinda didn't realise the Tavern doesn't open until 12 :p

3. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We spent a few hours at the Tower of London....got out just about sunset and the bridge is just awesome at night......I highly recommend it! :D

4. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was quite romantic. Too bad our regular life hubby and wife were there to spoil it for us!:p

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Tate Modern is a fun museum, if you like modern art. and it is free!

6. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    If you have a day to kill, head over to Soccernet.com and check the schedules for the lower divisions. Chances are you can see a game at QPR, West Ham, Millwall, Palace, Charlton, Fulham, Leyton Orient, Brentford, or some other team in London (I guess there are some others). Make it a full weekend of sport.

If you can't handle that, and are looking for some free things, I second the recommendation of the walk along the river (night is better). The London Eye is kind of neat too, though most don't admit they like it. Portabello Road in Notting Hill is a good market to poke around.

Or you can do a day trip on the train to Cambridge or the Oxford Tube up to Oxford. Only about an hour away and you can easily walk around for a few hours up there and kill some time.

7. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I always check fixtures365.co.uk It has updated fixtures listed for all the divisions, from Premier League down to the conference, and includes all cups, friendlies, and internationals.

8. The Iglooman

The Iglooman New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Alaska
    Ok guys. I am going to be at the match this Saturday with Birmingham City. I leave for London tonight (Alaska tonight). What kind of attire to people usually go for during the match? I AM wearing my Bergkamp Jersey from '98 but I noticed that in the winter months people aren't as flamboyent with wearing their Arsenal gear as they would be in the warmer months. Would anything more than a jersey be over done? I don't want to look conspicuous. :) lol

BTW, I am not that self conscious, I just don't know. Going to a sporting events here sometimes people end up looking like someone else because of everything they wear in support of their team.

Thanks,

Andrew

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People still wear their jerseys, they just have big black wool coats on over them, along with Arsenal scarves. It's chilly outside. You do have a warm coat to bring, don't ya? ;)

10. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You're from Alaska. All you need are some shorts and sandals for London!:p

11. The Iglooman

The Iglooman New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Alaska
    What's a coat?

:D

I have multiple coats depending on how cold it is. I don't think I'll bring the one that's still warm down to -45 C. My lighter one is probably going to work.

12. Skizz

Skizz Guest

[​IMG]

THAT is Arsenal fashion. Gooner top over a jumper with a beer. :)

13. Kev_England

Kev_England New Member

May 26, 2006
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who are these ugly bastards? :D

14. Kev_England

Kev_England New Member

May 26, 2006
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Serious question this time:

Its not more than an hour is it from Victoria up to Arsenal tube stop is it? (I was gonna change at Green park for Pickadilly line). Cheers.

15. Skizz

Skizz Guest

You're lucky that the tube is now stopping at Victoria, all over Christmas it wasn't stopping so you had to get a bus to Pimlico or Green Park and get the tube from there. It takes about 25 minutes from Victoria to Finsbury Park, then 5 mins to Arsenal. I do that journey for every home game :)

Advice though - get the vic to Finsbury Park then go back one stop to Arsenal. The Victoria line is tons faster and that way your journey is

Victoria --> Green Park --> Warren Street --> Euston --> Kings Cross --> Highbury & Islington --> Finsbury Park (CHANGE) --> Arsenal

Instead of

Victoria --> Green Park (CHANGE) --> Piccadilly Circus --> Leicester Square --> Covent Garden --> Holborn --> Russell Square --> Kings Cross --> Caledonian Road --> Holloway Road --> Arsenal

16. Kev_England

Kev_England New Member

May 26, 2006
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Great tip. Thanks very much mate for takeing time to spell that out.

BTW: If you start off at Victoria on match day, does that mean you live closer to Chelsea than Arsenal? Shouldnt you be wearing blue? :D:D

17. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I used to live in Archway as a lil'un, then I moved to Russell Square, and now I've moved to Kent. I was near Emirates in my formative years :p

And in technicality my nearest clubs where I live now are Charlton and Palace. Chelsea would be heading out of Waterloo :p

18. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Dave these days? I miss that clown.

19. Skizz

Skizz Guest

He's just been proper busy with his job up in Ipswich and that. It takes all his concentration to deal with all the people who are living a country bumpkin life up there, as he says!

20. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I always saw loads more Arsenal fans on the trains out of Waterloo back towards Egham every weekend. Though every now and them a little Chavski showed up. And they were always wearing their traffic cop strip. Pretty hideous.

21. jeremy.watson

jeremy.watson New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but am enjoying reading up on things I've missed. I'll be heading over to London for the first time and seeing my first live Gunners match on March 15 vs Boro. there is some good stuff in this thread, so keep it coming :).

Will anyone else be going to that match? If so, I look forward to having a few pints with you.

22. Skizz

Skizz Guest

That was horrible after the Sp*rs game. I was pissed out of my face and got to the station to see two of them in their cyclists kit. The reflection almost blinded me. When you're drunk, natural light is bad enough. When it's something like that, it's like looking directly at an eclipse. I did scream.

23. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, everything that's been written in this thread is a load of old bollocks. Everyone knows that THE perfect match day experience depends on the kickoff time:

Weeknight edition is as follows:

1) Pre-game pizza @ Rick's flat
    2) Meet all "the Yanks" @ Arsenal World of Sport at Finsbury Park
    3) Head down the Tavern for multiple pints
    4) GAME
    5) Back down to the Tavern for pints

Early kickoff:
    1) Wake up to strains of some god-awful Barry Manilow song.
    2) Meet all "the Yanks" @ Arsenal World of Sport at Finsbury Park
    3) Fry up on Blackstock Rd
    4) Pints @ the Tavern
    5) GAME
    6) Pints @ the Tavern
    7) Chinese or Curry take-away for dinner

Late kickoff:
    1) Meet all "the Yanks" @ Arsenal World of Sport at Finsbury Park
    2) Pints @ the Tavern
    3) GAME
    5) Pints @ the Tavern
    5) Fall asleep @ the Tavern
    6) Have people take pictures while you're asleep
    7) Have Rick wake you up to tell you it's time to go
    8) Chinese or Curry take-away for dinner

:D

24. Kev_England

Kev_England New Member

May 26, 2006
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "1) Meet all "the Yanks" @ Arsenal World of Sport at Finsbury Park"

Why dont you meet the yanks in the Tavern or do you need to buy new gear every game you go to?:)

25. nheslip

nheslip New Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Denver
    I agree. This thread is really helpful as I'm going to my first match away at Fulham next week. Appreciate the advice, keep it up!