Review: The Penalty Non-Call (Edu)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Mar 27, 2013.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Does Cameron get an honorable mention?

Germerica repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Ref is right there looking at the play. It is up to his discretion and I believe he felt the Mexican player was exaggerating a bit.
    Glad he did not want to be a protagonist in the match but Totoro is right. It could have been called a penalty.

3. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Wish there was a gif of the play. But whoever posted that his foot hit Edu's knee on the back swing is spot on. (I had to watch the UniMas broadcast last night, and they showed this very clearly). When his foot comes back through, it had been bumped down because of the contact, and he kicks the ground - very hard.

But although there was contact, is that Edu's fault? Edu's running behind him, and his foot makes this huge back swing and catches Edu. Edu did not try to make contact. If anything Aquino's actions caused him to fall. I don't see how Edu has to be "clear" of him so he can make a clear shot.

Bajoro and jackiesdad repped this.
  4. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    This is pretty much it for me. They were good calls both I think (thanks replay) but that doesn't change the fact that they were also both stupid plays, because those get called in away wcq games. Compared to Berhalter's hand in his forehead...yeah. We were really lucky with the fairness and the balls of the ref to not call those, especially with the linesman already having signaled the call on Bradley's.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It was a much closer call than I originally thought.

ImaPuppy, raza_rebel and Etienne_72772 repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nice work by the OP.

Bottom line as I posted in another thread, whether it's this play, or the Michael Bradley shove earlier, or Herc getting rugby tackled in the Jamaica match, or Dempsey getting hacked down in the Costa Rica match...

...referees are not calling penalties. Defenders are better off taking the aggressive route rather than playing it safe. Playing it safe gets a defender posterized from a bicycle into the net as at Costa Rica. That penalty against Gooch in '06 doesn't get called today.

Referees are quick to call stuff outside box however.

The slo mo caps are really besides the point.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Credit to the Univision telecast they watched and instantly realized it was not a penalty and not a corner. The US camp was claiming penalty.

Excellent call. The ref was perfectly positioned and never hesitated.

It was Juan in a million for sure.

ImaPuppy and Statman repped this.
  8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

What makes this a foul is when Edu's left leg comes across and takes out Aquino's right supporting leg. Before that, there is no foul. Aquino's foot hits the ground and then the ball. Goal kick, right? But then Edu takes out Aquino's right leg from behind. This is certainly a foul. It doesn't matter that this foul had no effect on the outcome of the play. It's a foul nonetheless. That is the way the rule is supposed to be applied. The referee's job is to determine if a foul has occurred. This would be called a foul if done in midfield. Therefore, it is a foul everywhere on the field.

Now given that it is a foul, what kind of foul is this? It's one that warrants a direct free kick. And any direct free kick in the penalty area is a penalty kick. This was a boneheaded play on Edu's part.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • jumps at an opponent
    • charges an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    • pushes an opponent
    • tackles an opponent
    A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent
    • spits at an opponent
    • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
    A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick).
    Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

I'm absolutely thrilled that the referee didn't call it, don't get me wrong. We really deserved the draw. It would have been a terrible waste of our great effort if this play had cost us a point.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Or Honduras. :p

10. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to think this is the right point. He was fouled after the ball was gone.

I'm going to go over to the official's thread to see what they have to say, but the reality is that these tend to be called penalties about half the time -- much more in domestic league play and much less in international play. Handling is the same. In international play, more often than not, the referee it seems to me asks whether or not there was a significant advantage lost before calling a foul in the box. We sort of saw the same thing in the Costa Rica game -- Dempsey's back to goal, contact after the ball was gone, seems like a foul but did it deprive a realistic chance to go for goal? Probably moreso in the Costa Rica game than in the Mexico game. I didn't really understand the commentary by Darke and Twillman -- I think they were being influenced by the shout for the Hernandez penalty earlier in the game. When I saw the play, I thought we were lucky to escape but it's certainly the type of play I've seen refs take a pass on in international competition before.

Not relevant anyway -- Guzan would have made the save. :0)

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who are saying the shot off before the contact happened, didn't we just have a penalty in Colorado-LA awarded for something that happened off the ball?

This could have been called a penalty and it would be difficult to argue with it. Even with Aquino's shot fired before Edu's wrap around tackle. We dodged a bullet. I'm not going to quibble with the ref though :D

My guess is the ref probably the thought the irregular trajectory of the shot was from Edu getting a piece of it rather than Aquino kicking the ground first.

owian and jamtime repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Referees increasingly only call the most blatant stuff.

13. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    my opinion, the ref saw the shank and didn't award the penalty because of it. However, it was a foul, and the sporting thing to do, if you will, is to award the ball to the team that was fouled. Hence the corner kick. You see this in every level of soccer in "head-scratch" throw-ins where the ball obviously came off of one player, but because he was fouled, a throw in is awarded because it was only a small foul and the throw-in is a just reward over a free kick from a dangerous position.

It is one of the intricacies of good officiating. Knowing when a foul merits a simple awarding of the ball as opposed to a dangerous free kick.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is a close call. It could have gone either way. However, it's very much according to the opinion of the ref. I believe that the ref went with no call because his view was more of Aquino's kick and because he believed that Edu made contact with the ball. Did he get it right? Not sure.

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Based on the slow motion view we have and the position of the referee I am going to assume the ref thought the act of the Mexican attacker hitting the ground first (flubbing the shot) actually caused him to go air born, at which point you can assume the contact by Edu was incidental. Last night I thought it was definite foul. After reviewing the breakdown, Edu did not barrell into to him as I thought and frankly you can make a case either way whether contact on the supporting leg was the cause of the fall or a result of the Mexican player falling from hitting the ground. It certainly doesn't help Mexico's cause that the player went down clutching the OTHER leg.

Bajoro repped this.
  16. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    For me the question is if the foul was made before or after the ball was in the field of play. If the ball was out of play when he took out the second leg, there is no penalty kick.

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Live I thought Edu held up his challenge and that combined with his ostentatious, "look at my hands I'm not grabbing him", move influenced the ref. Generally I come down on the side of allowing more sporting contact, meaning that because Edu did not recklessly or violently come through the player after the ball was gone there was no foul. If Edu had shown his studs that would have changed the equation but instead he showed commendable restraint for the situation at hand.

18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 80's one often observed a lot more of the defensive player making a play on the ball from behind. It was exciting to watch because often a faster, often taller and longer player could sweep in and make a play on the ball, sometimes waste the attacker, often without him even seeing it coming. The rules or maybe it was the perspective or interpretation changed in the late 80's to protect the attacker. Tackles once considered great were now considered fouls. Things have changed so dramatically that one rarely even has the occasion to see someone making a defensive play from behind.

When I first saw it, like many others, I went OMG, what was Edu thinking? It looked like a clear penalty. Anyway following all of the discussion and review, I can see why the referee did not call it.

The United States, for years, had calls (or in this case no-calls) go against us. Very unusual stuff indeed. It is good these days to be receiving the benefit of some of the pendulum swing.

Props to the Guatemalan referee, Walter Lopez, for making what he believed was the appropriate call rather than making the "easy" call or the one that the crowd might have wanted.

Statman repped this.
  19. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right, i feel much better now,Aquino kicks the ground takes his shot before Edu makes contact with him

20. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    I think there is something called "if in the opinion of the referree the following law has been infringed". That is where you start and finish; sometimes unfortunately.

BTW: why did Omar leave his feet on the play? In the box no less ...

21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part of the Laws of the Game are you using to justify this statement?

22. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading all that i belive the ref did not belive Edu had intended to be reckless, players colide on the field all the time, ball was gone by the time the incident happend.

23. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Video makes clear that Mexico didn't deserve the penalty. The ball was gone. Ref only calls that a penalty 10% of the time if he sees the play clearly. Time to move on.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Page 3:
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Has to be in play. But that said, whatever happened, it's pretty clear the ball was still in play when it did.

You didn't say which infringement Edu's action constituted, but I assume it was tripping. But the term 'tripping' usually means you have to be the main reason they fell, and I'm not seeing that here, though one could go back and forth on it.

25. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States