The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just looking through the other teams today and the game last night and here is how many English qualified players are starting or started. Interested to see how many English started the opening day last season.

Arsenal -3
    Leicester - 5
    Watford - 2
    Liverpool - 2
    Chelsea - 1
    Burnley - 5
    Palace - 4
    Huddersfield - 3
    Everton - 6
    Stoke - 3
    Southampton - 5
    Swansea - 6
    WBA - 5
    Bournemouth - 6

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sterling's "technique" shouldn't be in question at all. If you were talking about the (apparently) best pair of full backs in the Premiership, Rose and Walker, over the years, I could understand it. I've done that myself.

I have, however, had some concern for awhile, how Sterling seems to be a little complacent too much of the time. Rather than pushing himself. Also, he looks to me as if he could do with some sprint coaching (yeah really) But one would have expected they had that covered already.

3. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Of course it should be in question. Btw both rose (former winger) and walker have excellent techniques for full backs, which is why theyre always comfy with England. Bad example. Sterling is a physical monster for his age but at some point his first touch could be a problem

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They are very good examples. I've been watching the pair of them closely, since they were unknowns. I used to wonder if Walker had some sort of brain problem such was his lack of control. And Rose was embarrassing to watch. In the Premiership he stuck out like a sore arse, with his poor technique. And Sterling isn't a monster. I was only thinking yesterday he looks like he could do with getting on a strength building programme to increase his muscle mass a bit.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A little update on the above - Watching Gerrard doing his BT TV punditry work yesterday I wondered whether the Liverpool u18 game away to Derby was moved to Friday to accommodate his appearance with BT.

6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They've moved 8 of their 22 Under-18 matches to Fridays. That probably answers your question.

The Guardian repped this.
  7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it probably does.

8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Pep only buys technical players. Walker very comfortable with the football , rose even more. I'll stop here I didn't think it could be debated.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    TAA just scored a great free kick in Liverpool's Champions League qualifier.

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Unfortunately also largely responsible for a Hoffenheim goal.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, he seemed rooted to the spot. That was one helluva cross by the way (that caught him napping) .

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think he and Matip share the blame for that one. TAA didn't play to the whistle, but Matip was also ambling back as if there was no defending to do. It can't be easy being an 18-year-old in a defence with no obvious leaders.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yeah, Matip could be the key for all Liverpool's defensive frailties. He is supposed to be a commanding centre back, but he doesn't command at all. Will be interesting to see whether they buy a new CB or not, be in Van Dijk or someone else. Unfortunately they won't buy English - maybe Ben Gibson is still on the market but can't see it happening.

14. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Liverpool need to sign a highly talented leader of a centre back or they're not really upgrading over what they already have. Is Ben Gibson a meaningful improvement over Dejan Lovren, would he be commanding in big games?

Liverpool's recent strategy strikes me as being not far off the "elite model" I talked about in the first post. They've been looking to spend huge money on difference makers like Keita and Van Dijk but when those moves haven't materialised they haven't panicked and moved for mediocre players instead. If Liverpool spend £30m on a mid table standard centre back it bumps Joe Gomez out of the match day squads and takes £30m out of the elite player fund.

Garibaldi11 and ChristianSur repped this.
  15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Once Kent seals his loan we still need the following to :

Freddie Woodman
    Jonjoe Kenny
    Fikayo Tomori
    Patrick Roberts
    Jake Clarke-Salter
    Callum Connolly
    Demetri Mitchell
    Liam Walsh
    Jerome Sinclair
    Tyler Walker

Maybe even

Kyle Walker-Peters (if another RB is signed)
    Joe Gomez (tough one)
    Axel Tuanzebe
    Ovie Ejaria
    Marcus Edwards
    George Hirst

hussar repped this.
  16. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Don't know if it's off-topic or nor, but for me Brighton's transfer window is a huge disappointment. For a reason I hoped they would buy some homegrown talent and some bright players from the Championship, a bit like Bournemouth or Burnley did. They bought some cheap imports from relegated Bundesliga teams instead, and some mediocrity from the Belgian and Swiss leagues, with the exception of the loan signing of Izzy Brown. Really don't understand this strategy at all.

17. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    8/11 players in Everton's line-up tonight against Man City are English. 9 if we count Williams who technically is English.

hussar, Marcho Gamgee and ChristianSur repped this.
  18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Was just coming here to post the same thing. I have a feeling Burnley might have beaten that at some point, but it must be a long time since we've seen it happen at a club of Everton's stature.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Beat me to it, was about to come on and say this and even though it should be applauded, my only grape is if the line up is as I think it is, Holgate at right wing back just puzzles me. Kenny is by far a better balanced player for that position but can't get into the squad.

ChristianSur repped this.
  20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    No doubt it's some bad scouting yet again from a Prem team but probably got a bargain prices compared to buying in the Championship for players that will be over priced unfortunately.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Stop wining.

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Brighton's transfer window does stand out to me as being poor ignoring the providence of the players/relevance to the thread. It looks a bit like mediocrity in bulk IMO. Of relevance to the thread: none of the promoted clubs have really created much opportunity for young English players:

Huddersfield:

2/8 permanent transfers were English (0 U25)
    1/2 loans were English (1 U23)

Brighton:

0/8 permanent transfers were English (0 U25)
    1/1 loans were English (1 U23)

Newcastle:

1/5 permanent transfers were English (1 U25) ...Jacob Murphy for £12m.
    0/1 loans were English (0 U23)

Including players those clubs already had under contract, those three getting promoted has so far created opportunities for only two U21 eligible players to play Premier League football (Palmer and Brown). U25 players who are likely to get game time are: Solly March, Jamaal Lascelles, Isaac Hayden, Jacob Murphy, Rolando Aarons (perhaps?).

For fairness Bournemouth's first Premier League transfer window featured Tyrone Mings as the only English player, it was subsequent windows that brought more youthful English players. Burnley signed loads of English players but the only only young English player they have successfully signed and integrated into their team as a Premier League club was Michael Keane. Chalobah, Bamford and Flanagan all had underwhelming loans there.

Garibaldi11, hussar and ChristianSur repped this.
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Too many young players in tonight's FA Cup games to mention them all, but a few things that jumped out at me:

-As mentioned elsewhere, L. Cook starts for a fairly strong Bournemouth side. At least we know he isn't injured.
    -Will Hughes similarly makes his first start in a strong Watford side. Chalobah makes way, but you can't have everything.
    -Hull have packed their line-up with academy products - apparently the whole team have 6 senior starts between them. The most recognisable name to me is Will Mannion in goal.
    -Fulham are giving further starts to S. Sessegnon, O'Riley, Edun, and Ojo.
    -Gray and Chilwell start for Leicester, but in what is very much a second-string line-up.
    -Danny Loader's on the bench for Reading. For the first time? I'm not sure. Will certainly be his debut if he comes on.

24. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    ITFC similar to Hull - 6 teenagers and 3 20 year olds in the starting XI - next to no appearances in the football league between the outfielders

ChristianSur repped this.
  25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Cuco Martina starting for Everton tonight with Jonjoe Kenny on the bench. It's hard to complain when they're starting a majority-English team again, but I just don't get that signing. It's not as if Martina is any more dependable than a talented youth.