The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I guess it would have to be British as don’t think we could legally just lobby for English citizen’s even though our National side doesn’t benefit from having say 6 Welsh/6 Scottish in a team’s quota for example ( yes I know it’s unlikely but just could happen in an extreme circumstances ). You can cancel the Irish citizenship though as we don’t have to include a foreign country.

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    We do. Because of the terms of the Common Travel Area Irish Citizens are legally exempt from any employment restrictions. So a law discriminating Irish citizens from employment would be unlawful. It’s unlikely the Government would approve of the FA upsetting sensitive Irish issue over doornall quotas.

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #3628 Fireburn47, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Do people here think the new very long contracts some players are getting is good for their development or not. Chelsea for example are now giving all young players six year contracts and I imagine the other big clubs will adopt that policy in time. Because their wages are not as high (The contracts are quite bonus related) getting rid of them might be cheaper than before through.

Equally it could trap talented English players at non CL clubs (Going by Chelsea’s current position in the table for example.) where for experience the more CL players in England squads the better.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    If this happens it COULD mean some England youth loans and possible avenue for CL football.

AJ123 repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Looks like Chelsea’s 2030 vision is buying lots of 18 year old’s as an attempt boost their level of homegrown players. I suspect other big clubs will also be buying lots of 18 year olds as well and putting them in the youth teams. Particularly South America where the visas’s are quite easy to get

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

Will this affect the minutes of any if their England Eligable players.

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I have a bad feeling the new owners of Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United will all be the type to talk about increasing English players but in the end push to relax the homegrown quotas.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I imagine even if he is eligible under schooling he probably doesn’t have a British passport and wouldn’t be that likely to get one.

10. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    He's eligible for Brazil, Argentina & Spain but not England it would appear. He only moved here in 2019.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Depending on when he arrived and his birthday might just become eligible for 5 years of schooling before 18.

12. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    DOB is 04/10/2006 & he moved here in around December 2019, going off an Instagram post of him saying goodbye to Brazil.

So he would've already been past 13 when he came to England.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Cheers guys, so that’s a no go then. Thanks for the clarification, wasn’t sure if his status due to him being only 16.

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    So not going to eligible under the Home Nations agreement. Through for FIFA he would be possibly.

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    The League Cup games this week could open some options for some young England players. City are playing Liverpool on Thursday. City in particular had a lot of players involved in the latter stages of the World Cup. Perhaps even the PL games on the 26th could see some opportunities.

16. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Just saw a few videos of Kobbie Mainoo and was very impressed. Ghana is lurking, has he played for England yet ? The type of deep midfielder we need at senior level

17. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He’s a regular in his age group for England. As a group they’ve been disappointing compared to recent groups.

sharpovic repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Mainoo has always been a standout in that age group. Along with CB Feeney and a few others.

AJ123 repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Southampton v Brighton. Edozie v Colwill. Looks like the game to watch from the 3pm games.

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Keep an eye on Dan Gore at United and Sammy Braybrooke at Leicester as well.

1590381639452229632 is not a valid tweet id

Gore is a regular with England and Braybrooke captain of the u19s.

Jenks and sharpovic repped this.
  21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think Edozie has shown enough in his last two games for Southampton to get a lot more minutes this season.

1605470876530458624 is not a valid tweet id

Won the penalty yesterday with a great run

Wonder if Solly March can get himself in the conversation for a call up.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It looks like Rico Lewis will be the English breakout star this season. Another good performance from him last night against a very hard pressing Leeds team. Guardiola has praised his tactical intelligence and I noticed last night KDB encouraging him to move forward with the ball through midfield. He did that and created a really good chance for Grealish. It appears that he's a fast learner. It's a shame that it's another right back! I think I've seen him play in midfield for England and I think that Guardiola used Kimmich in the same inverted role before he became a midfielder so hopefully Lewis can follow that arc.

I'm thinking he should be promoted to the u20 squad for the World Cup. He's better than the other options and will help us to dominate the ball. I'd love to see him play with Patino and Scott.

Sheffield United vs Blackpool is on TV tonight. Should be good to get a look at Patino and McAtee.

JAMC_ and sharpovic repped this.
  23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I was hugely impressed. His Walker like pace, his ability to receive and play forward under pressure and combine in Midfield. Phenomenal prospect

dbs235 and AJ123 repped this.
  24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    From that age group Lewis Hall also had an impressive debut for Chelsea. Then you have a range of different CM’s that look quite interesting in that group.

Not sure what to do with Rico. Can’t rule out a senior call up with the way he’s started at City. His versatility could gain a squad place.

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Just noticed that Nya Kirby who won 38 youth caps with us and the u17 World Cup has been without a club all season. Hope he can get back into the game soon.

Another decline is Isaac Buckley-Rickets who won 23 youth caps with us and the u19 Euros. He’s now playing in the 7th tier for Warrington Town.