The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Bournemouth have agreed a deal with Fleetwood to sign defender James Hill for £1million.

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Will Alves (16) on for Leicester.

AJ123 repped this.
  3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Lewis Baker coming on for Chelsea seems so strange. Still on the books at 26.

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Think he this season being kept in case he is needed to fill a quota place.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    How he is still at Chelsea is beyond me! What a waste of a football career, just reminds me of those keepers that just hang around in the background just for a nice little earner but will be forgotten about in years to come.

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    He's only there because they couldn't shift him in the summer. This'll be a shop window run out.

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    For the goalkeepers it is increasingly quota as a lot of them are homegrown.

8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Speculation that Patino will start for Arsenal vs Forest today. With James Garner possibly playing it could be a good chance to get a look at two possible future England midfielders squaring off against each other. I'm not that bullish on Garner anymore though. He doesn't to be turning into the player that we hoped.

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    There are so many young talented English midfielders at the moment. A lot more than forwards or defenders.

Garner is apparently being watched by Everton who want to loan him.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, maybe I’m reading too much into this but I didn’t particularly see it as a positive indication that he went back to Forest for a second loan. After one loan there you would then hope for a loan to a bigger team either in England or abroad the following season. Obviously it doesn’t always work out like that though and some players just don’t push on like you hope. I think Tommy Doyle is also one that possibly might fall away, had a torrid time on loan in Germany it seems.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Argh, was looking forward to seeing Patino tonight but he had a bit of a quiet game unfortunately. Probably not all his fault when he’s got god awful defenders like Holding that can’t make a five yard pass but when he did have the ball, just thought he was too safe and tried nothing exciting which we know is in his locker.

On another note, 2000 born right back Spence has had a great game and had Martinelli in his back pocket all game.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It was a pretty awful game and he looked a bit lost. He seemed to be a free roaming 8 but didn't get many touches. Good experience for him at least Garner had a decent game.

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Due to Covid, Injuries and AFCON it’s been reported Patino might be starting on Thursday for Arsenal in their first leg of their Semi against Liverpool.

14. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    The problem with clubs generally keeping their youth matches away from prying eyes is that all people get to judge youth players on is the highlights that get released. Highlights that then get clipped together into long compilations that numpties like Rio Ferdinand watch on YouTube and then proclaim on TV: “this kid is the next big thing, go look at his YouTube videos”
    So ironically young players get hyped up beyond their level because the clubs protect them from prying eyes that could critically analyse their real level.
    I’ve seen Patino a few times and I wouldn’t call his performance against Forest out of character.

15. brettspurs

brettspurs Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Nov 9, 2017

Disappointing as a Spurs fan but a good move for him, out of contract in the summer and wouldn't sign a new one. Has 12 goals and 6 assists in 14 PL2 games this season.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The Under 21 clause will limit it’s effect on English opportunity but It does mean even more players over that age being bench warmers rarely playing wrecking their career hoping for the big break because their club won’t sell them just in case.

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think if further quotas are brought in they either be an extension of the homegrown rules or based on having British citizenship. I can’t see an England eligible only rule coming in because that could be difficult to justify why some British citizens don’t count simply because they play for an international side other than England.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Chelsea starting their Club World Cup semi with no English players. Is this the most important match international Match an English club has played with no English (or even British) players starting. I can only think of it happening in the group stages of the CL before rather than the knockouts.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They're essentially playing a non-league team.

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Still it’s a semi final of a fifa tournament. Depending on Mount’s fitness and if any others injuries occur it could well be repeated in the final.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Is anybody actually watching these games? I’ll be honest, didn’t even know the game was on until Fireburn posted and still won’t be watching as just not interested in it.

AJ123 repped this.
  23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I have friends who are Chelsea Fans who will be watching. Chelsea themselves are treating it as a major occasion because Covid meant many family and friends missed out on the CL final and therefore are in Abu Dhabi for today’s March or will be in time for the final.

24. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    If Chelsea have ever played an international match in European competition with no English players, than it is not. These are glorified friendlies. To club football what the confederations cup is to international.

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I didn't either. Couldn't care less unless some young kid gets some playing time.

Marcho Gamgee and AJ123 repped this.