The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    He isn’t but he could still become a senior international. I’d have Harwood-Bellis and Delap above Palmer.

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Foden is a generational talent. Not many countries have those. If palmer is in that second level bracket then he will still be a hell of a player

3. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd put him somewhere in between Nathan Redmond and Phil Foden in the talent scale.

But seriously - he's a 6'2 winger, with an eye for a finish, a bag of trick's and Pep's Guardiola's coaching behind him. If he's able to fill out he could easily become something special.

roverman repped this.
  4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I would have McAtee with these players too, he’s quality in my opinion.

5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    "Could still become a senior international" is where I am too. He has some lovely touches and some far less convincing moments, so for me there's a huge amount of guesswork in trying to predict where he'll end up. It's not just Foden - I'm not seeing a sure thing like we did with Bellingham, Sancho or whoever else, and if he's going to "dominate the City side" then he's going to have to be unequivocally world class.

AJ123 and TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    You’re right mate. Not sure how I forgot him!

My guess would be;
    Tier 1 - Foden
    Tier 2 - Harwood-Bellis, McAtee, Delap, C. Doyle
    Tier 3 - Palmer
    Tier 4 - T. Doyle

I’ve probably missed a few but just going off what I have seen.

7. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    he doesn’t need to dominate the city side or be as good as foden. He needs to be as good or better then mahrez and Jesus, which I think he will be.

for city’s youth side he’s arguably our best player, so other then a couple of u21 games and cameos for city, not sure how you can write him off yet. Presume your judging Bellingham or Sancho on a season of first team games?

roverman repped this.
  8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I don’t think it’s writing Palmer off to suggest that he isn’t on the level of Foden, Sancho or Bellingham.

9. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    alright maybe writing off is the wrong way of describing it.

‘I'm not seeing a sure thing like we did with Bellingham, Sancho or whoever else’ - just not sure what this is based on. I’d say Palmer is putting in similar levels of performance compared to Sancho - when he was at city. Much better to judge him when he’s had a full season like sancho did

He might not be as good btw

10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    He does need to dominate the City side to "dominate the City side" though, doesn't he? Which is what you said and what I responded to.

Sancho was 17 when he left Man City, not 19 as Palmer is now. He also stood out a lot more than Palmer has done for England's youth sides, so I think it's fair to differentiate.

11. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If Palmer was in a Bundesliga side there's nothing to say he wouldn't have broken through by now and at least had a decent highlight reel of dribbling past suspect defenders.

Controversial take - only Foden and perhaps Greenwood have proven themselves as top tier world class prospects.

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    That's guesswork, but you know as well as I do that Palmer was never spoken about as the great hope of English football in the way that Sancho and Bellingham were long before they moved to Germany. They always looked like sure things, notwithstanding Sancho's difficult spell at the moment. Palmer's a "maybe".

roverman repped this.
  13. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Neither was Kane.

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Right, and at the time he was rightly considered a "maybe" too.

WeekendSleeper repped this.
  15. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    What does Bellingham have that you think is or potentially is world class?

16. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    You don't get many 17 years starting for Champions league clubs as a Box to Box midfielder as he did last season (and scoring in important knock out games)

For me what make him potentially world class is his all round package. He has a fantastic engine and work rate, he's technically very good on the ball, and is starting to add more goals and assists to his game. Already has 6 assists and 2 goals from 13 games/1000 minutes this season (matching his combined total from last season).

roverman repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    English eligible players starting in the Premier League, total per matchday: Season 2021-2022:

Matchday 1 - 76/220 = 34.54%
    Matchday 2 - 77/220 = 35%
    Matchday 3 - 83/220 = 37.7%
    Matchday 4 - 85/220 = 38.63%
    Matchday 5 - 77/220 = 35%
    Matchday 6 - 78/220 = 35.45%
    Matchday 7 - 80/220 = 36.3%
    Matchday 8 - 72/220 = 32.7%

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah. I think there is nothing wrong with calling it how you see it & a player exceeding the hopes and expectation. Kane was good but I don't think any of use would have called him a world class talent and he was rightly down the pecking order for a fair bit of his youth international career.

I think it is fair to say Palmer hasn't been considered Tier 1 but could get there and a lot of that is probably to do with him physically maturing and finding what his best role is. But he is definitely on a big upward curve.

roverman repped this.
  19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Remember watching him at the U17 Euros? For a while I wondered why he’d been picked but we should know better than to judge kids off physical strength

20. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Relating to this I've often found it interesting how there's a decent number of key players in the senior squad that had minimal to no involvement with the England youth sides. Maguire, Rice, Phillips and Grealish being notable ones.

Then you have the prospects of yester years like Roberts, Crowley, Edwards, Solanke, Nelson etc that everyone was hyped on that aren't really up to much.

Goes to show how difficult it is to predict really.

hussar and dbs235 repped this.
  21. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    Crowley had a full season in the Dutch top division in 18/19 and racked up a decent amount of goals + assists then had another full season in the championship in 19/20. Then his career stalled since that. He’s still only 24 though. There’s a chance, albeit small, that he won’t be another McEachran. But it does seem like he just isn’t quick enough or strong enough for the top. It’s great to be technical but I guess there is a minimum standard of athleticism that you need to meet.

PoliteSquats repped this.
  22. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is the trouble - we all like technical players but having a good level of physicality simply does increase chances of making an impact at first team level. It's why Mctominay can play regular games in the champions league and the premier league while not nearly having the same amount of natural talent as someone like Mceachran.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    English eligible players starting in the Premier League, total per matchday: Season 2021-2022:

Matchday 9 - 78/220 = 35.45%

ChristianSur repped this.
  24. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Liam Delap back for Man City U23s, wasn't great but probably as expected.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

Matchday 9 - 78/220 = 35.45%
    Matchday 10 - 74/220 = 33.6%