The paucity of English opportunity thread

Discussion in 'England' started by wellno, Aug 9, 2017.

1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Funnily enough there's an interview in The Athletic today done in conversation form between Elliot and his former youth coach at Fulham, this is the coach on Elliot playing deeper

It’s been interesting watching you now on the right side of midfield. We always saw you as a multi-functional attacker who could play off either wing, as a No 10 or a false No 9. We tried to give you that variety. Your best position was always coming in off the right onto your left foot. We never really played you in that deeper position. How have you found that adaptation?

Harvey gives a generic media trained response and then the coach asks

Should we have played you there when you were 13? I feel like we failed you!

Harvey gives a generic media trained response on how he's happy to play anywhere

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Morgan Whittaker hat-trick -

1430257339702054916 is not a valid tweet id

Jenks repped this.
  3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Arsenal's terrible start to the season means that Arteta is using a really strong team tonight. No sight of Patino or Azeez.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If they don’t manage to win this one tonight against an very young and inexperienced WBA side then they are in deep trouble.

5. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Azeez really needs to be looking at getting out on a loan, with Arsenal not in Europe and not even in the squad for a second round league cup game he's clearly not going to be in the first team plans any time soon.

One of our problems with producing these deeper lying midfielders is precisely they rarely get trusted to ever play in their position and end up making their first forays into senior football well after their European contemporaries.

TopBanana10, roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    On the new coach appointments -

John McDermott, FA technical director, said: “It's been a challenging period for those working with our development teams across the England pathway.

"Due to the cancellation of youth tournaments and large periods of inactivity across the various age groups, it has made it difficult to plan too far ahead which is why we are only initially looking at the autumn period with this coaching structure.

“I’d like to thank colleagues for their patience and hard work across our development teams and let’s hope we can all look forward to our younger players gaining invaluable international tournament experience within a safe environment from 2022 onwards.”

MU20s

Head coach: Andy Edwards
    Assistant coach: Jason Euell
    Goalkeeper coach: Danny Alcock

MU19s

Head coach: Ian Foster
    Assistant coach: Marcus Bignot
    Goalkeeper coach: Anthony White

MU18s

Head coach: Paul Williams (September camp only)
    Assistant coach: Michael Johnson
    Goalkeeper coach: Adrian Tucker
    MU17s

Head coach: Tom Curtis
    Assistant coach: Omer Riza
    Assistant coach: Paul Davis
    Goalkeeper coach: Sam Meek

ADM99 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    All the head coaches have been in the set up for a good while, apart from Williams who left a few years ago. So it’s not like we have been rudderless after all.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    This reminds me of the Marvel movies. They all got a BAME assistant.

9. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Apparently off to Portsmouth.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I honestly have no idea of the new appointments but is it going back to the old days? Doesn’t sound to promising if true!

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure I really understand what that means.

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Me neither to be honest but from reading some of the thread, it’s the same system as when we had Blake and Peacock as head coaches…..whatever that really means I’m not sure as these new guys I doubt have the same philosophies as those old coaches.

13. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Weren't these teams previously always head coach and assistant? Don't really see what's different about that.

Perhaps he is referring to the fact there are no out of possession, in possession coaches in the set up now. Although I believe that change was made in the budget cuts last year.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Maybe that the set up was coach and more of a team behind the coach for more specific things. Rather than a specific assistant coach selection. The likes of Cochrane and Betsy that are being praised in that timeline were pretty much assistants anyway when they entered the FA set up?

That’s my perception but the tweet is quite vague so I’m not sure.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Can’t remember which thread this was talked about recently but Luke Matheson has join Hamilton on a season long loan from Wolves. I’m not sure why any young players would go there to be honest. There’s no clear pathway to there first team so not really sure what the point is. He would have been better off playing for Rochdale and letting his stock rise there.

hussar repped this.
  16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Same with Leeds too. They've picked up a number of young English talents but Bielsa uses a small squad and hasn't shown any desire to start promoting these kids. In Lewis Bates's case he has Leed's most important player in front of him!

If these kids sign for a Championship or lower club then they're much more likely to get game time and have agency over a big move if they make the grade. Some people have criticised Cirkin going to Sunderland but he's played in every game so far.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, it’s hard to understand what their plan is for someone like Gelhardt for example. I mean when they bought him two years ago, he played 18 times for Wigan but since then he’s been relegated to playing just U23 football. This is surely just going to stagnate a player rather than help his development. Surely a loan move away would have been more beneficial. It will be interesting to see what the plan is for Lewis Bate going forward and just hope he’s not left to play U23 football for the next couple of years.

Ste walker repped this.
  18. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Bate plays as a no.8 at Leeds, so he's not behind Phillips. And every player in this position is over 30 at Leeds (Dallas, Klich, Forshaw), so his time will come.
    I think the best Leeds u23 players will get their chances, this is not Wolves we talk about.

19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Look at it this way then. Sam Greenwood and Joe Gelhardt are the same age as Mason Greenwood yet have one senior appearance for Leeds between them! Mason Greenwood has 108 appearances for United. Manchester United are one of the best clubs about for developing young talent. This version of Leeds have shown nothing to suggest that they are good for young talent so far. Don't forget that Gelhardt was playing senior football in The Championship before joining Leeds and now isn't getting a sniff.

20. ElCub25

ElCub25 New Member

Leeds United
    Aug 9, 2021
    Leeds bought them on the basis of a two-year plan to integrate them into the first team. I believe Bate will possibly make an appearance this year due to the lack of depth in midfield.

hussar repped this.
  21. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    We talk about Bielsa who made England regular of a mediocre Championship player, and now another Leeds player got his call-up who had been ridiculed for years .
    Maybe you're right but I would wait with this kind of judgments. If there is no major breakthrough this season for some of these youngsters then it's a different story.

ElCub25 repped this.
  22. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I hoped Bielsa would of give game time to Gelhardt , S Greenwood and Drameh. Leeds have a small squad.. so I think they will get chance aswell as Bate.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Is anyone else getting Aidy Boothroyd flashbacks from this start to the season from Arteta’s Arsenal? What stood out to me was the start of the cup game in midweek when West Brown’s reserves looked like a much more better coached team off the ball. Pressing as a team etc.

I can’t see Arteta surviving the year.