The "Ownership vs. Stewardship" Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Mar 6, 2018.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't argue at all with the general gist of the article--both Kraft and Kroneke are terrible stewards of their MLS teams. But Wahl focuses all on the "lack of a stadium in Boston" theme. While if they did ever do this, that would signal a huge turnaround for Ebeneezer Kraft, but as we've discussed ad nauseum on this board, there are lots of reasons why it might not make sense.

But there are a ton of other things that Kraft is not doing with the Revs, and those things, Urban Core Stadium or not, are not getting done and would go a long way to make the Revs a "serious" team and relevant in their market.

Not that the Krafts would ever read this or try to counter it with any sort of rebuttal, but any half-brained Kool-Aid Drinker could easily refute Wahl's whole premise. It's all about bowl-movement donations, and that's where the Revs are seriously lacking. Good enough is good enough. Or if it isn't, well, it's still good enough, because that's all you'll get.

Feldspar and dncm repped this.
  3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Totally agree - I was thinking similar when re-reading it too

4. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    There are so many more Revs mentions on social media than average when Pats win Super Bowl.

Revs FO just might have a love/hate thing re: Pats SB wins - with it comes an uptick (albeit temporary) in scrutiny of the Krafts' soccer team.

Look at replies/comments on this Tweet -

(originally pointed out by @NERevsUK -
    )

5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    According to this source, Krafts are a strong contender in the MLS Balance Sheet Sweepstakes. They are even a global top-100 power club in in this analysis.

Interesting take on "potential" as a factor in the analysis -

(But for some reason Krafts will not or can not leverage that capital into a title contending team in the real on-field competition.)

6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Bob and Jonathan. Take that money home.

Thankfully, it isn't my money.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they even joked about him playing for the Revs.
    "We'd love to have you on our team! We'll pay you $200,000."
    "$200,000 a week, right?"

9. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I know tottenham are cheap, but I feel like he is already on more than £250,000/wk. That would be a huge pay cut

ToMhIlL repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame it on currency exchange!

Reminds me of some pro-Precourt Austin shill saying that he wasn't a worse owner than Kraft because he spent "millions" on upgrading Crew Stadium. Well, he didn't specify that it was US dollars that we were talking about. He probably did spend a million on ongoing stadium maintenance. A million Rwandan Francs, that is, which comes out to just short of $1,200

11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Posted elsewhere, I know -

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/sports/soccer/robert-kraft-revolution.html

Something about guys named Kevin writing Kraft-soccer-exposes in March.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article. Nothing new in there for anyone on this board but still, it was a positive to see coverage in the NY Times. We need more national outlets to cover the revs' lack of attention by the Krafts.

It was interesting neither Kraft spoke. They can't claim it was a hatchet job this time, at least.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't speak to the other guy either. They will almost never comment on these kinds of articles. Any reporter who has the unmitigated audacity to say, "Hey, look at that emperor, he's walking around buck-nekkid!" forces them into some kind of comment. And niether is a very good response (A) "Um, what soccer team?" or (B) Whaddaya mean? He's wearing the finest textiles money can buy! Just look at that white collar with the light blue shirt! How stylish is that?"

So it's a whole lot easier to be "unavailable for comment." Besides, in this day and age, it has almost become the norm to use answer B.

Looking on the bright side, maybe this will prompt us to sign the next Jermaine Jones. Think about it, we were a pretty mediocre, going nowhere team until he joined us.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    One nitpick on the article: it included a photo of the sparsely populated outdoor section of the luxury boxes for the home opener (with the implication that it was a disappointing crowd). That section is always an unreliable indicator (even for Patriot games, mega-concerts, etc.) since the fans can choose to be inside or outside - and most typically go with the indoor amenities.

No doubt the 13K+ is disappointing by MLS standards (and looks even worse in such a huge stadium), but, in context, given that it was probably just about our earliest home opener ever, that number isn't so bad.

Certainly the larger point, that our attendance is in the lower half of the league in one of the 2-3 biggest (if not the biggest) stadiums isn't a good look, is valid.

BrianLBI and A Casual Fan repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, that is the way internet media works these days: the photo supports the author's bias.

Take any political article online. You can tell which way it is slanted just by looking at the picture. If the photo of <insert political figure here> is an unflattering picture, you know the article is slanted toward the opposing party.

16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

"Are we there yet?"

Arena's not all of that, but checks many of the boxes.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good, experienced transition to said mastermind.

18. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-6-8_22-29-48.png

Did Justin Rennicks get one?

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sticking this here for your viewing pleasure. 19th in the league. Only three teams below the Revs would currently make the playoffs should the season end tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

goussoccer repped this.
  20. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d be interested to know the average salary of non-DP, non-GAM/TAM/SAM/WAM/PAM/HAM/BAM/DAM (I sometimes think MLS will run out of three letter acronyms for X allocation money) compensated players.

The number I read was promising but I fear totally misleading.

21. WittyName

WittyName New Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 16, 2018
    Only one MLS team (Toronto) is paying their entire roster ($22M) more than the Red Sox are paying Pablo Sandoval ($19M) this year to play for the Giants. Yikes.