The Overrated Directors Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by sanariot, Oct 17, 2003.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've restricted my list to those directors who are mediocre and worse. I'm not listing good directors who are overrated.

David Fincher
    Bryan Singer
    Anthony Minghella
    Robert Redford
    Lasse Hallström
    Kevin Smith
    Sam Mendes
    Jean-Pierre Jeunet
    Robert Zemeckis

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Preach it, GringoTex. Preach it.

3. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I agree with the previous votes for George Lucas as an overrated director. Star Wars is the only movie that he has directed that is a true classic. He is an absolute genius at generating the basic idea of a movie, setting up its general structure and creating an exciting visual environment. However, he should become less involved as the movie enters the scripting and directorial stage. Some of the dialog in the two Star Wars prequals is aweful. He did create Indiana Jones and the Star Wars universe so give credit where it is due. I just wish he would have let someone else direct the prequals.

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Smith, but I can't say I disagree. I think his writing is a lot better than his directing.

I also have to agree with the comment that it's different tastes, not so much "overrated directors". I doubt a single brilliant director could be chosen unanimously here. Even so, nobody avoids the occasional clunker. Everybody has their Gigli, so to speak.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should add, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while - which might well be the case for Smith the Director with Clerks, or Dogma (tho that was more "good" than "great").

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Lars Von Trier yet. People either love or hate his stuff. I love it, but there are so many that disagree.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Robert Altman

Maybe I've seen all the wrong movies of his. But nothing has really impressed me yet.

8. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    David Lynch overrated?

Your crazy.

And if you were implying that Hal Hartley was overrated, same thing, but I don't think you are.

Jane Campeon. The Piano sucked suckness.

Her new movie must - must -- be dreadful.

9. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Robert Altman?

He has done many bad movies, but suggesting he is overrated?

Yes. You're eyes should be gouged out.

10. giaguara

giaguara New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Cork
    .. i was going to say tarantino, but heh, luckily even the 1st post said that :)

i hated reservoir dogs. i wanted all film them to just DO something .. like shoot each other. i have enough of angst of my own, i dont need to go see gangsta angst in movies.

and pulp fiction .. i saw it twice in bus, one time low volume, second in french. so what i understood was ... cocaine, tabacco, booze, women, otehr drugs, gangstas, nice cars and money. i wasn't really impressed.