The Other Juve related news discussion thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by 1251alex, Jan 20, 2011.

1. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dante repped this.
  2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    We have seen how unpredictable these kangaroo court prosecutors can be.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Juve, Napoli, Roma, Atalanta, Genoa and Sampdoria that are also being investigated.

Also, they can't do shit, there's no set valuation of players method. A club will pay what they think a player is worth. This is just the Italian bureaucracy needing to look like it's doing something again.

It's also why Serie A is becoming a joke. The Saudi's said it best when they were looking at a team to buy (and chose Newcastle) "We talked to Inter Milan, AC [Milan], but the problem was the structure of the league was a mess."

4. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Its ********ing hilarious is what it is.

This is how the investigation will go: "So, did you value x player at x value?"
    "Yes"
    "Oh, and this is reflected in your accounts?"
    "Yes"
    "Well, we don't like it"
    "Tough shit"

The end.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone watch All or Northing Juventus yet? I watched all 8 episodes. It was ok, nothing great. They focused on Bonucci and Chiellini WAAAAY too much.

Also, seeing Pirlo work behind the scenes, it was clear that the team wasn't good enough for him. Now, not sure if he deserved the boot or not, especially with the way this season is going.

usnroach and juveeer repped this.
  6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We can all agree that this side isn't that good, but what did Pirlo achieve in management to suggest that he was too good for this side? He certainly didn't prove himself last season.

7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  8. cizko

cizko Member

Juve
    Italy
    Jul 14, 2017
    How do you mean? That players at his disposal were insufficient for his system?

9. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dante repped this.
  10. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless there is recordings or conversations laying out what figures need to be used in order to balance the books, I can't see how they can say what a player is worth.

If Agnelli/Paratici/Marotta/Nedved/Cherubini can be seen/heard saying to Barca/Citeh/Genoa/etc. that they need to value Arthur/Pjanic/Cancelo/Danilo/etc at a specific number to ensure they don't post negative losses for shareholder confidence or whatever, that is the only thing that would make it look illegal.

If that evidence is there, it doesn't make sense that it should result in disqualification from the league or revocation of titles. Fines? Sure. Imprisonment? Sure. But the players/coaches shouldn't be hurt because of it.

Of course, as others have stated, all bets are off when it comes to the kangaroo courts...

11. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Welp.

Hope you are right.

But I have far less confidence in whatever process that will be employed than you do.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won two trophies and finished in 4th. Juve will be lucky to finish in the EL places with the way they're going, much less winning two trophies.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just weren't good enough, like now. Not performing well. You can see he would set up a certain system and players would just go off and do their own thing, and he'd call them out on it too.

Bonucci liked to talk like he was the big man dispensing sage advice that everyone should follow and then he goes and does opposite of what he said. I dislike him even more after watching the series.

juventino13 repped this.
  14. cizko

cizko Member

Juve
    Italy
    Jul 14, 2017
    That's bad. I will save myself some nerves and won't watch that series.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would still recommend it, I knew what the results were so I knew what was coming. I liked seeing how some people reacted to it.

usnroach repped this.
  16. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    And the prior year, Juve won the scudetto with Sarri. I'm not sure how just barely finishing in a CL spot is better, even if we won the Coppa Italia. The Supercup is a one-off so....

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with basically the same team they're doing much worse. Watching AoN has changed my perception of Pirlo. I think he should have been given another chance.

juveeer repped this.
  18. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Max, but I'm thinking the same about Pirlo. If CR7 would have made his intentions to leave known earlier, maybe Pirlo stays for the rebuild. Granted, editing could be heavily involved to make him see like he had great ideas and was trying to get them to the players. Especially not being able to have any preseason with the guys as well.

You look at that team and you are dumbstruck how we were able to do anything without Locatelli in midfield. I certainly don't trust Rabiot, Ramsey, and Bentancur in Loca's place.

juveeer repped this.
  19. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the ongoing investigation into Juventus capital gains, I am quickly reminded how much I can't stand the other fans on the peninsula, heck continent. So un-original in their hate for us. I needed it when I start to see myself hoping for Milan, Roma, Napoli, and Fiore to do well because a strong Serie A makes for a better and more attractive Juve. Nope, F them. We can go back to being the Bayern of Italy. Hopefully take the best talent in the country, sometimes for free and rack up domestic double after domestic double.

juveeer and Dante repped this.
  20. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    At least Pirlo had a modern set of tactics. if they had kept him a couple of years and brought in players to play his way we would be a lot further down the road than we will be if we rebuild to Max's specifications.

usnroach and Dante repped this.
  21. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    IF ONLY we were the Bayern of Italy.

The difference is, the other German clubs know their place, want their league to be good overall and thus will sell players to Bayern so that they can win internationally.

In Italy the top teams won't sell to us unless we prise a player away via a release clause and some, like Inter, try to sabotage a sale to us even after they sell a player like Icardi to a club in another country. And every chance they ge they try to tear us down.

Inter was always run by azzhats and so has Lazio, but Milan when Mr. BoomBoom ran them didn't act that way and we have never acted that way.

Heck I remember one season when we played that pre-season tourney against Milan and Buffon was injured, Milan gave us a goalkeeper because they didn't think it was right that the club should suffer because of that injury in a pre-season friendly. And that keeper was key for us all year, then went back to Milan the next season I believe.

The fraud of Calciopoli changed everything and essentially destroyed Serie A as the best league in the world. Now with the Prem lapping the field with TV $$$$, hard to see how we ever get that title back. Esp. with the rest of Italy trying to tear down the top clubs all the time.

22. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the EPL will ever release their hold as the top earning league and attracting the most talent (maybe not the best talent). It is mind blowing how much larger their TV deal is compared to Serie A, La Liga, or the Bundesliga.

23. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  24. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's quite funny. The "Ronaldo secret document" o_O

I mean, I wouldn't put it past Agnelli, Paratici, and Nedved to provide any additional financial incentives to CR7, especially when payments were being withheld to other players but I think it is really be stretched...like this sentence...

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Fresh from my in box, here is NY Times soccer correspondent Rory Smith on Juve:

[​IMG]

December 3, 2021

The Demise of the Old Lady

[​IMG]

From the Super League to financial regulators to mounting losses, the news just keeps getting worse at Juventus.Isabella Bonotto/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

[​IMG]

By Rory Smith

Perhaps the best measure of how concerned Juventus is by image — of how central to the club’s identity is the way that identity is projected and perceived — is that it may well be the only team in world soccer to have its own, custom-designed font.

It was commissioned in 2017, presumably after a raft of meetings that featured intense, sincere discussions about what typeface best conveyed the team’s values and mission. The font appears in all of the club’s marketing campaigns. It is deployed on all its social media pronouncements. It adorns the Juventus offices in Turin and Milan.

Using the font is important to Juventus executives: uniformity of iconography, they believe, is crucial in helping build the club’s brand, in expressing to current fans and prospective ones and, where none can be found, putative customers, quite what Juventus stands for. Everything the club publishes has to have that distinctive, recognizable Juventus look. Image comes first.

All of which makes the events of the last few months — perhaps longer — difficult to understand. First, there is the ongoing and now faintly masochistic devotion of Andrea Agnelli, the club’s president, to a Super League project that has not only cost him friendships and positions of power, but that has been met with pretty much universal opprobrium from fans. Continued commitment to it is not, as they say, a good look.

[​IMG]

Marco Bertorello/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

And then, more serious still, there is the investigation by Italy’s financial authorities into six current and former executives — including Agnelli and Pavel Nedved, the club’s vice president — into Juventus’s transfer dealings. The authorities are said to be considering various charges of false accounting and reporting. The police have already raided the club’s training facility and its offices. That is not great for the image, either.

It would be easy, then, to see more than a little hubris in Juventus’s on-field travails this season. There is a scene in the first episode of the club’s edition of the “All Or Nothing” documentary series — which started airing on Amazon Prime late last month, and over which the team’s executives hung like hawks, every step of the way — in which Agnelli gathers the members of the playing squad and lets them know, in no uncertain terms, the expectations.

With an expletive or two thrown in, he tells the players that the previous season was not up to scratch. The year in question was the one before last, the one in which Maurizio Sarri led Juventus to a ninth straight Serie A title. The coach, an unlikely appointment who turned into an unpopular incumbent, had gone; Agnelli would not, he said, tolerate a repeat.

[​IMG]

The Juventus president Andrea Agnelli, right, and vice president Pavel Nedved are said be to be under investigation for the club's transfer dealings.Massimo Rana/EPA, via Shutterstock

In comparison, of course, that year under Sarri would come to be seen as the last chapter of the golden era. Under his replacement, the novice Andrea Pirlo, Juventus barely scraped into the Champions League — relying on Napoli’s stumbling at home on the final day to make it — and then, over the course of the summer, discovered that Cristiano Ronaldo, the player it had brought in to turn domestic hegemony into continental success, no longer wanted to stick around.

If that seemed like the nadir, it was not. After the failed experiments with Sarri and Pirlo, Juventus restored Massimiliano Allegri as coach this summer. His task was to prioritize “results,” as he has put it, over the pursuit of style that had captivated the club when it decided, a couple of years ago, that it had outgrown Sarri. Juventus had realized, it seemed, that the fact of winning was more central to its identity than the nature of it.

Things are not, though, quite so simple. Allegri’s team has lost five games in Serie A already this season. Relative minnows, like Sassuolo, and actual minnows, like Empoli, have returned from Juventus’s Allianz Stadium with victories. Last weekend, Atalanta won in Turin for the first time in more than 30 years.

Juventus sits seventh in Serie A, 12 points behind Napoli, the early leader. Allegri has already stated his belief that finishing fourth, and securing yet another season in the Champions League, may be the limit of this team’s ambitions. Even that relatively meager target is by no means guaranteed.

[​IMG]

Juventus fans are not used to watching a seventh-place team.Massimo Pinca/Reuters

The cause of that decline can be traced to the same root as the demise in Juventus’s image. There is a tendency, in soccer, to believe nobody is capable of doing two things at once: A player taking an interest in off-field activities — whether that is being on TikTok, running a fashion label, feeding hungry children — will, at some point, invariably be told to concentrate on their performances; a club that takes care of its brand identity will be told to focus, instead, on signing players.

It is a false dichotomy, of course. Players can run a business, campaign or social media account and still remember how to mark opponents on corners. Clubs employ hundreds of people, not all of whom are devoted to tactics, nutrition or being a right back.

Where the two threads of Juventus’s struggles entwine is in the rationale behind them. Agnelli favors a Super League because it solves his club’s immediate financial problems. The plusvalenza system that the team’s executives are accused of manipulating offers the same, short-term hit: It makes sure this year’s books look good, with little or no thought to what happens later.

[​IMG]

Manager Massimiliano Allegri is already setting limits on what his team can achieve this season.Ciro De Luca/Reuters

That is precisely how Juventus has been run, too. In 2017, after a second defeat in the Champions League final in three years, Agnelli became obsessed with winning instantly. The painstaking, intelligent work that had returned the club to the pinnacle in both Italy and Europe was out; signing players to triumph immediately became the order of the day. A year later, the approach reached its apogee when Ronaldo arrived in Turin.

Now Juventus is paying for that impatience. Ronaldo may be gone, but there are countless others — all on hefty contracts, all eating up the club’s pandemic-ravaged finances, all too costly to be easily offloaded — who remain: Aaron Ramsey and Alex Sandro and Adrien Rabiot.

Allegri has at his disposal the sketch outline of a young, competitive team: Matthijs de Ligt, Rodrigo Bentancur, Manuel Locatelli, Dejan Kulusevski and Federico Chiesa. The club’s decision to establish an under-23 team in Italy’s third tier was made with the future in mind, too.

But none of it can come to fruition while the squad, and the balance sheet, is filled by the underperforming and the overpaid. Juventus has thought for too long about the now, and too little about what comes next. And it is that, ultimately, which will do the damage to its image, to how it is perceived, and how it perceives itself. What matters, after all, is the story a club tells, not how it is written.

juveeer repped this.