The Other Juve related news discussion thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by 1251alex, Jan 20, 2011.

1. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Except leave.

Dante, gumbacicc and juventino13 repped this.
  2. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dante repped this.
  3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You are agreeing with my point as to the managerial decision. We agree that Allegri's time was up. We also agree that the Sarri decision was poor. The decision to sack Allegri when you did not have a suitable option to replace him was disastrous. It has led to the appointment of a manager whom we all loved as a player, but seems out of his depth on many occasions due to a lack of experience.

The only reason we won the scudetto last season was because Inter and Lazio were not consistent. Otherwise that squad was just as poor, if not worse, than this year's decision.

Rabiot was not "free". He is being paid a ton of money on stipend that makes it hard to move away from him because you won't have suitors willing to take him at his stipend. His wages require you to play him which precludes a better alternative in that position. It was a bad decision, even if at first the idea of bringing him on with no transfer fee was appealing. You can see why PSG were willing to let him go. Had Juve used those funds to buy Barella, we'd be in a different position: but Marrotta beat Paratici to the punch.

You argue that Marrotta would have done the same. I just gave you an example of how both he and Paratici were presented the same challenge, i.e., a void in midfield, and Marrotta handled it better by NOT doing the free transfer.

You're misstating what I argued. I don't agree that Paratici got 6 players right. He got Chiesa and McKennie right. De Ligt, as well, as if he should be lauded for paying top dollar for the best young defender in the world. The team has gotten progressively worse since Ronaldo joined, so I'm not sure if that was the right move--it was a no-brainer in terms of the brand, not the product on the field. Demiral, question mark. Kulu, question mark. Arthur, question mark (coupled with a lot of money). Ramsey, bad. Rabiot, bad. That is not a good track record, especially when couple with the progressively worsening performances.

I didn't say that Paratici should be sacked. In truth, he has been mediocre. However, the extension makes no sense.

juveeer repped this.
  4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I think it's hard for any of us to say who, among Paratici, Nedved, and Agnelli, had what say in what moves. My critique of Paratici above extends to all three because I have to imagine each has their say with respective to these moves and they are done in a collaborative effort.

Agnelli (and to a certain extent Nedved and Paratici) deserve(s) a lot of praise for helping pick this club up post-calciopoli. He should not be immune to criticism given these last few years.

juveeer repped this.
  5. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Of course not, no one is immune to criticism, but I also don't think its time to start chopping heads.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that Football Italia article got right was Sarri being sacked. Literally.

Agnelli has final say on everything with Juve, it's well known. If he wants someone it's Nedved and Paratici's job to go do it, unless it's Ronaldo. That was the only time he got personally involved. People should listen to the proven guys like Agresti and Romano, they revealed a lot of stuff about what went down in the months after Sarri's sacking.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marotta was given a wide purse at Inter and look at how that turned out, he signed some really good players, but now they can't afford to pay other teams or some of their players and their owners are begging for money. Let's not forget the stinkers Marotta signed while at Juve as well. Elia, Martinez, Traore, Krasic, etc etc.

8. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Also, while yes Marotta did sign Barella and I definitely am sad we couldn't get him, it was always clear that Barella wanted to go to Inter and not come to Juve, he said it several times.

No one is perfect, its impossible to always get it right. And I think this summer, with all the financial issues and all the stuff going on around the world it will be a real test for management to try to sort out the teams issues.

This summer will show what these people are made of.

usnroach repped this.
  9. cizko

cizko Member

Juve
    Italy
    Jul 14, 2017
    It's not that important for this discussion, but you must know that I didn't literally mean, that Paratici and Nedved did kneel before Sarri and begged him. But even Sarri said at the beginning, that before Juve, he never saw directors that were so determined to get him.

Either they really wanted him, or their first few options declined and they were really desperate to at least get Sarri.

Obviously Agnelli must have given his okay, but it wasn't his doing.

Either way, it doesn't matter now. But information about Paratici extension surprised me a little bit. It isn't like he is some football mastermind. Guy is still a question mark for me.

juveeer repped this.
  10. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Fair enough, but I still don't think getting rid of him is the answer.

11. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I haven't seen anyone say we should get rid of him.

But...he SHOULD be on the clock. The rebuilding of this team is far from over and whether he is the right man to finish the job is questionable.

cizko and juventino13 repped this.
  12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it looks like ESPN will be losing the US rights to Serie A, which expire after this season. Word is that Paramount+ could be the new home of Serie A starting next season.

We should know more by the end of next week. Apparently the broadcasting rights have gone to a second round of bids.

13. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Will that mean more money or less? I'm guessing viewership is up because football in general is getting very popular in the US, not to mention with the pandemic people are stuck at home more often that not.

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time it was pretty much just ESPN that put in the highest bid and won it in the first round. This time they've received better bids so they narrowed the list and had the top bidders put in one more bid, so it probably means more money.

juventino13 repped this.
  15. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nice, that's good to hear. The more money coming in the better.

Dante repped this.
  16. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I agree as well, but everybody should always be on the clock. That includes Pirlo, Paratici, Nedved, and Agnelli. Everybody.

That's why we are Juventus.

gumbacicc, juveeer and cizko repped this.
  17. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I kind of like ESPN's coverage of Serie A. The app makes it easy to watch anywhere you go, and it's only $5 a month. I'd be somewhat disappointed to see them lose the contract, unless their successor comes up with something better.

juveeer repped this.
  18. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if Paramount+ gets the rights simply because we already have to pay for it in order to watch the CL. I think ESPN could do more for Serie A though. I was seeing some of the graphics and statistics that were used for the Bundesliga and noticed how much better they were. Der Klassiker was on ABC today which was pretty cool as well.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, ESPN has done more for the Bundesliga in less than one season than the 3 seasons they had Serie A.

scirea6 and juveeer repped this.
  20. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well it’s easier when you got a bunch of American players playing in that league and the fact people attend games in Germany and the German stadiums don’t like they were all built to host the Olympic track games.

SF19 repped this.
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBS Sports has won the rights to Serie A for the next three seasons. They will show games on CBSN as well as Paramount+

usnroach and juveeer repped this.
  22. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see how they do with the rights. Hopefully they try and bring strong production value and people that know Serie A.

For me, NBC Sports and the EPL coverage is the best followed by ESPN. Hopefully CBS steps up, using the history of Serie A and traditions in place, they can really make it their own. With the Champions League obviously.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was confirmed that CBS/Paramount+ will have Serie A and the Coppa Italia for the next 3 years. Word is it cost them $75 million a season for the rights, the highest ever for US tv rights.

usnroach repped this.
  24. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Having used both streaming services I think ESPN's is better, but we may get more play on CBS as ESPN also does the Bundesliga and a few other leagues at least in part.