The Open Championship

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Maczebus, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Does it need an 'R'? I don't know.

Anyway, noticed no-one had started one yet.
    Have to admit I didn't get to see a lot of it today but within what little I did see I noticed a nice links course type of 'breeze'.

The story of the opening day is thus:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/4684083.stm

The leaderboard is thus:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/4681455.stm

Tiger's got a 1 shot lead. At 6 under.
    Of the other 'usual suspects' - Els and Mickelson are both having relative shockers at 2 over.

2. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    I had a bet on Adam Scott at 33-1, but -3 is too far back to catch Tiger now!

The only thing that can possibly stop him, is the weather and the forecast is pretty good for the next 2 days with plenty of sunshine and moderate breezes!

Monty could get close if Tiger goes tits up, but I don't fancy Vijay on a links course, he's a target golfer IMHO :)

3. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
  4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It's been good to see Monty playing well as he gets so much stick. Also nice to see Ole playing well, he only got his spot when Seve pulled out.

I still expect Tiger to win but there could be some surprises in the last round.

5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I was actually suprised Tiger won. Saturday was his "bad" day with lots of people, especially early in the day, making big moves. Then the wind kicked up.

Sunday, Tiger plodded along around even to -1 for most of it and missed a couple of makeable birdie putts. If Jose or Montgomerie could have applied some pressure early it would have been a shoot out. As it was neither could make a move and Tiger went along with relative ease not having to make birdies.

Anyone else suprised the way he played 18? fairway is 101 yards wide and he hits an iron? Smart play for sure, but not what I expected unless his emotions got to him and he was afraid of shanking one into the bleachers.

6. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    It went pretty much as I expected and the wind did not get up, which helped Tiger tremendously, it was just a breeze!!!

I think if Tiger had hit a wood up 18 he was in danger of reaching the OOB, so it was a wise move to hit an iron, just as John Daly did!

Technology has moved the game on so much it is barely believable that Jack Nicklaus was so good playing these same courses without it - Peter Allis said as Jack played 18, if he had played all his majors, one and a half shots better per championship, he would have won another 17 majors - Jack is the best ever, by far IMHO and Tom Watson was awesome as well!!!

Tiger hit a 400 yard drive during the Championship, but many moons ago, I remember Tom hitting the ball 480 yards down the 18th at Gleneagles in a pro-celebrity thingy, with a wooden wood :)