The ONLY rapids DP thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by scheck, Jun 24, 2007.

1. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've seen an overbearing amount of DP threads lately, so I figured we could just lump them all into here. Do what you like with this one, mods.

So far, these players have been mentioned on the boards.

Riquelme
    Christian Vieri
    Rivaldo
    Calderon
    (rumored to have already signed deal with rapids)

My choice? (as dreamy as it may be)

This poofy haired kid from the mexican team.

Guardado
    [​IMG]

Maybe the rapids could snag him before he goes off to europe. It would be the ultimate signing for the rapids in terms of butts in seats and productivity as it would fill our left mid hole.

2. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for starting this thread, scheck. Good idea to consolidate, and since prk was feeling "Polish" the other day and is feeling hungover today, here is how I'm handling it...

June transfer window and Riquelme thread still open here, but maybe I should close it.
    Vieri thread is here. It was short and it is closed.
    Rivaldo thread is here. It was very short, and it is closed.
    Calderon thread is still open here, because the rumors are still out there.

Please, folks, do not start threads for each player that you would like, in your wildest dreams, to have as a DP. Better to consolidate all speculation to one thread. Thanks.

3. rockymtn.mike

rockymtn.mike Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Lochbuie, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Alvaro Recoba is a name I want to throw out there. He is not going back to Inter and he is getting a lil older. Just throwing it out there. :)

4. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I would love for the Rapids to sign a player like Guardado. That is what a DP should be, a player who is world class and young enough to last 5 years in this League. I'm sick and tired of these names that keep showing up of 35-40 year old players looking for a place to retire. That does absolutely nothing for the image of this league. I don't want MLS to turn into the NASL which was nothing but a retirement league for the world. MLS is already head and shoulders above that joke of a league. I watched the Cosmos loose to the 2nd division Freiburg (Germany) when I was a teenager in Germany and man was that a joke of a team. The NASL had nothing (absolutely nothing) on the MLS and don't let anyone try to tell you it did. I just wish ESPN classic would play NASL games on occasion so you could judge for yourselves. That was crap ball plain and simple.

If a 37 year old still has what it takes and wants to give MLS a try, then great, just don't sign him as a DP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ts77rapids

ts77rapids New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Denver
    I personally wouldn't mind Riquelme coming over here.

But it's not gonna happen.

6. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would not mind seeing Riquelme or Guardado in a Rapids Kit. But the news continues to be Calderon.

7. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind seeing a forward like Archie Thompson from Melbourne. Got to love a guy a who scored 13 goals in one game for his country (even though it was against American Samoa)

8. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riquelme would be a great addition based on pure skills, but I highly doubt the Rapids would dish out the kind of dough he would command

Guardado is pretty darn good and I would love to see him in a Rapids kit as well. Another Tri I'd love to see the Rapids go after when he becomes available is Castillo....that guy has unbelievable balls skills and vision....but I think he is under contract for a bit.

I'm not at all sold on the Calderon deal.....his age combined with Clavijo's penchant for wasting forwards sounds like a waste of $$$ to me. Besides, wouldn't a "name" Mexican player draw more from the local Hispanic population?

We need someone to compliment Herc...not another Roberto Brown.

9. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can use this guy pictured below, he is only 23 with speed and technical skill.(for those of you not aware its Fernando Torres)

[​IMG]
    But lets come back to earth, because we might not get one till next year...

10. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm living in Argentina now, and thought y'all would be interested that the local papers say Calderon has signed with the Rapids and it will be announced tomorrow or Thursday. (According to Clarin....)

11. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link, or is it only in print editions?

12. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it in the print, but am looking for a link now.

EDIT: http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/06/26/deportes/d-05201.htm

"José Luis Calderón se iría al Colorado Rapids de la MLS de Estados Unidos y el jueves lo anunciaría en una conferencia de prensa."

José Luis Calderón is going to Colorado Rapids of MLS of the US and on Thursday will announce it in a press conference.

It doesn't say anything else about Calderón - it's an article about all the movements of players this off-season.

13. redcard1998

redcard1998 New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Anyone have any goal highlight clips of Calderon? I'm excited to see that a DP slot is being actively pursued, as I'll be moving to CO soon ... can't wait to see your fantastic new stadium & current stars too.

14. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Colorado Redcard! Always nice to have another soccer fan around :)

15. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why isn't there a Big Announcement on the Rapids website, if you were the owner wouldn't you post something on the teams webstie.No hints or anything but to keep you going, like they did with the name change...:confused:

16. bobshlo311

bobshlo311 New Member

Jul 20, 2006
  17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Could be they're holding off until Thursday.

It could be that the move isn't going to happen, after all.

It could be that it'll just take them awhile. Think of how many RapidFire's got sent out with an incorrect domain name.

Maybe the person in charge of the announcement is too busy giving Iverson lessons on how to avoid kicking naked women out of his house and then chasing them down with a gun.

18. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have to take South American (and European) transfer reports with a grain of salt. Last year the Argentine papers were reporting that it was a done deal the Pekerman was going to be the next US head coach and FC was going to be his assistant. I'll believe it when Calderon is introduced holding a Rapids jersey.

19. dmoney21

dmoney21 New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    i just think instead of the rapids getting all these nearly retiring players they should give some youth players a chance.i mean look at wayne rooney,ronaldo and others,even if they become really good it will only be good for the Rappids as im sure they will get alot of money from selling the players to european clubs and also be good for the MLS. I wanna try out for the rapids u23 only bad thing is that i live in the UK :(

20. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like when Figo was introduced holding an Al-Ittihad jersey? ;)

21. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got me there

22. teddy_montoya

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda gettin sick of this already, ethier hiscoming or not. We need a striker and left mid, we haven't waived anybody or picked up anybody. Again the FO and FC continue to show support to a lineup that has lost four straight.

We need changes soon, and by that I mean by early-mid July, not in late august or early sept....

23. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calderon has rejected Colorado's offer.

http://www.diariohoy.net/notas/verN...254/Calder%F3n-a-un-paso-de-jugar-en-Arsenal/

His coach at Estudiantes, Diego Simeone, won't promise him a starting role, and was close to signing with Colorado. However, the offer from Arsenal (not the one in London - the one from Sarandía, Buenos Aires) to play in the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana was more attractive.

"El goleador habría desechado la oferta del Colorado Rápids de Estados Unidos porque la propuesta de Arsenal, que jugará Libertadores y Sudamericana, lo seduce más desde el punto de vista deportivo"

24. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too upset about this. Not convinced he would have had a huge effect on us.

On another note...I said this once before and it is probably just a pipe dream but....I would LOVE to see us go after Nery Castillo. Did anyone watch him against Brazil tonight? That kid is something special.

Not to mention....a signing like that would make us sell out the Dick every game....there are enough Hispanics here that know about him that would come out to see him play.

Oh well...never hurts to dream :)

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

If Clavijo had a win for every skilled player he didn't get, he'd actually have assembled a decent team.