The only other acceptable United: Loudoun

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Jan 29, 2019.

1. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    Well, there's people commuting in from Loudoun County, Prince William County, and points further to SE DC, so no matter where you put it, there will be people who have to go a long distance. That said, SE DC is more central within the metro DC area, so this probably will make it tougher for more people. Imagine having to go from, say, Annapolis to Leesburg?

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "The Terps return home {Ludwig Field, College Park} on Sunday, April 7 when they face new DC United affiliated USL squad Loudoun United at 1 p.m."

Winoman repped this.
  3. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed, the commuting and travel issue is a real problem with a lot of the academies. With as spread out, as some of our cities are, the commuting is a real problem.

I read an article where Tyler Adams said he was commuting an hour and half each way to the Red Bulls training facility. He said he would do homework in the car, while his mom drove.

If a player doesn't have a drivers license or a car...and has parents that both work...How is that player going to commute an hour and half to practice?

I wonder if more teams will look to set up a dormitory type set up, or some other living arrangement, to reduce the commuting time, and to make it possible for players that live further from the training facility to be part of the academy

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tickets for the first LUFC game at Audi are on sale - looks like it's GA, and the cost came out to about $27 and some change on Ticketmaster, fees included.

Winoman repped this.
  5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Is anyone covering Loudoun like a real team? Goff mentioning Visa issues at the bottom of the DCU recap and nothing on the official team website other than a couple of press quotes and a stats page.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see game reports as well as other Loudoun County United news on Black & Red United's website.

7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appropriately, LU posted its first win in an away game vs undefeated (?) RB II , 3-1. Congrats, guys!

fatbastard, Winoman, benni... and 2 others repped this.
  8. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on this quote, you're overqualified.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #84 fatbastard, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    [sorry if you read what this post used to say, the event was for a previous game but they tweeted about it today for some reason]

re-edit - I'm putting it back.
    even though the event page this story links to says April 13th, they assure me they do a watch party for every game - including this Friday at 7:30 (tomorrow). It still sounds/looks(on the web) like a snooty place I wouldn't go to (or be welcome at), but who knows. I will go to Loudoun Brewing Co and try the beer for sure.

From founding fathers to football clubs — there are lots of firsts happening this weekend! Watch our Loudoun United FC team’s very first soccer match in the District at The National Conference Center’s Black Olive Bar & Grill! Join in the festivities at this Watch Party with the full Black Olive menu and two drink specials: The Unite-A-Rita and Loudoun Brewing Company's new soccer-inspired brew, Unified Plus, if you want to see the match in person, The National can take you to and from our team’s “home away from home,” the Audi Field!

Winoman repped this.
  10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been there for a work training thing. It was pretty nice.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see this name on a game-related thing again :)

Winoman, song219 and pr0ner repped this.
  12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said the same thing on Twitter when I noticed that pop up Saturday night.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loudoun isn't doing too terribly considering how haphazard the team construction appeared to be. 2-3-3 record after 8 games; 2-2-1 in their last 5.

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to figure out how to get tickets (real tickets) to the Charleston game at the new place in August - guess I should force myself to go to a watch-party and talk to some LoCo ticket guys :)
    It's been nice to read coverage of the games in the local papers, they hardly ever mentioned DCU.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Has anyone else noticed that their using field turf for the new Loudoun stadium? I'm pretty disappointed. I don't like watching games played on the fake stuff.

ejs1111, TimB4Last and sitruc repped this.
  16. Gittnbizzee

Gittnbizzee Member+

Dec 14, 2006
    LoCo Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We drove by last weekend. What's worse is it was already a beautiful grassy meadow before construction, and there's a pretty grassy hillside. Grass is native to these parts, I don't understand the turf at all.

ejs1111, bigredfutbol, TimB4Last and 2 others repped this.
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's less expensive to maintain than natural grass. That's all you need to know about these owners.

ejs1111, dadman, UnitedBorn and 2 others repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If done properly, that's not necessarily true. No chance it will be maintained as it should be.

ejs1111, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First the dumb-ass F_C_, then the glue-on fake turf - that's two strikes and they haven't even played their first real home game yet.

ejs1111 and sitruc repped this.
  20. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Unless you do a shitty job of maintaining the fake stuff (which loads of places do).

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #96 song219, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    For a well done pump and dump you need new shiny things you can show potential buyers. You don't want to buy anything you'd have to spend your own money to maintain.

UnitedBorn repped this.
  22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Loudoun United have acquired midfielder Carlos Alvarez for the remainder of the 2019 inaugural season.

“Adding a player with Carlos’ pedigree and experience is a tremendous boost to the team on and off the field as we push for the playoffs.” Ryan Martin, Loudoun United Head Coach, said. “He is an attacker who is very good at scoring and creating goals. Even in his short time here he has been a great mentor to the younger guys and a key contributor in trainings. We are excited to welcome Carlos to Loudoun United.”

Alvarez joins Loudoun United after one season (2017-2018) with Las Vegas Lights FC, a USL Championship team. In his time with Las Vegas he scored six goals and added four assists. Alvarez is from Los Angeles, Ca., and is a veteran in the USL. At 28-years-old, the former Chivas USA number two pick in the 2013 MLS Superdraft has played for seven teams between MLS and USL. Alvarez has 162 total professional appearances in his career, scoring 19 career goals and recording 16 assists.

https://www.loudoununitedfc.com/news_article/show/1035510

Winoman and pr0ner repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New shot with more bleachers up, Juvi (iirc) prison in background

[​IMG]

Adler and Winoman repped this.
  24. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    It looks rickety. :sick:
    That's one way to keep-out the ruffian SG element: build stands so flimsy that the LUFC FO has to post signs like "Bounce at your own risk, you d****bags"

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #100 fatbastard, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    It looked fairly solid when we drove past last week. The stand with the name was not there and we were hoping folks would be allowed on the grassy hill but I doubt they'll let fans be on softer surfaces than the players and the players don't get any grass.

sitruc repped this.