The On-going Never-ending Brexit Story Part Four

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How d'yer think WE feel :(

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    @Yoshou, I think I told you wrong about when the next UK general election would be. It's no later than 5 years from the last, held in December 2019, which is when Boris Johnson took over from Theresa May and there was a mandate for pushing through Brexit, because people are dumb.

For some reason, I had 2018 in my head, so I told you it would be next year. Nope! I think it has to happen, if a general election isn't forced sooner, around December 2024, maybe a month later even. So, a possible 2 years of Truss.

Yoshou repped this.
  3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is the beauty of the parliamentary system though. She won't last 2 years in my opinion.

The internals of her own party will over throw her in my opinion. Either literally by removal. Or by proxy with her essentially becoming a lame duck PM because she can't get a damn thing passed through parliament.

It's no coincidence she backed down on 45p. I think there was so much back channeling happening that her people came to realize that mini budget wasn't passing.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    IIRC '23 was widely discussed as a potential election year

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Historically it was always said the worst thing a government could do was to leave it till to the last minute to hold a GE because it meant they wouldn't be in control of the timing and the situation at that point might be disastrous for them, politically.

It was introduced because the LibDems and tories wanted to have a good run at being in power after 2010 and didn't want to be pushed into an early GE because of 'events', (or 'reality' as it's sometimes known).

But that rather had the mockers put on it after the 2015 tory win and we had the 2017 GE, (which Theresa May unwisely thought was a great idea), and then the 2019 one in which Boris Johnson promised 'levelling up' and 'no going back to austerity'. That is the mandate in existence atm.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    AFAIK a lot of tory MPs haven't turned up to the tory conference because they're 'on manoeuvres', (as the phrase had it), and want to be able to distance themselves from what they think will be a disastrous Truss 'experiment'.

Don't forget, Truss only got 14% of the available MP's votes on the first round and came in THIRD in every subsequent round until the last one.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...p-election-full-results-liz-truss-rishi-sunak

Truss is only there because she was the ANYONE BUT RISHI candidate.

They have zero loyalty to her. Well, they're tories... they don't have any loyalty anyway, do they but y'now what I mean.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chaos among the Tories. Just slinging mud at each other now.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I guess that is what happens when you exclude cabinet in the modern style but then reveal no 10 is run by bumbling clowns who have no experience in running an actual country

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the position atm with tory MP's...

Truss’s benefits plans and why many Tories are sticking up for claimants

The push to stealthily cut benefits by dropping the pledge for them to rise in line with inflation might once have been catnip to Conservative MPs and party members.

But the Tories have changed fundamentally since the days of George Osborne’s “strivers versus skivers” comments and the pernicious influence that rhetoric had on the national debate, leading to programmes such as Benefits Street.

Now multiple cabinet ministers have told the Guardian privately they are determined to halt the prospect of linking benefits to wage growth rather than inflation, a significant real terms cut for the incomes of the poorest in society.

Whether the tories have 'changed fundamentally' is extremely questionable.

The thing to bear in mind is that tory MP's aren't concerned about the poor or unemployed suffering. The only ones they want to protect are THEMSELVES.

THAT'S the only job THEY want to protect.

Mike03 and American Brummie repped this.
  10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    £18bn of cuts to pay for corporation tax reduction. That's only going to increase the switchers.

The "Red Wall" looks like it's being rebuilt even higher.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There has been a fundamental shift on the right away from libertarian style policies of the 80s towards using the power of government for a populist agenda e.g to bring about the conservative dream state of singapore on the thames.

Although that is mostly a scam, you can see why MPs want to keep that rhetoric

12. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Chaos.

1577303194224529408 is not a valid tweet id

superdave repped this.
  14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    All the work Cameron did to detoxify the brand has been ruined by 3 years of Johnson lies and 3 weeks of Truss' ideological zeal.

15. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    You know you're in trouble when "woman" is one of the most positive things people have to say about you.

16. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Braverman bravely going to the places that will make Priti Patel look like a bleeding heart liberal.

1577176494266146816 is not a valid tweet id

17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm always impressed how closely aligned the American right and British right are.

18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They're on the same payroll!

MattR, The Jitty Slitter, Mike03 and 4 others repped this.
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The ex-editor of The Sun, (intriguingly), has some interesting thoughts on Liz from marketing and the subject of this thread, particularly his thoughts at about 4:30...

... as Yelland says, 'This all goes back to brexit and we're left with idiots or people who were prepared to compromise their own beliefs for the benefit of their careers'.

20. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I assume Rupert Murdoch is writing the checks.

21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Labour are anywhere from 15-35% ahead in the polls.
    There is simply no need for this from the Shadow Chancellor. It's truly appalling to hear this about people who are mostly genuine asylum seekers from anyone not on the right, and especially from someone in the Labour party.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

Some aspects of that really jump out

1. During the leadership fiasco, they spent weeks talking to their own tiny membership during a crisis while Boris was on holiday - that was a huge mistake to ignore the public, while displaying silly non reality based infighting

2. The Truss government simply cannot confront reality (Brexit)

3. They are effectively an insurgency against the cameron years - which is frankly bizarre seeing they have been in government since 2010

4. Including so many zealots in no 10 is bonkers - you need actual experience of running the country

lanman repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I like to point out that Murdoch has never lost an election

He jumped to Blair's neo-liberal agenda in 1997 then switched horses back to Cameron in the run up to 2010, even getting a former stooge Andy Coulson as his "press advisor" in No 10

I wouldn't be surprised if he abandons Truss if Starmer pitched the right economic agenda

24. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Truss walks out for her speech to Moving On Up by M-People, which contains the line: "Move right out of here, baby, go on pack your bags".

25. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    The lack of self awareness is staggering