The On-going Never-ending Brexit Story Part Four

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    I know this is off topic, but looking at the last page maybe not so much. Can one of the natural english speakers maybe tell mit what is considered the stronger word in therms of more crazy than the other? Nutter or lunatic?

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Probably nutter. IMO the nearest American equivalent would be "wacko".

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably about the same but 'nutter' seems like they might be a lot of fun to have around :D

lanman and American Brummie repped this.
  4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Lunatic feels a bit more clinical, Nutter more like the really weird guy in the pub.

"Don't go anywhere near him, he's a lunatic"
    "Don't mind Steve, he's just the local nutter"

5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    As I was saying, Sunak really should be looking far closer to home for the extremist threats.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was gonna say, if he's that bothered about people who are setting out to divide us he should maybe check out his reflection in the mirror.

American Brummie repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm retired but I think I could hold down a job for this lot, even now...

lanman repped this.
  8. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    This really doesn't come as a shock.

9. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    They have nothing left but scorched earth

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the tories do it, it will only be the kindergarten version that people can easily sidestep. I say punish them by making one that can't be sidestepped.

11. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Here's more of the fair and representative media coverage that Reform get.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love the way the premise of this is put forward...

'He's not the leader of a party. He's not an MP and, in fact, he's never got anywhere NEAR becoming an MP. The only political success he had was in the very thing he wanted us to leave... and yet... AND YET... I'm gonna talk to him :)'.

Well, I've got an idea Nick... what about NOT fecking talking him? EH?! What about THAT as a concept :) :mad: ... yer fecking pratt!!!

Is it just me or am I losing some of my calm and placid demeanour when discussing this stuff?

Yes, yes, I think I may be :(

13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    You're starting to lose it! :whistling:

upload_2024-3-3_19-55-3.gif

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002

We can't read too much into a single poll, but this has quite a few interesting elements.

At a General Election, would leave the Tories with 25 seats. Sunak, Hunt, Braverman, Badenoch, Gove, Truss all out.
    Tories in single figures among the under 35s.
    Sunak at -54 net favourability, with 73% dissatisfied. Starmer at -26, 55%. Davey at -22, 40%.
    Government net favourability -73, with 83% dissatisfied (so at least Sunak is outperforming his party).
    Only 62% of the Tory vote saying they are certain to vote. Labour at 76%.
    Lib Dems would become the official opposition.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would have to be preeety big barmaid to be able to pick me up and toss me anywhere.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think, at this point, they're being actively harmed by all this culture wars and woke nonsense.

Faux News in the states has been going for 27 years and the Fairness Doctrine was done away with in 1987 so they've had decades of major TV news outlets telling bald-faced lies with no consequences. GB News over here has only been going since 2020 and even though we had the hate-mail, scum and sexpress for years, printed newspapers, (and certainly the tabloids), have always been seen as less trustworthy over here.

We also have Ofcom which, at least nominally, is meant to apply broadcasting rules. I'm just hopeful that labour will give it some teeth or, at least, make it apply the rules as they're written instead of cowering in fear of the punishment beating a tory minister will give it if they do what they're supposed to do.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. :D

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2024-3-4_7-9-59.jpeg

19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A lot of it is just bafflingly dumb politics - e.g. raging on about small boats when you are the government and can't stop them.

20. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    We're finally going to get to the election, see Rees-Mogg voted out and the big reveal will be that he's actually Sacha Baron Cohen who's been stringing us all on throughout.

superdave and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How many people drink cashew, almond or oat milk?

But, yeah. The fact that guy's an MP only goes to show we're not a very serious country. Mind you, the yanks had donny tiny hands, the Iti's had Berlusconi so maybe we're not so bad after all.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As I said

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Only it's not just a single opinion poll putting the Tories on 20%. YouGov have had two polls in the last month - on February 22nd and January 25th - with them on the same number.
    The Tories are now the most popular party only among the over-70s, 43% of whom back the party. This is down from 67% in 2019, however, with Labour being the main beneficiaries, having increased their vote share among the oldest Britons from 14% to 23%.
    Britons in their 60s are split, with 33% backing Labour and 31% the Conservatives. The majority of Britons under-50 now say they will vote Labour.
    https://yougov.co.uk/politics/artic...ain-voting-as-we-enter-the-2024-election-year
    There's usually a swing back to the incumbent and over the last 60 years the UK average has, apparently, been 2.8%, but even if you double that - which would still leave them over 6% behind the Corbyn disaster in 2019 - the Tories would reach 100 seats but would they reach 130?

Italy's Christian Democrats discovered to their cost that parties once thought "the natural party of government" can be steamrollered and then obliterated by structural change in a society.

As with Italy, the UK will always have a strong Right wing party but it won't necessarily be the Tory Party and if it does carry that name, it could be a very different party - further to the right and even more nativist, with its moderate voters drifting to the Lib Dems.

24. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    This would equate to a 300+ litre fuel tank.
    What is he driving?

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't you seen him driving around?

[​IMG]

Hard to miss the Gullis-mobile I'd have thought.