The Oita Trinita Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by shuvy87, Dec 11, 2009.

1. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  2. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  3. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Oita Trinita Controversy Thread

Not quite; that's really a goal set by the team.

Considering that all of their top players are bailing, the uniform sponsor issues, the stadium naming eights issues, saying "okay, let's take a couple years to right the ship properly" is a smart move.

5. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Well, Oita have certainly pulled an "Ipswich", haven't they? A magical year in the top flight, followed up a year ending in relegation.

6. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Or Hertha BSC Berlin is the next "Oita" this season in Germany, just 6 points out of 16 games so far

7. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

I don't think Oita will even be in position to get promoted anytime soon...

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Official non-League Club Football Thread [R] - part 2

I actually think every thread should have an adjective/noun to describe it, but not necessarily "controversy"

I think this should look better as Oita Trinita's "Misery" Thread, but it is up to the one who starts it to decide, I suppose.

9. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official non-League Club Football Thread [R] - part 2

SEE! You're arguing!

CONTROVERSY!!!!!

I just yellow carded you for that and you didn't even know it :p

10. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

I'm guessing this means J2's 4th place would get promoted if Oita makes the top 3.

11. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Basically it looks as a JFL-like situation, where Oita is not a "J1 associate member"

Wow this is very controversial! I feel like arguing about it!!!!! :eek:

12. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

One of the article that I provided mentioned that J.League will discuss promotion issues for this type of situation.

What I don't understand is, if the clubs knows that it will take them at least three years to return to J1, why don't they just rebuild the club from a scratch.

1) Sell all the current players with high wages - Transfer fee for Morishige is rumored to be 100 million yen. If they all the star players, like Takamatsu, Nishikawa, etc, they can earn about 500 million yen or more.

2) Get young and cheap players. Promote players from the youth system if necessary. If you have 20 players with average salary of 7 million yen each, your player payroll is only 140 million yen. Add club officials and a manager, bring that up to 200 million yen.

3) Manage about 300 million yen of sponsorship -a realistic goal for a J2 club. At this point, you can already can pay about about 3/4th of the debt.

I know its not as easy as it sounds, because there are other cost for hosting games, fees for renting the stadium and training facility, etc, but its something manageable in a year or two, if the club really desires to do so. Once the financial situation settles, they can work on promoting back to J2.

13. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

Some clubs would kill to have a budget even half of that. If Mito can be a J1 contender for most of the season with a budget of 85 MILLION, Oita has no excuse whatsoever and could only fear the change of shaking the system up.

14. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

My impression is that this is one of those exercises in "expectations management". From a purely financial standpoint Oita could probably pay off the debt in one year (as Shuvy has already outlined). It would require some really drastic changes in the entire team organization . . . but it could be done.

However, if the team goes the "drastic" route, then it will probably be 3 or 4 years before they are competitive enough to finish in the top three anyway. And selling off ALL of the popular players would probably scare off some fans as well. It isnt as if there are no alternative teams to support in Northern Kyushu. So by announcing in advance that the financial restructuring will take four years, they can achieve two goals at the same time - reduce the pressure to sell too many players all at once, and prepare the fans for a bit of a wait until they return to J1.

Considering all the derby matches theyll be playing next year, I predict that the financial rebuilding goes faster than expected, and next year at this time they will make a big deal of announcing that they have "accelerated" the timetable and now they plan to pay it off in time for promotion in 2013 (Goru, you can resurrect this post a year from now to see if Im right ;) .

In actual fact though, a three-year timetable is probably realistic. Consadole restructured and regained the J1 that fast, and if you start the time table of Ventforet's restructuring from the point where the government kicked in money, they were challenging for promotion within 2 1/2 years and made it into J1 in 3 1/2.

16. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

As long as you hold up to the promises. The last thing the supporters want to see is, when 2013 come and they are still in debt.

Meanwhile, I think most star players mentioned that they will not likely to stay at Oita, if they cannot bounce back up in a year. (Koshigaya's article)

17. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Its a shame . . . but Oita can only blame themselves.

Apparently the J.League is determined that Oita sell off most of the top players or they wont get any more money. I think the initial plans Oita submitted for trying to keep some of the top prospects around went over like a lead balloon. I guess this means its now open season on Morishige, Nishikawa, Fujita, Fukaya, Ienaga, Morishima, Maeda and Higashi. . . .

19. m_darmanto

m_darmanto Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

I thought Oita is a financially stable club. Compared to another J2 clubs, they have a big and famous stadium. Why this could happened to them?

20. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

1. No one likes a losing team
    2. No one wants to watch boring football

Unfortunately for Oita, they suffer from both.

21. m_darmanto

m_darmanto Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

They could get 4th place in 2008 season and relegated at the next season. Why?

22. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Because this is not the EPL. :D

To be honest, the 4th place finish last season almost seemed lucky. They did have the stingiest defense in the league, but I wasn't convinced.

Anyone who watches the J-League should know that just because your team finished in the top half doesn't mean anything the next season.

Unless your the Kashima Antlers of course.

23. Vendo Thefastlane

Jul 16, 2009
    Mito, Ibaraki
    Club:
    --other--

Just like any team could be they had a big slump to begin. Then the pressure to recover. Then the drastic attempt to recover by changing up the staff, which caused more panic.

You could see that pressure was the main cause. Once relegated, they played much better and pulled off the bottom of the table.

24. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Their fan base wasnt the problem. The problem was that management sucked, and squandered a lot of money on things that were not worth the investment.

Essentially what happened was that Oita took their fourth-place finish last year too seriously, and the management gambled big on trying to put together a team that could get an ACL spot this year. I think they made Ueslei their highest-paid player ever, at the start of the season, and he barely lasted six months. But he was hardly the only player they threw money at. Then a major percentage of their expensive players got hurt, which not only hurt their win/lost record but also left the team with no money to bring in subs at midseason. Furthermore, Oita was never a very wealthy team to begin with, and they lost their chest sponsor Maruhan at the end of last season. The fan numbers couldnt possibly make up for that big a drop in revenues.

Ive only seen a very general summary of the data on their finances this past season, but even what I have seen suggests that the team was gambling with their future, and based their budget on a number of bad assumptions -- not only higher attendances but also another cup win or a top-three finish, at a minimum. Even that would have left them just breaking even. To put it in basic terms, it was the equivalent of betting the house on a pair of aces. It isnt such a big surprise that they lost everything.

25. m_darmanto

m_darmanto Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

Thanks Matsu for the explanation. They're just almost look like what happened with Leeds United. I hope their relegation to J2 become a purgatory for them and could learn all the mistakes in the past.