The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's the point. If Benzema would have been dropped every time he missed big chances he'd be an Arsenal player 4 years ago or so

MaxY, Ahmadi8, yoanaidarov and 1 other person repped this.
  2. 2Magia2

2Magia2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 17, 2018
    It would be fine if Zidane gave the same treatment to everyone not just Jovic. Benzema has been as poor as Jovic the past 10 12 games. Yet he starts each and every game.

I dont think anybody here is demanding Jovic to start over BenzeGod. But atleast give him may be a 30 mins run for a few games. Help him settle like he has been helping Benzema all these years.

3. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't know what to tell you guys... welcome to life; it isn't fair.

Then you aren't reading some of these posters post.

All I've said is exactly what you said here; unrealistic to expect Florentino's son and Zidane younger brother to not start. However Zidane should give more minutes.

I also stated Jovic should have done more (Eddie he missed quite a few sitters, let's not change history) with the opportunities.

4. 2Magia2

2Magia2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 17, 2018
    What we are saying is it wouldnt really matter. If it did then Mariano should be starting. He has done the best with whatever little opportunities he has got. I would be surprised if he sees more than 8 mins in next game.

5. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I think it's asinine to believe all it takes is one good substitute performance to start automatically. What it should equate to is more sub minutes.

The reality is Zidane is prioritizing Benzema finding his form again because we're screwed in CL without it. This for me isn't an issue, I just believe we should pull him faster and give others more minutes.

However if you don't do anything with the minutes we need to see what the other guy can do.

That is the reality.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Either way i don't care, but we're really burning through a ton of cash with those striker transfers for so many years now.

MaxY repped this.
  7. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  8. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    2nd best cb in the world behind Ramos at the moment.

9. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was really good today. If only he could add a few goals from setpieces on the other end....a part of the his game that’s never really materialized.

Prit Javier repped this.
  10. madridista_hr

madridista_hr Red Card

Real Madrid
    May 21, 2009
    Here
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Sorry, but not really. The way Rodrigo left him in the dust before hitting the post is something 2nd best CB in the world doesn't allow in the whole season. I understand this is semi-preseason for everybody regarding match fitness, but from my point of view, he needs to improve his concentration to be considered [one of] the best at the position. He's wonderful defender, though, having out of the world physical and technical capabilities.

Prit Javier repped this.
  11. Jonah_98

Jonah_98 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    For me he is even the best defender in the world right now. Absolutely amazing!

Lyra repped this.
  12. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I have no idea who the second best is but you are basing your idea on one play? Seems a bit harsh and easily applied to any defender currently playing, personally I wouldn’t change Rafa for any other defender, they all make mistakes at some point, no absolute perfect players out there an underrated player by some

13. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane for me is an all time great. Never gets the credit he deserves.

Eddie and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Has Ramos retired?

15. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Quality defender in 1v1 but too passive. Ramos is more aggressive and takes far more risks but Ramos allows the rest of the team play better because of how he defends. He tries to win the ball early to stop opposition plays developing.

Ramos for me is the bravest defender I’ve ever seen, not just in terms of personal courage but in terms of accepting responsibility and risk against attackers. He’s a dream as a captain (apart from when he’s renegotiating his contract).

I see a different kind of steel in Varane.

16. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well Ramos is one of the best ever if not the best ever.

Varane is also an all time great just not quite at Ramos level. Thankfully they compliment each other well.

17. Jonah_98

Jonah_98 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    Ramos is one of the greatest defenders of all time, but in this season Varane is even more impressive in my opinion.

18. Prit Javier

Prit Javier Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    May 9, 2018
    I wouldn't say great in defending but more of fighter and mental strength. For me his defensive skills are not as good as a Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta , Bergomi, Ferrera. But he scores goals which many defenders don't.

19. madridista_hr

madridista_hr Red Card

Real Madrid
    May 21, 2009
    Here
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I could be asking too much of him. Also, maybe I could give him a benefit of doubt for this type of errors since playing in Real Madrid is another world of "game difficulty settings" for defenders.

I don't follow other teams too much, but I know this is the type of error I don't consider the best defenders should be doing at all. Like GK dropping the ball out of his hands. It can happen even to the best, but I feel Rafa is too often for my liking guilty of similar things and mostly compensates by his speed.

Am I overreacting?

20. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Varane is not aggressive enough for me. He is not consistent in his marking. He lets his opponents slip away ... leaving them too much space. He is not the type of defender who would be constantly reading the game and take risk with his interception.
    I know we already have Ramos for that, and sometimes it’s good to have a different type of defender on the other side, but he is too passive in this department for me.
    However, he is strong, fast and his tackling is world class. But that’s simply not enough. He is still among the world best, but that’s because there are very very few elite CBs out there.
    I don’t know who i would pick besides Ramos and Van Dijk. Most of the supposedly world class defenders are really just “good” if not “average”!

madridista_hr repped this.
  21. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I completely disagree with this
    Well, for a defender on any team I support, that’s good enough for me and IMO Rafa adds smarts to that and can pass both long and short, ivory good with the ball at his feet, f you can keep a high level over several seasons and help the team to win multiple trophies, like Rafa has, yeah, I’m good

As for Van dumb EPL and Liverpool hype at the moment, keep that level for a few years and maybe win some trophies and then we can talk about being in Rafa’s class, my view

hala_madrid722, Ahmadi8 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
  23. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    go ******** yourself. you are awful fan of this club.

24. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As miserable as his performance was today, it's not what sank us. Truth of the matter is we needed 2 goals to go through, no matter what happened. We scored 1. Couldn't win without another, no matter how many errors Varane made.

The second one was truly astonishing though, you signaled to Jesus you were trying to head it when you missed the first. So, you can see he stops pressing and makes the run towards goal. Now, he's not on your back, no pressure, so control the ball with your foot and play it out. Mind blowing lack of composure.

25. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Sure, mathematically, but the team's approach to the game is completely different when you're up 1-0, vs. when you're 1-1, or when you're 1-1, vs. when you're down 1-2.

Shay Z and Saeta Rubia repped this.