The Official Welcome Keylor Navas Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lyra, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Wow , so Navas has won more trophies than games he played for us :D

Lyra, Tamed Giraffe, S1na and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Keylor will be a starter against Fiorentina on August 16. [marca]

S1na repped this.
  3. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad he is getting a game, and excited to see him play...but no clue why we are squeezing a friendly in between Sevilla and Atleti.

RMSocrates repped this.
  4. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Exactly. Earlier the Polish outlet Wezslo reported that match date may change or it could be cancelled due to the lack of tickets sold. Don't know what happened later...

S1na and MadridFan22304 repped this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Legit save

[​IMG]

FLiLv315, sleepyvato50, Zidane05 and 7 others repped this.
  6. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^
    It's just one reaction but I like the way he moves his head to see "what's going on" just before the shot.
    On top of his great agility, he seem to be really focused.

(not regarding this shot): I think he can improve the way he blocks the shots, after watching his highlight reels one thing that bothers me a little is that sometimes he blocks them into dangerous positions or block them when they could have been saved. (although it rarely happens). Other than that he seems to be a pretty damn fine keeper.

7. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this really detailed breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses before we bought him, and now I can't find it. :mad:

Fortunately, his strengths were far, far greater than his weaknesses.

8. DoYouEvenFutbol

Jul 8, 2014
    NEEDS TO ********ING START ALREADY.

Deep Pal repped this.
  9. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Iker won't last the year imo. Navas's time will come.

Deep Pal and kime777 repped this.
  10. DoYouEvenFutbol

Jul 8, 2014
    Yeah I have nothing against the mighty Iker. I'm just really excited to see what Navas can do! :D

11. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In the last 31 shots on target Casillas faced for Real Madrid, he conceded 25 goals while 2 hit the post.

Can't hate the legend, but there's simply no explanation for benching one of the best GKs around with ~90% save rate especially against Atleti, where set-pieces are as crucial as penalty kicks.

I think Navas will start vs Basel.

Edino Edinho, Eddie, MerlinRM and 3 others repped this.
  12. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So in short, Navas blocks approximately 90% of the shots while Casillas concedes almost 90% of the shots (posts included) taken on goal. I really wonder what he was told upon signing for Madrid.

Edino Edinho and kime777 repped this.
  13. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This guy is our new #1 goalkeeper. It will just be a matter of when?

Heck Iker was negotiating his way out of the club this summer until he tried to hold the club hostage for 30me. I don't know why Carlo/Perez are letting him when his heir is ready and waiting on the bench.

I wouldn't mind Keylor being our Liga and CL GK too and let Iker have the CDR.

kime777 repped this.
  14. kime777

kime777 Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I said it before, Carlo is too coward to change goalie. He made a choice and I don't think he will change.

Eddie and MerlinRM repped this.
  15. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

MerlinRM and S1na repped this.
  16. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hilarious how the same media that drove Diego out are now turning against Iker.

ahnaf repped this.
  17. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i hope he will start. it's time to try him

18. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Carlo is keeping some legit players on the bench, Navas is one of them. I really hope he becomes our #1 GK, asap.

Edino Edinho repped this.
  19. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So Ancelotti today in the press conference tried to avoid the GK questions.

He said Iker is number one and will start in the CL and La Liga. I have my own views on this but not for this thread.

My question is where does Navas fit in all this? Copa Del Rey games only? Even that isn't guaranteed at this point.

10 million euros.

kime777 repped this.
  20. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Navas fits in exactly where he knew he was likely to fit in.

We basically told him that he has the chance to get a massive pay raise, back up one of the best GKs in history and eventually take over for him, and play for the greatest club in history.

He is not young, but he is for a GK. His time will come. Iker is out of contract at the end of this year. Navas is biding his time.

One of the reasons the Lopez/Casillas situation was so toxic is that they are both basically the same age. There is clear succession here, where there was none previously.

Iker at the end of this season will likely have 3 opportunities:

1) re-sign here and retain the starting job if he is worthy.

2) re-sign here and be the CDR GK backing up Navas.

3) go somewhere else to start.

If Iker actually plays well enough to earn a new contract and be the clear starter in front of Navas, that's fine, we can sell Navas for profit if he doesn't want to stay.

If not, which is the likely scenario, then Navas gets minimal games this year but is the 1st choice undisputed GK going into next year.

In any event, for the club, one of the best GKs in the world had a cheap buy out so we pounced on it. 10 mil is nothing.

-Reivax-, S1na, natenate101 and 4 others repped this.
  21. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^ Which basically means he'll not be given any chance whatsoever to prove his mettle in order to start a game in Liga.
    Ancelotti said it's not even up to debate. He has fixed views about the situation and he just won't reply any further.
    Disappointing.

22. kime777

kime777 Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't want to be disrespectful, but the chance of that happening is 0.000000000000000001%

23. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cause they don't give a ********. They just want to sell papers and drive page clicks. They create the controversy where it is none, then churn stories based on it.

Make no mistake, if Navas was the starter right now, they would just find and replace the names, flip them, and stir it the other way saying Iker should start.

But it's also fan mentality. I know most people here don't watch American football, but there is a cliche that the most popular player on the team is always the backup quarterback. Why? Because every other position you sub players in and out. The quarterback plays every offensive play. So, the backup never plays. Much like the backup GK. And when the starting QB doesn't play well, everyone points to the backup and says, "this guy I haven't seen play could do better." Same thing happens to GKs.

It's why the same fans whistling Diego Lopez last year turned around on Saturday and whistled Iker Casillas, and would have been whistling Keylor Navas.

S1na, natenate101 and Horsehead repped this.
  24. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the season is long, and if there is silverware at the end of it...

but I agree in general. In fact, I think we are seeing Iker's swan song. I think he just walks away from Madrid on a free at the end of the year, regardless of results.

natenate101, Ahmadi8 and Lyra repped this.
  25. MadridFan22304

MadridFan22304 Member+

Apr 26, 2012
    DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, everything is always up for debate. What Carlo is doing is smartly keeping faith with his GK who as he said has not been directly responsible for any of the goals. If Iker starts letting in howlers, this will change. If not, there is no reason to change GKs. The reason Carlo is being so affirmative in his statements is he doesn't want the media to run with any quote to stir the pot further.

S1na and Lyra repped this.