The official we hate Chivas thread.....

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by Guinho, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Re: Question?

More clarity from a Tri supporter.

In very general terms, most USNT fans who do knock them back are into savoring a decent brew and the gameday experience. They normally don't regard beer as a form of Antifreeze that allows them to walk around in 19 degree weather with their jackets unzipped. Nor do USNT fans normally despose of empty containers by firing them onto the field.

I like the Tri and I dig Mexico. But Stateside Tri fans normally swim in a cesspool come gameday. Don't get indignant if we point that out. And if you want that image to change, work on it.

As for your cousins, who gives a rat's ass?

2. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Man, there's a lot of not-so-hidden racism in this thread. Get a life people.

I have Chivas for the only good reason to hate Chivas that exists at this time before a team is named and before any games are played; because they aren't the Chicago Fire.

Let things develop and let the season start and go with an open mind. We'll see what comes of it. MLS is doing this for all the right reasons from a business sense and that is to be applauded. I'm sure we all want the league to be successfull.

I welcome the Chivas ownership and their future players and whatever superior attitude they chose to bring (or not). There will be plenty of time to lay down the smack when they visit Soldier's Field and get a facefull of Section 8 luv.

I suggest the rest of you adopt the same attitude.

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Originally posted by Saeyddthe

I absolutely guarantee that more people in this country have heard of DC United than Chivas.

How can you guarantee this ?! Do you have any stats ??? Id imagine if DC U was as popular as Chivas they would hold regular friendlies outside of Washington and would pull in good attendance numbers..

4. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Facism..

Originally posted by BrooklynGladiator

you call it stupidity, i call it fascism

Viva Mussolini

dre

I dont think Mussolini would approve of a fellow Italian trying to act black, eh Dre..

Big Ups to Il Duce, LOL

:D :p

5. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    From all the mindless hate, pissing, and moaning on this thread I'm starting to become a MLS Chivas fan. I actually have high hopes that they bring a new look to the league, mirroring the diversity of our country in a small way. At any rate, Chivas is sure to create some rivalries.

Of course, when Chivas takes the field against the Galaxy, I'll be compelled to hate them then.

BTW - is it just my perception or does the majority of the hate and discontent for the whole Chivas deal come from fans of midwest and eastern teams? Perhaps it's because the Mexican food in those areas is so terrible that the locals haven't developed a fondness for something Mexican in origin.

6. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    VS,

Understanding that you are a diehard Chivas de Guadalajara fan, how do you look at the MLS Chivas team? Is it something you could support as a second favorite or does the fact that it's MLS and not your beloved MFL still going to keep you away?

7. BrooklynGladiator

BrooklynGladiator New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    big up to Brooklyn
    Re: Facism..

acting black how??because peolpe call me Dre because i share a name with my grandfather? that makes me black?? if i were actin black i wouldnt even know what my grandfathers name is or what his name was.....

dre

8. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    cl_hanley

At this point im not too sure about Chivas USA.. I mean they dont even have a squad or a City where they will be playing at. So it is difficult to say just how much i will be liking the team. If they were to play in L.A i would be inclined to be a regular follower than if they were in San Diego in which case i would only catch their games on TV..

Im hoping that things will turn up fine.. I dont want a funny looking logo and hoping they dont make any mistakes in trying to keep the teams tradition. I can see many people allready confused with Chivas desire to have a Latin American Style team.

9. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Re: Chivas

I actually believe that despite all the doomsayers' protests to the contrary, Chivas could well become a good thing. Rules shouldn't be broken, but the idea of a predominantly Mexican American team with Mexican SI's doesn't strike me as a bad deal at all. MLS has its fair share of teams that are majority anglo. Of course, Vergara's new team will have to make the reason for having a primarily Mexican heritage lineup be based on soccer ability and not race, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some unheard of Mexican Americans come to the surface. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few anglo or black players on the team just to keep the peace and fill out weak positions (no free rides, they need to have skills as well).

Unless MLS has some type of contract, I would expect that Vergara will hire someone to create the logo or have advisers assist in its creation if MLS people cook one up.

10. brassmonkey

brassmonkey Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Re: Re: The official we hate Chivas thread.....

Rock on! You may be a Roma fan, but your a fellow facist, and for that you deserve credit

11. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Re: Re: Re: The official we hate Chivas thread.....

Right, Stupidity=Fascism=Intellectually Deficient. There, you said it yourselves, and none could say it better.

You know, you Nazi nutsacks would have more credibility (as if that would be a good thing) if you could you know, spell and stuff.

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

12. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J

It's just your perception little shepherd boy... ;)

13. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I hate to rain on your crusade but I've seen little in the way of overt hatred on this thread. There has been plenty of derision and expressions of contempt. I've seen blustery and triumphal pronouncements. firstshirt had the honesty to declare his supposed "hatred" but that smacked of the benign "hatred" that limits itself to the context of sports. Riverplate, who is overtly pro-Chivas, got his digs in and uclacarlos in his well-intentioned but still clueless way said "*#*#*#*#*# you" to someone. So, the less than angelic rhetoric has not been limited to the anti-Chivas crowd.

And what the hell do you expect? A red carpet for these guys? Mexican football has a bad reputation up here. And it's deserved. Don't blame Easterners and Midwesterners for that.

Are we to greet Chivas USA, an experiment in cultural apartheid and one of the worst expressions of immigrant group primacy, with a round of applause?

Hey, the whole thing is controversial. Get used to the mudslinging. Become like someone from the East: toughen up.

14. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Facism, racism and prejudice rolled up into one ball of sh... erm, brooklyngladiator

Ah! Such terrific racism. I think I will help you spread the word of who you are by putting this in my sig. Congratulations!

15. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Granted, US fans -- that is to say lifelong fans of the US team -- have lots of axes to grind with Mexican footballers. Mexico has a lot to make up for, Luis Hernandez for starters. But still...

Well, yeah. Unless you are pure-bred Crow, Arapahoe, Delaware or something, get over it. It's the browning of America and you can no more stop it than the "nativists" could stop the Irish, Italian, etc. etc., immigrations in the 19th Century. But you could as you say, "toughen up," and well, accept it as part of the whole "American Thing." <black>Ya Dig?</black>

At least give them a chance to field a team and play a couple of games fer chrissakes. Or do we have to keep repeating the same cultural mistakes over, and over?

16. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Oh, like Los Aztecas is anything to write home about. The best you can say is its not Taco Johns. :D

Actually, it's not that bad and I ate there often, but how often can two guys from Dubuque spar on this board?

17. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Hey, I don't remember disagreeing here, except about Taco John's...It may be an AARP/Gannon center work farm, but I can't tell you how many times I've been magically summoned by a six-pack-and-a-pound at 2am......:D

18. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    See, that's where I disagree and that is where you are wrong. No group should be able to set itself apart. And where would it stop? I see the experiment and as an overt anti-assmilationist statement. If Chivas/Mexican-Americans/Mexicans/Hispanics will be allowed and encouraged to set themselves apart on the fields of play, what would stop everyone else from receding into their ethnicities?

I've just decided that I dislike Protestants. I won't play with them. I want to see a Boston-based all-Catholic team.

But I've just decided that I don't like Italians, Poles, Portuguese, French-Canadians, Lithuanians, Germans and Czechs. Well, I like them but I don't like the way they play soccer. As an Irish-American, I share a view of how the game should be played. It does not include anyone but Irish-Americans. No hard feelings, but if you're not Catholic and of Irish descent you can't play on our team.

Ah, but that's silly, isn't it? Not if you're Chivas. So, how the hell is everyone who believes in assimilation supposed to look at the Chivas experiment? It's a joke. And more irritating still are the setentious and superior boneheads who liberally hurl epithets like "racist" at those who raise their hands and who presume to educate and admonish those who aren't gushing empty, predictable platitudes about how great the whole thing is.

McBride Casey

Gaven Donovan Mulrooney Mullan

O'Brien

Berhalter Cullen Curtin

Garlick

The Boston Hibernian XI

Come and have a go, Orlando Perez and Daniel Hernandez.

Is that what you all want? We're heading that way.

19. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    And by the way, I was born in Rhode Island. That makes me American. Y se acabó la vaina.

20. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    You know what? You're right. I'm not really American. I'm Irish. My family and I just happen to be here on vacation for 140 years.

The problem is that our family in Ireland isn't really Irish because they are descendant in equal measure from invading Danes, some Anglo-Irish and Celts.

It's a real pain in the ass when it comes time to organize family reunions.

But don't worry; we're getting ready, all of us, to go back to Ireland so that the native American tribes that you mention can have their continent back. From Ireland, we'll head back to Denmark, England and Central Europe. It will be hard to pull it off but, hey, it's the right thing to do.

I'm sure that the native Americans who remain here we'll tire of having 10,000 square miles per brave, do the right thing and head back to Asia across the land bridge. But the land bridge is now gone so they better be careful because there will be no Coast Guard because everyone will have gone back to Europe to cram into a tenement somewhere.

In the meantime, while we wait patiently for our visas (or shall we just sneak back into Ireland because it's our right as humans?), we will treat everyone around us with hostility and suspicion. We will refuse to communicate in the common language. We will refuse to acknowledge the time-honored values that have served this country well because they are the values of dead, white Anglo-Americans that we, as modern day Celtic warriors, do not share.

So, if you're not one of us, look out...until we head back to Ireland...Denmark...England....

21. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Coo coo

...no really. Extremism at its finest.

22. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It was sort of a funny rant when you think about it. First, chowda makes rather dodgy comments towards a Mexican woman here, and then runs off on this tangent, apparently insulted by the 'racist' barb. So it was a bit hypocritical - especially the 'if you're not one of us' thing. And I coulda sworn I read somewhere where chowda said he was Colombian... meh. :D

Ignoring all of that, I have to say that from the perspective of having a team made up of only Mexican Americans... I don't like the premise of it. So this part I actually agree with. If that's what Chivas in Mexico is then that is another county but for the US it doesn't sit well. I did a spoof on this a few years ago with an article about "Harlem United FC", a team of all African Americans that "kept whitey out". :D So you have to wonder what sort of precedent this would make. Miami makes Corinthians USA, a team for Brazilian Americans. Etc. etc. A lot of US fans probably want the league to be like other US leagues and who can blame them. At the same time MLS needs to make more money.

23. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    My opinion follows three basic lines of thought:

1) MLS Chivas will not want to be the resident doormat.
    2) MLS Chivas will aim toward a heavily hispanic style team, probably all Mexican SI's, and Mexican Americans to fill out the rest of the rank and file. However, going back to #1, I doubt that there is a team and bench full of Mexican Americans at MLS caliber that will magically appear, hence the need to fill out the rest of the team with whomever meets the quality criteria. The Mexican American group will have to be skilled enough to hold their own or better against the rest of MLS, so the guys that make that cut deserve to be there just like any other player, regardless of their origins. The team will most likely be predominantly latin, just as many teams in MLS are predominantly white...hopefully because the talent Chivas uncovers makes it so.
    3) Let's show some grown-up patience and wait and see what happens, giving Garber the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, rather than reacting to the blah blah that comes out of the Vergara camp with all the savvy of two-year olds that missed nap time.

24. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Chivas

Originally posted by cl_hanley

I actually believe that despite all the doomsayers' protests to the contrary, Chivas could well become a good thing. Rules shouldn't be broken, but the idea of a predominantly Mexican American team with Mexican SI's doesn't strike me as a bad deal at all.

Chivas is going after the Mex-Am market first.. If it manages to get a hold on it then it will try to reach out to all other non Mexie fans. The main objective is obviously to go after the one market the MLS hasnt been able to reach and is at the moment where the money is at.. .

MLS has its fair share of teams that are majority anglo.

Which seems to be just fine with all the doomsayers despite the fact that the USMNT gets regualrly more away fans in their Home games, you have to wonder why all those away fans arent playing footy in MLS !?!?

Of course, Vergara's new team will have to make the reason for having a primarily Mexican heritage lineup be based on soccer ability and not race, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some unheard of Mexican Americans come to the surface.

I dont think there is much of a diffrence (Skill) between the inner city Mexie kids and all the rest of the players that end up making it to the MLS. People make it seems as if your dropping in a bunch of unexperienced players into Serie A. I wouldnt be surprised if Chivas USA squad composed of Local talent was better than many of the MLS 96 squads..

Unless MLS has some type of contract, I would expect that Vergara will hire someone to create the logo or have advisers assist in its creation if MLS people cook one up.

In one article i read it said that Vergara was having problems with the MLS over the Jersey. Vergara wants to have CHIVAS USA Kit completely Ad free like the one Guadalajara uses. However the MLS wants them to have one ad and im guessing the Citys name placed across the chest, uugh.. They are allready trying to modify the teams Image. Now add to that a wacked out cartoon Logo.. . Hopefully it wont end up like those horrible MLS 96 kits !!!

25. BrooklynGladiator

BrooklynGladiator New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    big up to Brooklyn
    MLS only allows 3 SI's per team, chief.....

dre