The Official Tony Amanpour Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bsman, Oct 26, 2004.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Until and unless we (sadly) learn otherwise, this guy deserves a healthy pat on the back and a thread of his own! I saw him in action at the SC city council meeting last month, and my wife was impressed with his demeanor during the game (one of these days, I'm going to NOT work a game and sit with my family for a game, but that's another story...) Anyway - I'm really impressed by what I've seen so far; this man seems to be the real deal, and I very much hope that he is able to swing a deal for the Quakes. I don't even care if he fires me (although for free, I'm a pretty good bargain :D), I have a feeling that he will run a tight, class organization from top to bottom and this is just what the Quakes need and have been lacking.

Therefore - Tony Amanpour - this thread's for you!

2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking of starting this thread too. There were some interesting comments on another thread about him stopping by the tailgate and saying some positive things. Whoever posted that should repeat it here.

I was also surprised and glad to see him on the ESPN broadcast giving the thumbs up. I can't imagine he would consent to that unless he was very sure he was buying the team. And I also suspect he intends to have a high ownership profile--somethig very new for MLS.

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I think it would be excellent to have an owner who viewed a team as something other than an investment or a way of maximizing the utilization of existing stadium assets. I would imagine that it might be rather trying for the coaches/managers (think Steinbrenner), but all in all I think that this kind of involvement would be very helpful especially for a team/sport that is just building its visibility. Think how useful it would be to have somebody with Amanpour's visibility and stature in the community when it comes to getting ink and airtime for the team - something that we can all acknowledge has been shamefully lacking.

4. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was just great at the tailgate. Generous with his time, generous with his praise of the fans, eager to meet them, patient, sincere, optimistic, personable, etc., etc., etc.

Of course, this is just how he comes off. He would make a very, very good politician. And as of now, he has my complete support.

No one knows how he would do if and when he finally owns the team. But he has the heart of a true fan and is showing the right instincts.

One thing he said that was particularly memorable (I'm paraphrasing): The league must succeed -- not just for the community, but also for the country. The USA must have a great soccer team, and this is one of his greatest concerns.

With an attitude like that, how can you not love the guy?

5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he has anything to do with the "Peace on Earth" sign that pops up every Christmas season on top of the building his office occupies. I nice gesture but it always makes me think of Dr. Strangelove...

6. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    to quote Eric Wynalda regarding Tony:

"He cares and that's cool."

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Both Amanpour and Vargera are going to very high profile, I believe. I'm not sure about Checketts, but we'll wait and see. We're slowly moving away from the single-entity structure. When all of the teams have ownership like this we might be able to move away from this system. Whattya think?

8. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember him saying that and thinking wow... he has a way with words haha

i think his thumbs up definitely gave some viewers hope, it did for me at least.

9. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

The MLS version of Jerry Jones? :D

10. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not closer to leaving the single-entity, but closer to giving each team it's own look and feel. Single-entity will be dismissed hopefully when all mls teams have their own stadiums.

11. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    That's not funny. How about the Mark Cuban of MLS? I'm a little easier with that...

12. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Yeah....ok.....I did watch "The Benifactor" last night and Cuban does like attention.

13. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so what exactly has to be done by the upcoming deadline? is there one deposit or 2? Hopefully it comes together because I don't see talks happening for another extention.

14. frenchy921

frenchy921 Member

Nov 22, 2003
    san francisco,ca
    do you guys know how to contact him directly? Direct line or email?
    Thanks

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right. It may not be quick, but it will happen eventually. If and when soccer moves closer to being a first-tier sport in this country, separate ownership of teams will be inevitable. I still like the salary cap idea, so that you avoid re-creation of situations like New York Yankees vs. San Diego Padres or ManU vs. (insert name of poor English team) and maintain a better balance.

16. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some highlights from the Sunday tailgate:

1. Either the team will be called the San Jose/Santa Clara Earthquakes, or the San Francisco Earthquakes.

2. Santa Clara will be soccer specific, while San Francisco will be a hotel, office complex, and stadium--he didn't mention a location, but the SBC parking lot is the rumored place.

3. He wants to attract at least several high profile USA matches per year in San Fran. He thinks the USA will be the home team playing in the City By the Bay compared to, say, the HDC, but that's his opinion.

4. He says keep coming to the games, though that won't be until next season, and if that' official we have a few days. Though I'll lean on the optimistic side.

Either way, once financial solvency can be achieved where the teams can at least be stable and competitive, the SEM system will slowly be phased out. As Albany58 mentioned, it's not going to be quick but eventually it will happen. No one wants a repeat of one team versus the rest of the league, and it all crashes down again.

I'm hoping it bodes well--I want to renew for 2005! Cheers!